NBTA protest

bassplayer

Featured Posts

it is not 'affordable housing' but 'Affordable Housing'. That is it is a technical term which is precisely defined and used in such as planning rules. But yes, it has long since meant something that is affordable.

What's The Difference Apart From The Capitals?

But "affordable" by whom? You or I could probably afford it, the bloke kipping under the bridge couldn't. It really is a rather silly term.

The reason that 'affordable' is used instead of 'cheap' is because cheap equates to crap.

Not nesser-celery. "Cheap fares to Spain" doesn't mean that the aeroplane is more ramshackle than one which charges higher fares.

But "affordable" by whom? You or I could probably afford it, the bloke kipping under the bridge couldn't. It really is a rather silly term.

That's nothing. Someone on this forum was talking about a "narrow boat" the other day. I mean, "narrow" compared to what? A Dutch barge? A kayak? Completely meaningless, unless the term has some technical meaning I'm pretending not to know about.

That's nothing. Someone on this forum was talking about a "narrow boat" the other day. I mean, "narrow" compared to what? A Dutch barge? A kayak? Completely meaningless, unless the term has some technical meaning I'm pretending not to know about.

Meaning it will fit in a narrow lock I believe, so not really compared to anything.

Are people afraid of using the word "cheap"? I have noticed this expression "affordable housing" being bandied about a fair bit recently, and it's a meaningless one, in that every house or flat is affordable for someone, but equally there are some people for whom buying even the cheapest dwelling will not be within their means, so nothing's "affordable" to them even if it's cheap.

Fully agree

As I am sure you are aware there is a legal definition :

“narrow canal boat” means a vessel having a beam of less than seven feet six inches

Not nesser-celery. "Cheap fares to Spain" doesn't mean that the aeroplane is more ramshackle than one which charges higher fares.

What I was trying to say is that Affordable Housing is a technical term with a precise definition. Sadly, that definition does not chime with most people's perception of what they or others might be able to afford. Hence many comments are at odds with the 'official' statements on these matters.

What I was trying to say is that Affordable Housing is a technical term with a precise definition.

Oh, I have heard politicians mention it, yes. But how on earth can the definition be precise when, as mentioned above, "affordable" means different things to different people?

Oh, I have heard politicians mention it, yes. But how on earth can the definition be precise when, as mentioned above, "affordable" means different things to different people?

Affordable as in the cheapest accommodation within an area one would assume. Though whether or not the cheapest price is affordable is another matter!

Affordable as in the cheapest accommodation within an area one would assume. Though whether or not the cheapest price is affordable is another matter!

My point entirely! To Donald Trump, it will be. To you or me, it may be. To Billy the Boozer slumped on a park bench with his tin of mega-strength lager, it won't be (but at least he won't care).

My point entirely! To Donald Trump, it will be. To you or me, it may be. To Billy the Boozer slumped on a park bench with his tin of mega-strength lager, it won't be (but at least he won't care).

Surely calling the housing 'cheap' would be more confusing? A property is 'affordable' if it is subsidised to be below the market price for an area, so relatively to other properties it is more affordable, doesn't say it is cheap though.

Yes I think affordable is intended a relative term using local prices as the guide.

I agree that "subsidised housing" would be a more accurate and honest description but possibly less attractive for some.

Yes I think affordable is intended a relative term using local prices as the guide.

I agree that "subsidised housing" would be a more accurate and honest description but possibly less attractive for some.

I think if you can afford to be picky about the term 'subsidised housing' you probably don't need itrolleyes.gif. A bit like 'sheltered' housing, if you are uncomfortable with the term you probably aren't in need of it.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Used in planning it refers to a percentage of local market values. Hence, in expensive areas, 'Affordable' means a lot more than in less expensive places. But various local authorities and central government had created a whole plethora of schemes all dubbed affordable - but few really are. Some planning authorities establish criteria for new build applications that they must contain certain proportion of affordable houses. However, in many cases they also have a scale of fees which can be paid in lieu of meeting the requirement. Some quite untidy bargaining goes on.

see https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/3626918/1663511-website-template.pdfas an example of the complexities.

Edited by Mike Todd

I saw a narrow boat with -what appeared to be- nobody steering it once. Turned out they had a wheel steering system in the front of the cabin !! Very strange to see an apparently unattended boat driving along the cut. The tiller was moving as if steered by a ghost.

That was probably Ocean Princess. She is actually designed to go to sea. Owned by James Griffin, of Wyvern Narrowboats.

Bob

its not a housing solution and it never can be, it's just way too small a space. When you see how busy just 4000 boats has made it (that's incl boats on moorings) - the canals are full here, now, if you ask me and if we had one liveaboard per boat that would be only 0.04% of Londons entire population on the canal. I support the NBTA campaign but I've said it elsewhere there does seem to be a collective denial that London is now full and a faliure to understand that you can't have every inch of towpath moored as you are't the only users.

Point well made. Virtual greenie.