Boat lift closed

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

Anyone know anymore about this? Due up there next week/early the week after.

Notice Alert

Intersection of:

Anderton Boat Lift to Anderton Boat Lift on Weaver Navigation

and

Basin Footbridge, Anderton Boat Lift to Basin Footbridge, Anderton Boat Lift on Trent & Mersey Canal

Wednesday 13 July 2016 12:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Structure failure

It's a broken cable apparently. I'm no expert but i doubt it'll take long to fix. The one good thing about the trip boat that goes up & down the lift is that it makes money for CRT and they won't want it out of action for long.

I'm down on the river next week. Give me a wave if you see me!

It's a broken cable apparently. I'm no expert but i doubt it'll take long to fix. The one good thing about the trip boat that goes up & down the lift is that it makes money for CRT and they won't want it out of action for long.

Probably due to all the weight you carry unsure.png

We were booked in this afternoon, evidently they had an issue with one of the cables & were working on it to replace, the lift was still operative just with a single cassion but then for health & safety reasons has to be closed while both cables checked out. Closed till at least Friday according to staff member, so we will hang out at the flashes & await developments.........

Don't think we will get there till the weekend. We don't set off till Saturday.

Which way round the 4c's do you go? Sure to see you somewhere along it.

We were booked in this afternoon, evidently they had an issue with one of the cables & were working on it to replace, the lift was still operative just with a single cassion but then for health & safety reasons has to be closed while both cables checked out. Closed till at least Friday according to staff member, so we will hang out at the flashes & await developments.........

Thanks for this. So shouldn't affect us. Due to take the grand kids through it when we get there.

Don't think we will get there till the weekend. We don't set off till Saturday.

Which way round the 4c's do you go? Sure to see you somewhere along it.

Clockwise.

Penkridge to Audlem over the next couple of days. Going down onto the Weaver on Tuesday.

Clockwise.

Penkridge to Audlem over the next couple of days. Going down onto the Weaver on Tuesday.

Should bump into you somewhere then as we are going the other way. Will not be up to Northwich till a week on Saturday I expect.

We were booked in for Wednesday afternoon and told that we might get up today, but far more likely Friday. There are far worse places to be delayed than the Weaver smile.png Currently moored near the lift, but will head down to Devil's Garden today, I think.

MP.

ETA. We came down the lift last trip on Friday, by ourselves. The lift is really spooky when you're all on your own; no other boat in

the caisson beside you, and no-one in the other caisson.

Edited by MoominPapa

If anyone wants to use the lift make sure it's between now and Monday!

I came down yesterday first passage and it stopped working after that.

Also the last time I went down onto the river I was delayed 4 hours down and 2 days up, so I think I'm a jinx.

Saw you earlier MP on the services at Northwich from the bridge as I was taking the dog for a walk. The Lister sounds nice.

If anyone wants to use the lift make sure it's between now and Monday!

I came down yesterday first passage and it stopped working after that.

Also the last time I went down onto the river I was delayed 4 hours down and 2 days up, so I think I'm a jinx.

Saw you earlier MP on the services at Northwich from the bridge as I was taking the dog for a walk. The Lister sounds nice.

We've gone down three times without a problem, but been delayed coming back up all three: low river level, computer says no, and now this broken cable problem. Anyway, back on the canal now and got the last mooring at the top.

The cable in question is the one that hoists the river-side gates - both the one sealing the river and the one sealing the caisson. I believe that's the one where they discovered that the safety bolts weren't actually strong enough to support the gate, so a good job that got fixed before the cable failed.. Guillotining boats/boaters is not a good PR move.

Lucy the Lister likes the river - all that deep water.

MP.