Best 12v vacuum cleaner for narrowboat that's NOT a Dyson?

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

I have the older Electrolux version off this which I can run from a 600W inverter. Very good suction and coming up to 10 years old now. I can use normal vacuum heads on the hose extension and have even abused it hoovering up stray stove ash. Just wash the cloth filter off once a month if under heavy use and is great, The motor driven brush is great for carpets and optimum for an area the size of a boat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AEG-AG71a-RapidClean-Handheld-Cleaner/dp/B00F3U1R4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462948220&sr=8-1&keywords=Stair+and+Car+Handheld

What's the best 12v hand-held type vacuum cleaner you've come across, at a reasonable price, for use a couple of times a month on dusty and cat-trodden carpets?

(My beef with Dyson is that the trigger switch on our £170 'Animal' cleaner packed up after less than 20hrs use. As it's out of warrenty all Dyson will offer are modular replacement parts totalling £135.)

Dyson gives a 5 year guarantee on its vacuum cleaners and two years on handheld vacs. https://www.dyson.co.uk/support/guarantee.aspx

Outside the guarantee you have the protection (for 6 years or 5 in Scotland) of the Consumer Rights Act (from Oct 2015) or the Sale of Goods Act prior to this. Your rights are with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Most retailers will say that they can do nothing once the manufacturer's guarantee is expired or send you to the manufacturer, which has no legal responsibility, so it's worth taking a printed copy of evidence that the retailer is responsible.

The CRA/SoGA is not a guarantee and does not cover wear and tear or misuse, but there is a requirement for goods to be durable. How long they can be expected to last is not defined but if a vacuum cleaner has failed after a few years and has not been mistreated or heavily used then it would be reasonable to ask for a repair. If parts are not available, the retailer could offer a payment instead.

Remember that it's the retailer not the manufacturer that is legally liable.

I'm very impressed with the V6. We have a slightly older version on the boat, a DCnn, which is also very good. BUT: ash from the stove will block the filter very quickly, so you have to use it with moderation around the fire, and even half the dust in the rest of the boat is probably from the stove, and even finer.

So, I think the handheld Dysons are very good for the boat, but you must check the filter regularly if you have SF stove.

Incidently, Dyson have just brought a new one, the V8, which is claimed to have twice the battery run time as the V6. Bit pricey though! (Probably why they have been selling the V6 with a big discount.)

Yes, i was having this trouble with the trigger on my dyson for a while and lost the rag with it last Saturday. I gave it a couple of good whacks on the back of the head and it decided to go back to work. ....judge.gifjudge.gifjudge.gif

Ho ho. Sounds interesting. I may get into that headspace yet ...

Must have been something wrong with your then. Mine is AWESOME, with equal suction power to any mains vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. ...

I agree that the Dyson Animal technically is probably the best hoover I've had (good suction, picks up cat hair, compact) ... when it worked.

Here's the rub. I used it 2 - 3 times per month for about 10 minutes each time. For just over 3 years.

Here's the maths: 2.5 x 10min = 25min/month x 40 months = 1000 minutes = 16.7 hours. Now it doesn't work.

I really question the integrity of any product whose operating life is less than 20 hours.

I also really question the integrity of Dyson who, after many emails and a half hour telephone conversation explaining in detail what appears (to me) to be an electrical switch problem, have never once offered to have a look at the vacuum. Their response has been, throughout, to sell me replacement modules to the tune of £135. After less than 20 hours use!

I use a Makita 7.2v vacuum cleaner. Still available new I think

It runs on makita 7.2v stick batteries (old type). I also have the Makita drill,jigsaw,sander,angle drill and angle grinder running off the same 7.2v stick batteries.

Would probably be a bit awkward if you only had the vac but with the other equipment it all works out quite nicely.

It is a good vacuum cleaner. I think they do them for most other voltages so if you happen to use a makita power tool anyway you may be able to get a 'bare' vac for it.

They do a 12v one which runs on makita 12v batteries - I suppose directly wiring that to the boats 12v supply may work? Might be safer to use the 14.4 version .

I very much like the idea of the Makita 'system' and swappable, re-chargeable batteries.

Makita's are known for their robustness aren't they?

We bought a sweeper from a charity shop years ago. We have two dogs that drop hair all over the place. The sweeper does a first class job. End to end of the boat requires at least two empties.

