One job leads to another.

Featured Posts

Why does one job mean that you have to do other things before you can do the original job? Water pump started to vibrate so moved things around in cupboard under sink, no luck still vibrating, so emptied said cupboard, took up floor in base of cupboard and found the pump leaking from body of pump so needed to turn off water at stopcock, which is under front steps, before I could take pump apart to repair, but first these needed emptying as they are used for storing extra tins of food and drink. Nothing is ever straight forward.

Now to tackle the not working immersion heater grrrrrrrrrr.

Why does one job mean that you have to do other things before you can do the original job? Water pump started to vibrate so moved things around in cupboard under sink, no luck still vibrating, so emptied said cupboard, took up floor in base of cupboard and found the pump leaking from body of pump so needed to turn off water at stopcock, which is under front steps, before I could take pump apart to repair, but first these needed emptying as they are used for storing extra tins of food and drink. Nothing is ever straight forward.

Just buy a new pump, it will save loads of frustration.

Then service/repair the old one and keep as a back up

Phil

Ensuring it will be in the way when you have to fix something at the back of the cupboard where it lives

Yes, been there

Richard

There are no seals on the pump body. The bolts seemed to have come slightly loose, so took it apart cleaned up the faces of the two parts, smeared a bit of Vaseline on them, put it back together, modified pipework to cut down on vibration, now seems OK, will check again in a week or so. No need for a new pump hopefully.

Fred

Then service/repair the old one and keep as a back up

Phil

I wont even bother trying again. I would just bin it. If you do TRY to fix it you need to connect it into a water system to test it, Take it out and rebuild it again, test it, re build it, test it BUNG IT AWAY, so you may as well do that first off.

A first class lesson in the reasons NOT to fit working equipment away in the back of cupboards.

PUT IT WHERE IT IS ACCESSIBLE!

I mention this about once a month on here, nobody pays any attention :(

• Greenie 1

Oh the joys of boating:boat:

And one of the reasons we got fed up and sold up.

A boat should be for boating not for fixing.

When it feels like you are doing more of the latter than the former it's time to sell.

I wont even bother trying again. I would just bin it. If you do TRY to fix it you need to connect it into a water system to test it, Take it out and rebuild it again, test it, re build it, test it BUNG IT AWAY, so you may as well do that first off.

Certain amount of logic there, though it rather depends on the degree of broken. I swopped my pump when I discovered the old one was weeping a bit, I had a almost new diaphragm which I fitted with a smear of sealant and it would do me if the working pump suddenly died (as they do) till I got a replacement.

Phil

I wouldn't disagree with this. Our pump seems to fail at about 3 1/2 years so having a spare pump, when it last failed I replaced it but decided to order a repair kit at a fraction of the price. However, over the time it took to arrive and me to get a bus to collect it and then get round to doing the overhaul, the water that had penetrated the motor had rusted the armature to the body.

So I've bought another spare pimp. Which should read pump!

Edited by pearley

One reason why a seemingly small job can cost so much if you call somebody out, I often turn up to a similar or worse scenario despite advising that if access is at least prepared and stuff moved out of the way it will be cheaper for the owner.

One reason why a seemingly small job can cost so much if you call somebody out, I often turn up to a similar or worse scenario despite advising that if access is at least prepared and stuff moved out of the way it will be cheaper for the owner.

Don't tell anyone - I turned up to work on an older boat yesterday and - the engine bay was dry, the floor was clear and was in small removable panels. And - all of the structure holding up the floor had been thoughtfully constructed by a carpenter to slot together with no screws. Five minutes and I had clear, perfect access. I nearly fainted

Richard

Don't tell anyone - I turned up to work on an older boat yesterday and - the engine bay was dry, the floor was clear and was in small removable panels. And - all of the structure holding up the floor had been thoughtfully constructed by a carpenter to slot together with no screws. Five minutes and I had clear, perfect access. I nearly fainted

Richard

I remember that happening to me once, then I woke up.laugh.png

The OP touched a raw nerve with me.

The gas struts on my ageing Audi Avant got to the point where they couldn't support the tailgate. Then on Monday something suddenly deteriorated and it appeared to me that neither strut was providing any support at all. I propped open the tailgate and removed one gas strut with a view to ordering a pair of replacements. Unknown to me, that strut was actually OK, and the tailgate slammed shut, knocking the prop away. The sheer impact shattered the glass, which is glued on.

Yesterday I spent 5 hours collecting a used tailgate from Shrewsbury, and removed the old one. Today I learned all about the problems of threading a wiring harness through totally inadequate holes in the tailgate frame.

Stupid, or what?

The OP touched a raw nerve with me.

The gas struts on my ageing Audi Avant got to the point where they couldn't support the tailgate. Then on Monday something suddenly deteriorated and it appeared to me that neither strut was providing any support at all. I propped open the tailgate and removed one gas strut with a view to ordering a pair of replacements. Unknown to me, that strut was actually OK, and the tailgate slammed shut, knocking the prop away. The sheer impact shattered the glass, which is glued on.

Yesterday I spent 5 hours collecting a used tailgate from Shrewsbury, and removed the old one. Today I learned all about the problems of threading a wiring harness through totally inadequate holes in the tailgate frame.

Stupid, or what?

happy.png

All part of life's rich pageant

Richard

Totally agree. Driving to site, parking, walking several hundred yards looking for the boat, saying 'hello', finding the appliance then clearing all the crap out of the way generally takes FAR longer than the easy bit, fixing it.

This is why I charge for time spent on the whole trip, not just time on site.

While removing the flue, I cracked the top plate on the stove. Which means either replacing the top plate on a 24 year stove or replacment with a new one. Would not had happen if I did not have to replace the 1/4" masterboard with a 1" version.