best way to bag up domestic waste

magnetman

Featured Posts

I've been thinking about this for a long time. I realise it is a very contencious (sp?) Topic but it needs to be addressed properly by the wide range of experiences found on this magnificent forum.

I use carrier bags normally for domestic waste but with the new tax it is becoming increasingly more awkward to acquire free ones. The beer shop does free carrier bags but they are small and low quality not really up to the job.

The woman has decided to -buy- small bin liners :huh:

We have a small bin.

Anyway please keep this on topic and try not to post any jokes or offensive stuff in case of trouble with the powers that be.

Cheap bin liner bags, if they accidentally tear due to the contents, double-bag it. I don't think there is a massive environmental issue with them going into a recognised waste facility, the issue with plastic bags was partly that they didn't biodegrade (but that's been addressed...albeit the biodegrading is slow) and partly that they would end up in places other than the proper waste facility.

Of course in an ideal world you'd split all the rubbish and recycle all you can, but on the confines of a boat this isn't pragmatic. In winter time you can kinda do it by burning rubbish which can be burnt, eg cardboard/paper packing.

The woman has decided to -buy- small bin liners huh.png

We have a small bin.

Anyway please keep this on topic and try not to post any jokes or offensive stuff in case of trouble with the powers that be.

Check the price of them against carrier bags which tend to be stronger and have convenient handles

I wish recycling could be addressed more effectively..at house Ive a series of bins and I recycle maybe 95% of rubbish. On boat it all seems to go into one lot. I tend to use a cheap black bin bag and then get rid when full..it saves using lots of little bags and i tuck it out of sight...again not ideal but it worries me using lots of bags.

paper and cardboard in summer go into fire and its lit every so often. I am now using the bags for fruit and veg these when fullish I put into old coalbags until I am at refuse point where I tip them out.

Check the price of them against carrier bags which tend to be stronger and have convenient handles

Yes I think carrier bags are OK and 5p is not too serious really. The shop which I do not enter (aka Lidl) has little bin liners which are apparently 3p each and the other half gets those so perhaps its all ok after all.

And yes we do same with paper and cardboard in the fire all year round.

...the issue with plastic bags was partly that they didn't biodegrade (but that's been addressed...albeit the biodegrading is slow) and partly that they would end up in places other than the proper waste facility.

And since the UK has few proper waste facilities for biodegradables, especially those that have been in contact with food, there's the rub.

ABPO (animal by-products orders) implemented after the last foot and mouth outbreak prevent the composting of biodegradable plastics unless treated within in-vessel systems. So for food waste and plastics in contact with food open windrows composting is out I'm afraid. The UK has few large scale in-vessel composting or anaerobic digestion facilities.

So we are left with recycling, landfill, and incineration (with energy recovery).

You definitely don't want biodegradable plastics anywhere near the first two - contaminating recycling streams or possibly releasing methane in landfill (landfill is best suited to stable, inert materials), while for incineration biodegradables offer no benefits over conventional plastics.

I put mine in a carrier bag. 5p is no big deal, i can normally accumulate a reasonable stash. I usually pass at least one bin per day so i just chuck them once they are about three quarters full.

Eta...anything burnable goes on the fire in winter.

It's the paying to advertise the shop I object to. Primark provide paper bags free of charge

But primark is full of rubbish tatt produced in sweatshops, why would anyone want to shop there and advertise the fact? Free or not?!!!

We use carrier bags from our stash collected over several years of home delivered shopping.

Not an endless supply but will last a year or two yet.

I only recycle glass because there aren't the facilities locally to recycle anything else. And it costs me a £10 round trip in a taxi to do the glass.

Card and paper I burn whatever time of year it is. And food stuff gets fed to the birds or fish. But I'd much prefer being able to recycle more.

As for bin bags, I used tie handle garden refuse bags. They're strong and don't need double bagging. The only stuff I don't put in them is decomposey stuff like meat bones and packaging. That goes into a carrier bag which is easier to dispose of when out and about without a special trip to the rubbish point.