Short term license

baldlimey

Featured Posts

When I buy a one day license it starts on (say) 1st jul ends 2nd July.

My question is which of those 2 days am I licensed for? Tried asking C&RT licensing but didn't seem to be able to make my question clear.

So in my example is the 1st 2nd, both or 24 hours from sometime on the 1st to sometome on 2nd

Any helpful advice gratefully received

I would suggest it does what it says on the tin - A one day license covers you for the day on which it was issued (ending at midnight). If not it would be a 24 hour license.... but I may be wrong.

C&RTs definition (from the "General Canal Bylaws - Interpretation)

Terms
2. In these Bye-laws, except so far as the context otherwise requires, the following expressions have the meanings hereby respectively assigned to them, that is to say –

"authorised officer” means any officer, employee or agent of the Board acting in the execution of his duty upon or in connection with the canals.
“the Board” means the British Waterways Board

“canal” means any canal or inland navigation belonging to or under the control of the Board and includes any works, lands or premises belonging to or under the control of the Board and held or used by them in connection with such canal or inland navigation

“composite craft” means a series of vessels not being power driven vessels towed by a power-driven vessel and so joined as to form a unit under single control

“day” means the period between sunrise and sunset

Does that help ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

“day” means the period between sunrise and sunset

Does that help ?

If that were applied, a one day licence would begin at sunrise and end at sunset on the same day.

The OP says they are spread over two days.

I'd say he could argue the toss that the whole of the second day is included. After all, the piece of paper issued states it ends on 'X' date and doesn't state a time of expiry.

No he doesn't.

He asks if it is for the day of issue, or, spread over two days, or ??????

Yes he does!

"When I buy a one day license it starts on (say) 1st jul ends 2nd July."

(He is stating this as a fact)

Yes he does!

"When I buy a one day license it starts on (say) 1st jul ends 2nd July."

(He is stating this as a fact)

I disagree - the addition of the 'say' is suggesting that this is just an example - not a fact

I have never bought a one day licence so I do not know what they actually say, I can only go on what is written.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I disagree - the addition of the 'say' is suggesting that this is just an example - not a fact

I have never bought a one day licence so I do not know what they actually say, I can only go on what is written.

I take it to mean the opposite. That the Op regularly buys one day licences and the end date printed on the licence is the day following the start date. His use of the word 'say' was simply to choose a pair of dates to use as an illustration.

Perhaps the OP can clarify? Do you know for a fact that the end date is a day after the start date? I'd have expected a one day licence to state just the day it was valid for.

(The Thames rules are odd, and different by the way.)

If that were applied, a one day licence would begin at sunrise and end at sunset on the same day.

The OP says they are spread over two days.

I'd say he could argue the toss that the whole of the second day is included. After all, the piece of paper issued states it ends on 'X' date and doesn't state a time of expiry.

That's pretty much what happens on the Thames, in my (limited) experience.

I believe that a one day licence on the Thames is valid only on the day of issue.

Bob

You believe wrong

A Thames one day licence issued on the 1st is valid until midnight on the 2nd

When I buy a one day license it starts on (say) 1st jul ends 2nd July.

My question is which of those 2 days am I licensed for? Tried asking C&RT licensing but didn't seem to be able to make my question clear.

So in my example is the 1st 2nd, both or 24 hours from sometime on the 1st to sometome on 2nd

Any helpful advice gratefully received

In your example I'd take it to be valid from 00:00 to 24:00 on the 1st July only.

Maybe the question to ask CRT is "What TIME does my one day licence become valid from and what TIME does it expire?"

If thay are confused by that then maybe they don't know eithwr. :)

I can clarify the dates were an example but it does always say start date the day you ask it to be valid from end date the day after so the last one I bought said start date 31st May end date 1st June.

Then my 'literal' take on that would be that it is valid 'UNTIL' the 1st June.

ie :- it ends as soon as 1st June starts.

It would, however, be more beneficial to the user if you read it as 'ending' midnight on the 1st June.

I don't think any great hassle will come to anyone using it over the 'two-days' - its not worth losing sleep over.

My understanding is, If you buy a EA on day licence on the Thames at Teddington today at 04:00 (4th July) it will expire at 23:59 on 5th July so you get 2 days boating for your £32.

From their website the term "day" is the 24 hours commencing after midnight and finishing at midnight.

My understanding is, If you buy a EA on day licence on the Thames at Teddington today at 04:00 (4th July) it will expire at 23:59 on 5th July so you get 2 days boating for your £32.

From their website the term "day" is the 24 hours commencing after midnight and finishing at midnight.

You are correct in your understanding. This thread is however, trying to estsblish if the same thing applies to CRT one day licences.