NBTA protest

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Nothing like playing to a stereotype - narrowboat, ah yes, must be concertinas and accordions! Wandering Vagabond mentioned the old hippie convoy - it's like a time warp. And I've never yet met anyone convinced by someone screaming down a megaphone. Perhaps it wasn't all like that - as OP says, anyone go to give a better picture?

• Greenie 1

The channel 4 news peice shows Mr Grimes ( CRT head of boating ) say on national TV that the problem has been caused in part by the trusts OWN INTERPRETATION of the law. You can see that he realises immediately what he has just said, and that he has just destroyed the trusts entire argument.

C4 news is usually drivel, but this time they have hit pure gold.

• Greenie 1

Why has that destroyed the argument? After all, it is their interpretation of the law, same as someone with a different view has theirs. What matters is which interpretation the courts uphold. And as they usually go with the money, I'd bet on CRT's being upheld rather than the opposite.

I saw the protest on ITV and failed to be persuaded by the protesters that they have been wronged. By their own admission they were failing to abide by the 14 day ruling nor making any attempt at completing 20 miles onward travel a year. They cited having children and local jobs as the reason they chose to ignore the terms they had agreed to on their license.

The vast majority of CCers manage but it does take some effort which these individuals seemed unwilling to make.

Phil

Maybe bringing kids up and having a job to do is more important to them...

Maybe bringing kids up and having a job to do is more important to them...

A long time ago I was part of a co-operative housing association and we had a number of residents (wealthy upper middle class students) who said that having a good time and overseas holidays was more important to them than paying rent. Maybe paying rent was just a thing for the working class members???

.......................Dave

A long time ago I was part of a co-operative housing association and we had a number of residents (wealthy upper middle class students) who said that having a good time and overseas holidays was more important to them than paying rent. Maybe paying rent was just a thing for the working class members???

.......................Dave

How is bringing kids up and trying to hold down a job got anything to do with holidays and having a good time? Come to think about it, what's it got to do with wealthy upper middle class kids?

So having kids and a job absolve you from all responsibility whole the rest of us just stick to the ruled/law

Phil

No, but it's interesting to note where people's priorities lie.

It was also interesting to note, merely by observation of course that the percentage of protesters of child bearing age so to speak and of working age seemed rather low. The cameras did spend quite a long time focused on one bearded individual who was mooring with his centre line using multiple knots, rather made me wonder just how much of a boater he was and was he representative of the rest of the MK moorers, not so much boaters as cheap homers maybe.

Phil

It was also interesting to note, merely by observation of course that the percentage of protesters of child bearing age so to speak and of working age seemed rather low. The cameras did spend quite a long time focused on one bearded individual who was mooring with his centre line using multiple knots, rather made me wonder just how much of a boater he was and was he representative of the rest of the MK moorers, not so much boaters as cheap homers maybe.

Phil

Well there are far more people from all walks of life who can't afford a home, who couldn't or wouldn't live on a boat. It does come down to whether you feel the waterways should be cleansed of people who do wish to live on a boat and have family commitments and jobs, or not. Who knows, liveaboard CC'ers might be next!

Some people of course do live on boats which don't move on some residential moorings. Are we saying you can't be called a boater if you don't move?

I'm all for using brown field sites in London to accommodate more of these type of residential moorings. Benefits can be used to help pay for mooring fees where necessary. Where they are not causing a problem in areas outside cities, why not just leave them alone?

Well there are far more people from all walks of life who can't afford a home, who couldn't or wouldn't live on a boat. It does come down to whether you feel the waterways should be cleansed of people who do wish to live on a boat and have family commitments and jobs, or not. Who knows, liveaboard CC'ers might be next!

Some people of course do live on boats which don't move on some residential moorings. Are we saying you can't be called a boater if you don't move?

I'm all for using brown field sites in London to accommodate more of these type of residential moorings. Benefits can be used to help pay for mooring fees where necessary. Where they are not causing a problem in areas outside cities, why not just leave them alone?

Thats what has caused this problem leaving them alone! Now the numbers are a problem in fact in 2008 they were a problem when a lot of boats were cleared off the K & A and ended up all over the place! How do I know? I was trying to go down the K & A but couldnt for the numbers coming out so gave up and sailed off

The only reason there is conflict is because people choose not to abide by the terms and conditions which they agreed to when obtaining a license simple as that.

Phil

• Greenie 2

The only reason there is conflict is because people choose not to abide by the terms and conditions which they agreed to when obtaining a license simple as that.

Phil

T&C's which CRT have been making up as they go along though. The law is pretty simple though, I'll give you that.

• Greenie 2