Air Conditioning Fit

Featured Posts

Bit of a random one! I am thinking of fitting one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceiling-Mounted-Cassette-Air-Conditioning-/152096043083to my boat as it was up to 45c today! and it isn't even "summer" yet.

Where would be the best place to locate the condenser?

All electric is in place and I have 63a 3 phase at my disposal so lots of power clapping.gif

45 C ?..............Your`e kidding ?

That`s like the absolute worst of our summers here ....where are you boating , hell ?biggrin.png

It has been a warm weekend!

We got back home yesterday, and opened the door into the conservatory. The heat was incredible, such that just going in there to open the outside door was physically painful.

Before committing to Air-Con I would suggest considering "Climate Control"

This works by using sea water to heat / cool a heat exchanger.

When switched onto 'cool' it uses the cold of the sea water to cool the air, but when you need heating it takes the 'heat' out of the water to heat the air.

Also maintains the humidity at reasonable level - no more dry throats from air-con, or condensation on the windows from heating.

As generally we think that there is more need for heating than cooling in this country, (but on hot days it is nice to be cool) we decided to 'have a look'.

We are considering fitting it into our new boat and have been doing some investigation into the system. Don't ask me how it works, but it will provide 'hot-air' with water temperature as low as 5oC (It seems that the only area that gets that low (in the Winter) is the Northern half of the North Sea, the South Coast and West Coast remain considerably higher and therefore the system works more efficiently.

One example here (other sizes available):

http://marine.dometicgroup.com/en/climate_systems_6411.php

With a 22 amp starting current (5kW surge) you might want to check if your inverter could start it up before spending your money. I am not sure if smaller shore power supplies could either.

The OP says he has a 63A three phase supply to his boat!

The unit you are looking at on ebay is as stated a ceiling unit. and is designed to fit in a suspended ceiling. you would need to cut a masive

hole in your roof to install it and the main control unit would be much higher that the roof which could cause you some

navigation issues. The condensers are normally fitted on the roof or to an outside wall such as the front or rear bulkheads.

It might be better to paint your roof white !!! or if you are still looking at AC try to get a split through wall unit.

• 3 years later...
8 minutes ago, SteveGranger said:

I have visited that shared link but as an [removed link] expert i doesn't find it useful at all.

We might all need AC if you really do look like Rafael Lazzini ?

So who are you really and why would an AC company in what appears to be Las Angeles be any good to anybody in Great Britain ???

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

We might all need AC if you really do look like Rafael Lazzini ?

So who are you really and why would an AC company in what appears to be Las Angeles be any good to anybody in Great Britain ???

Yup - 110v aint much use to us on this side of the pond buddy !!!

and why reactivate a zombie thread?

I seem to be getting a fair bit of this on the magazine forum. I think it is some far eastern "web optimisation" outfit trying to increase their clients web site visits. The last lot we got was for refrigeration "experts" in the UAE - from nominally two different people.

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

and why reactivate a zombie thread?

I seem to be getting a fair bit of this on the magazine forum. I think it is some far eastern "web optimisation" outfit trying to increase their clients web site visits. The last lot we got was for refrigeration "experts" in the UAE - from nominally two different people.

The problem is just by clicking on the link to verify it's spam you upped his click through rate (and been contaminated with his cookies which is just nasty) so they win either way. 

Edited by Tumshie

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

The problem is just by clicking on the link to verify it's spam you upped his click through rate (and been contaminated with his cookies which is just nasty) so the win either way. 

My browser is set to reject cookies and if that breaks a site then I don't use that site. I have just checked and as I expected no cookies form the site in question or from the ones sent to the magazine's forum.

I usually look ate the web address to see where the site is hosted.