We either have a muckie boat or a very efficient sweeper.

Martyn

You know, a sweeper almost sounds even better. And presumably it can be folded flat against a closet wall.

I bought a stiff bristled brush and sweep tray ... but it doesn't really do the cat hair.

Dyson gives a 5 year guarantee on its vacuum cleaners and two years on handheld vacs. https://www.dyson.co.uk/support/guarantee.aspx

Outside the guarantee you have the protection (for 6 years or 5 in Scotland) of the Consumer Rights Act (from Oct 2015) or the Sale of Goods Act prior to this. Your rights are with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Most retailers will say that they can do nothing once the manufacturer's guarantee is expired or send you to the manufacturer, which has no legal responsibility, so it's worth taking a printed copy of evidence that the retailer is responsible.

The CRA/SoGA is not a guarantee and does not cover wear and tear or misuse, but there is a requirement for goods to be durable. How long they can be expected to last is not defined but if a vacuum cleaner has failed after a few years and has not been mistreated or heavily used then it would be reasonable to ask for a repair. If parts are not available, the retailer could offer a payment instead.

Remember that it's the retailer not the manufacturer that is legally liable.

Thanks for this. The Dyson was bought at a John Lewis. If I can find the time I should look into this. A 20-hour life expectancy simply doesn't seem right.

Edited by Jim Batty

I'm very impressed with the V6. We have a slightly older version on the boat, a DCnn, which is also very good. BUT: ash from the stove will block the filter very quickly, so you have to use it with moderation around the fire, and even half the dust in the rest of the boat is probably from the stove, and even finer.

So, I think the handheld Dysons are very good for the boat, but you must check the filter regularly if you have SF stove.

Incidently, Dyson have just brought a new one, the V8, which is claimed to have twice the battery run time as the V6. Bit pricey though! (Probably why they have been selling the V6 with a big discount.)

The Dyson instructions specifically exclude its use for cleaning up ash !!

So that's a vacuum cleaner that can't be used for cleaning ....... only Dyson could come up with that one.

Edited by Kwacker

The Dyson instructions specifically exclude its use for cleaning up ash !!

So that's a vacuum cleaner that can't be used for cleaning ....... only Dyson could come up with that one.

Whilst it is easy to come up with a 'witty' comment in order to rubbish a particular product I think you will find it is not only Dyson who do not advocate the use of their products to clean up ash. I have certainly seen it in the product manuals of a few vacuum cleaners including the AEG handheld I bought for the caravan.

There are a few reasons for it including the residual heat that may remain in the ash if it hasn't been allowed to cool correctly before being vacuumed up.

Some explanation of the issue here.

http://housewares.about.com/od/heatingwithwood/tp/Why-Not-To-Use-A-Regular-Vacuum-To-Clean-Ash.htm

Of course whether people adhere to this or are even aware of what their instructions say is a completely different issue.

A Henry would be really awkward to store and use on my boat. I use a Dyson V6 rechargeable for most things, including cold ash, and haven't had any problems in over a years worth of use. (which might only be 10 hours of actual on time)

On the rare occasions I want to hoover for longer, I get the 240V upright Dyson DC50 out... it has a slide up handle which reduces the height for easier storage.

I haven't cleaned the filters on either yet but, having read Mike's comments, perhaps that will be one of this weekends jobs.

We also have a Dyson V6 and an upright at home.

Whilst it is easy to come up with a 'witty' comment in order to rubbish a particular product I think you will find it is not only Dyson who do not advocate the use of their products to clean up ash. I have certainly seen it in the product manuals of a few vacuum cleaners including the AEG handheld I bought for the caravan.

There are a few reasons for it including the residual heat that may remain in the ash if it hasn't been allowed to cool correctly before being vacuumed up.

http://housewares.about.com/od/heatingwithwood/tp/Why-Not-To-Use-A-Regular-Vacuum-To-Clean-Ash.htm

Of course whether people adhere to this or are even aware of what their instructions say is a completely different issue.

From what I can see, the ash particles are too light to be spun out by the Dyson's vortex, so they end up in the filter, most decent bagged cleaners will handle cold ash no problem.

I've just checked the Bosch Athlet's manual and that only advises against it's use on a building site!

