Do you ever get one of those days?

Featured Posts

Got to stripping some paint off the boat roof this morning with my ancient angle grinder and a rotary brush. Got everything on the roof and switched the angle grinder on, when nothing happened. Realising I hadn't switched the inverter on got down again and switched it on. Then it happened, the bloody switch on ancient angle grinder was locked on and it jumped in the canal whilst running. RCD tripped instantly (at least I know that works) and I dragged my poor old grinder out of the cut, to find it had picked up a plastic bag after its diving activities. Left it on the roof to dry for an hour in the sun, and after an initial spray of water from within, off he went again. Got the job done after all. Not bad for a 30 year old angle grinder :)

I have dropped lots of stuff in the cut, but a running power tool is a first for me. rolleyes.gif

lol CW, is it a Bosch by any chance, used to be god many moons ago. If its still going after the job is finished i think it deserves a treat of....not a clue, a grease up and new bearings now after the attempt to drown it.

To make you feel better i have them days every day i reckon. I should stay in bed most days.

I have a 30 yr old Bosch Grinder that is used hard most days and still going - problem is it also has a switch that can be left on - many times has it jumped around but lucky never caused harm. - at least its one bag out the cut so a bonus for all. wink.png

Got to stripping some paint off the boat roof this morning with my ancient angle grinder and a rotary brush. Got everything on the roof and switched the angle grinder on, when nothing happened. Realising I hadn't switched the inverter on got down again and switched it on. Then it happened, the bloody switch on ancient angle grinder was locked on and it jumped in the canal whilst running. RCD tripped instantly (at least I know that works) and I dragged my poor old grinder out of the cut, to find it had picked up a plastic bag after its diving activities. Left it on the roof to dry for an hour in the sun, and after an initial spray of water from within, off he went again. Got the job done after all. Not bad for a 30 year old angle grinder smile.png

I have dropped lots of stuff in the cut, but a running power tool is a first for me. rolleyes.gif

You think that is bad angle grinder experince?. About three weeks ago, I was cutting a paving slab with my angle grinder, and it slipped, cutting into my fore finger, creating a deep,cut. I managed to avouid fainting and, fortunatly, I did not cut a tendon, but it has taken since then to heal. Now that was a bad day experience

Edited by David Schweizer

It is a really old Black and Wrecker. Should have had it put down years ago really. It has an awkward 10mm spindle size so accessories are a bit harder to come by. I need it to last until autumn then I might replace it :)

You think that is bad angle grinder experince?. About three weeks ago, I was cutting a paving slab with my angle grinder, and it slipped, cutting into my fore finger, creating a deep,cut. I managed to avouid fainting and, fortunatly, I did not cut a tendon, but it has taken since then to heal. Now that was a bad day experience

Not nice at all. They can be unforgiving at times. Glad you are improving now though, and didn't do anyhting more serious.

I have a 30 yr old Bosch Grinder that is used hard most days and still going - problem is it also has a switch that can be left on - many times has it jumped around but lucky never caused harm. - at least its one bag out the cut so a bonus for all. wink.png

clapping.gif

Those lock in switches are nasty. We weren't allowed to use power tools with them at one place where I worked. They were removed from leccy drills etc.

tut tut,no elf n safty there i see, no PPE. you should of had a hard hat on, you would of bee fine then ;)

It is a really old Black and Wrecker. Should have had it put down years ago really. It has an awkward 10mm spindle size so accessories are a bit harder to come by. I need it to last until autumn then I might replace it smile.png

Not nice at all. They can be unforgiving at times. Glad you are improving now though, and didn't do anyhting more serious.

clapping.gif

Those lock in switches are nasty. We weren't allowed to use power tools with them at one place where I worked. They were removed from leccy drills etc.

i have almost thrown mine away many times especially when using 1.5mm discs but it works so well - plus its good if i have a polishing mop on as i dont get tired holding the switch in for ages.

I love my belt sander. It has one of those lock-on switches. Let go of it, or plug it in without checking, and next thing I am chasing a belt sander as it rushes round at the limit of its tethering mains lead.

I have been led to believe there is a belt sander racing community.

We can compare angle grinder injuries next time we meet. I have a beauty on my upper thigh

Richard

We can compare angle grinder injuries next time we meet. I have a beauty on my upper thigh

Richard

"Oh, hello Sue. Why do I have my trousers down? And why has David taken his shirt off? Well, we're comparing angle grinder injuries.

Yes, really."

Richard

I used to do a moderately dangerous job, trees, live power lines, ropes and chainsaws and it rarely bothered me, angle grinders on the other hand scare the poo out of me, hate em, absolutely hate em

I used to do a moderately dangerous job, trees, live power lines, ropes and chainsaws and it rarely bothered me, angle grinders on the other hand scare the poo out of me, hate em, absolutely hate em

Angle grinders are sort of OK. Circular saws - now they are very scary

Richard

I spent the long hot summer of 76 working in a chicken processing plant cutting chickens up into portions using a circular saw. It had a guard on it but the guard had to deflect enough to get a bird through.

We used to get £1 a week extra because it was dangerous work!

9inch angle grinders are the ones to watch out for.

the unwary are amazed when the gyroscopic effect tries to tear them out of your hands as they speed up.

once they are running at top speed they are a doddle, but don't try to twist them - gyro takes control again.

9inch angle grinders are the ones to watch out for.

the unwary are amazed when the gyroscopic effect tries to tear them out of your hands as they speed up.

once they are running at top speed they are a doddle, but don't try to twist them - gyro takes control again.

Yep - those are scary!

Richard

I spent the long hot summer of 76 working in a chicken processing plant cutting chickens up into portions using a circular saw. It had a guard on it but the guard had to deflect enough to get a bird through.

We used to get £1 a week extra because it was dangerous work!

Not half as dangerous as it was for the chickens!

Tim