Any thoughts on this boat?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I've been looking to upgrade my boat for a while now. I'm looking for something with a large tug deck so I can carry a mid size motor bike. I also fancy something traditional. I've noticed this:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=472440​

Any thoughts on this boat? Particularly regarding the engine, which I'm not familiar with. Also whether it seems to be reasonably priced. And any other thoughts.

Thanks

If you need a big deck space to carry a bike and traditional i think you need to look for something in the late 30s wooden with a bolinder.

Its a nice boat but i dont think there would be much space at the front for a bike looks a bit small an area. Wouls be very cramped.

Looks nicer with the cratch down.

Seams a little expencive to me for the length???

£85K for a 2001 Hudson.

I'lol bet that's not far off the original purchase price.

When we were looking in 2014 I nearly bought a 2004 Hudson with a BD3 for £55k. It was in need of a repaint though.

Do you get extra rivets incase you knock one off?

me a seasoned boater, knock one off - no not I

I lettered Marta when she was new, my decorative work still survives in the porthole covers. The fake rivets are an ugly touch, to my eyes.

Dave

It's the dosh not the rivets which I struggle with otherwise hmmmm one can dream. although to be fair I think for such a beauty it's a good price

Edited by Midnight

Dave Harris is a well respected boat builder, who I believe has now retired.

I think the engine will be a Sabb (not Saab who were car and plane makers).

They are proper small marine engines were fitted to lifeboats and small fishing vessels.

Edited to change "Sabbath" back to wot I rote (Sabb)

Edited by cuthound

Having seen her in the flesh it is a lovely boat. Bit worrying that the photos are I would say 2 years old as it has not been at Knighton for a couple of years. May need the hull plating by now. Defford get a survey

I've no idea what's going on with the links but it's the 60ft Dave Harris tug that caught my eye. Saab engine, any thoughts?

The engine is a 30ish hp Sabb 2 pot, not Saab no conection with the automotive producer they are/were a proper marine unit not a marinised industrial unit slow "thumpers" to me a nice exhaust note the guy at bottom lock at Braunston is the go to guy from other threads back in my day spares were redily available but that was a while back I cannot say if they are still the same I don't think you would have a lot of "agro" if the unit has been looked after/serviced a friend has the 1pot unit in his boat & IIRC it had run close to 9000 hrs without anything but routine servicing/maintainance

If I had the money this one would tempt me

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=459303

Those are quite truly some of the most over the top fake rivets I have ever seen.

Don't the people who build boats like this ever look at what it is they are trying to fake before having a go at their "copy"?

• Greenie 1

Dave Harris is no longer building new steelwork at Dadford's Shed, health issues being responsible. I believe he is working elsewhere with another builder doing smaller repairs etc. still in the Midlands. A sad loss to the industry, in my opinion, Dave has an eye for a good looking boat.

Dave

Dave Harris is no longer building new steelwork at Dadford's Shed, health issues being responsible. I believe he is working elsewhere with another builder doing smaller repairs etc. still in the Midlands. A sad loss to the industry, in my opinion, Dave has an eye for a good looking boat.

Dave

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, he indeed builds some of the better boats based on former working craft.

We are slowly losing many of the most experienced steel-workers, and not many new ones seem ready to step into their shoes.

Mind you, conversations I have had with several people recently seem to indicate new build narrow boats are almost non existent whilst ugly great wide beams are still being craned in by the dozen.

Those are quite truly some of the most over the top fake rivets I have ever seen.

Don't the people who build boats like this ever look at what it is they are trying to fake before having a go at their "copy"?

And why, for bog's sake, would there be rivets around a recessed panel?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, he indeed builds some of the better boats based on former working craft.

We are slowly losing many of the most experienced steel-workers, and not many new ones seem ready to step into their shoes.

Mind you, conversations I have had with several people recently seem to indicate new build narrow boats are almost non existent whilst ugly great wide beams are still being craned in by the dozen.

Would you like this Alan?

• 31Sx1jh2j0L._AC_US160_.jpg
    Yes about boat builders. Dave Thomas at Braunston offered his business free to any young lad who would do an apprenticeship with him. Sadly he had no takers.
Edited by Ray T

And why, for bog's sake, would there be rivets around a recessed panel?

The only reason I can think of it because, for whatever reason, somebody was prepared to pay extra for them!

They do look weird, don't they? :lol:

But surely riveting is a traditional way to secure a wooden panel?

But can you produce a picture of a boat with real life wooden panelling that looks even remotely like what they have come up with there?