Preston Brook Tunnel Rings

system 4-50

Featured Posts

I arrive at Preston Brook tunnel, northbound.

Damn.

Missed the slot. 40 minute wait in heavy continuous rain.

Look for rings to moor up by the tunnel entrance.

Find just 1 (apart from 1 almost on the mouth).

Tie up, pleased that I am first.

Second boat arrives.

Not happy with standing in pouring rain for half an hour so ties up across the road to a fence post.

Van comes past. He has to untie & retie to let the van past - and so do I! The ring I am using is well into the road!

Still raining.

Second van comes along.

Repeat performance.

It can't have been like this for 200-odd years. What am I missing here?

If I recall, which I may not, the rings are quite a long way back from the entrance, but I'm sure I've been able to tie up ok.

We tied up fine as per this pic. but that was three years ago now, Sounds like the rings have been removed. They used to be right on the edge.

UkHuVrrh.jpg

You can (just) see one at the bottom of this picture.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2588699

Edited by MJG

I do like the traffic light system at Reading turn up press the button and if ok lights turn green . Pity too expensive to roll out into other bottle necks.

I take it you were coming off the Bridgwater, if so as someone else said you were to close to the tunnel, you need to be back near where the free books are.

The OP said he was travelling Northbound which to me means he was at the Southern portal and still on the T&M. (as per our boat in the pic.)

ed. - however thinking about it though he must have meant travelling Southbound as there isn't room for traffic on the towpath at the Southern portal.

Edited by MJG

We tied up fine as per this pic. but that was three years ago now, Sounds like the rings have been removed. They used to be right on the edge.

UkHuVrrh.jpg

You can (just) see one at the bottom of this picture.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2588699

The property on the right has had a great deal of landscaping done now. It was part way through when we were there. Lots of clay, that they reckon was from the tunnel excavation.

The OP said he was travelling Northbound which to me means he was at the Southern portal and still on the T&M. (as per our boat in the pic.)

ed. - however thinking about it though he must have meant travelling Southbound as there isn't room for traffic on the towpath at the Southern portal.

Traffic does use the towpath at the south end. This is for access to the house alongside the stop lock.

Traffic does use the towpath at the south end. This is for access to the house alongside the stop lock.

Then he likely was at the South portal going North.

Perhaps the OP could clarify?

That was my thinking

The OP clearly says he's heading north so onto the Bridgewater, there are I think 6 rings which means 6 boats can moor using a centreline or 5 if you share the rings, most of the time everyone seems to take 2 rings each so only 3 boats can moor up.

You can drive down the towpath at the southern end (on the left in the picture), I know I've done it delivering blacking to the dry dock, what I didn't enjoy was reversing back up to the road.

Southbound (off the Bridgewater on to the T&M) there are 2 rings (buried in the grass) and one bollard as far as I've ever found, as said by the books sale box, however, the ground is soft enough to use pins unlike the south side where it's concrete hence the issue about rings.

K

Northbound. Waiting just after the stop lock.

Then there are/were rings, but it sounds like they are not there any longer for some reason.

At the southern end theres a distinct lack of rings. Only two i think to use for the tunnel, with one being outside of the cottage for use with the lock. I think this is a fairly recent problem as it appears the odd ring has pulled out.

On the Bridgewater side there's no rings but bollards and plenty of them too.

I arrive at Preston Brook tunnel, northbound.

Damn.

Missed the slot. 40 minute wait in heavy continuous rain.

Look for rings to moor up by the tunnel entrance.

Find just 1 (apart from 1 almost on the mouth).

Tie up, pleased that I am first.

Second boat arrives.

Not happy with standing in pouring rain for half an hour so ties up across the road to a fence post.

Van comes past. He has to untie & retie to let the van past - and so do I! The ring I am using is well into the road!

Still raining.

Second van comes along.

Repeat performance.

It can't have been like this for 200-odd years. What am I missing here?

I imagine horses would have been used in those day. They just step over the ropes.