Believe me, it's easy to rubbish Dyson

• Greenie 1

This made me think of those black plastic rubbish bins that have 'NO HOT ASHES' molded into them. I've always wondered who on earth would put hot ashes into a plastic bin. But I guess it takes all types.

Imagine hoovering up hot ashes!

From what I can see, the ash particles are too light to be spun out by the Dyson's vortex, so they end up in the filter, most decent bagged cleaners will handle cold ash no problem.

I've just checked the Bosch Athlet's manual and that only advises against it's use on a building site!

Believe me, it's easy to rubbish Dyson

As I said they are not the only ones who advise against hoovering up ash for the reasons in the link,

It's easy to rubbish just about any product in the world. You only have to read just about any product review site, clearly some reviews are written by people who shouldn't be allowed to be out alone.

Edited by MJG

A Henry would be really awkward to store and use on my boat. I use a Dyson V6 rechargeable for most things, including cold ash, and haven't had any problems in over a years worth of use. (which might only be 10 hours of actual on time)

On the rare occasions I want to hoover for longer, I get the 240V upright Dyson DC50 out... it has a slide up handle which reduces the height for easier storage.

I haven't cleaned the filters on either yet but, having read Mike's comments, perhaps that will be one of this weekends jobs.

We also have a Dyson V6 and an upright at home.

We neglect to clean the filters in our Dyson Ball at home and they don't get done anywhere as often as they should. They are also the originals that were fitted when we bought it what must be seven or eight years ago now. You are supposed to change them occasionally I believe.

A sure sign we have left ours too long is that the motor overheats and it cuts out until it cools down.

If every couple of months you remember to wash and thoroughly dry them before putting them back in the machine it doesn't do this.

It's easy to rubbish just about any product in the world. You only have to read just about any product review site, clearly some reviews are written by people who shouldn't be allowed to be out alone.

.................. and some of the reviews are clearly submitted by promoters or competitors.

responsible (?) outfits like Amazon should have found a way of weeding out the 'spam' reviews.

one review I read said "absolutely brilliant, it was delivered the next day; we have taken it out of the box but haven't used it yet."

As I said they are not the only ones who advise against hoovering up ash for the reasons in the link,

I spent 5 years repairing Dyson's, stopped last year.

I spent 5 years repairing Dyson's, stopped last year.

You must be desperately rough with them to be busting them so much.

Any company making a genuinely bad product soon gets a reputation for it and their sales plummet to near zero.

All large companies have a rump of dissatisfied customers (far outweighed by an enormous volume of happy punters) for who nothing they do will ever be good enough. You do seem to fall into this category where Dysons are concerned.

.................. and some of the reviews are clearly submitted by promoters or competitors.

responsible (?) outfits like Amazon should have found a way of weeding out the 'spam' reviews.

one review I read said "absolutely brilliant, it was delivered the next day; we have taken it out of the box but haven't used it yet."

We have bought a fair bit of baby related and small child related stuff of late.

Some of the reviews on the likes of kiddicare and mothercare are priceless, the best ones are from people who have clearly not read the instructions or the specification before publicly slagging the product off.

Edited by MJG

I've been following the reviews on Trip Advisor about a restaurant recently opened by some folk I know. Every 4 star or 5 star review is by a reviewer who's done 20 or more reviews. Every poor review is from someone who has done only 1 or 2 reviews...

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

No one has mentioned G-Rech AirRam. We have the K9 model (best for pet hairs) and the hand held. They are absolutely brilliant. We vacuum every day because if the bug brown hairy Labrador and only charge the K9 once a week. It's so easy to empty. The handheld runs about 40 minutes. It does fill quickly (a good thing?) but easy to empty. Much better and much longer running than Dysons in my opinion anyway. We have friends in houses who swear by these devices. Also, quick to charge on the boat.

No one has mentioned G-Rech AirRam. We have the K9 model (best for pet hairs) and the hand held. They are absolutely brilliant. We vacuum every day because if the bug brown hairy Labrador and only charge the K9 once a week. It's so easy to empty. The handheld runs about 40 minutes. It does fill quickly (a good thing?) but easy to empty. Much better and much longer running than Dysons in my opinion anyway. We have friends in houses who swear by these devices. Also, quick to charge on the boat.

Not heard of this one so thanks for the suggestion.

Is it any better than a Dyson at coping with stove ash?