Licences, boat chaperone, alternator and diesel

hackenbush

Featured Posts

(What IS a dinlo anyway??!)

dinlo

The true definition of this word is slow or retarded, it is a Romany (gypsy language) word that has been adopted widely by the east coast.

"You are such a dinlo sometimes!"

From here

Edited by Theo

Do you have a plan for getting the boat from Cambridge to March in time for 1st June?

Starting at March sounds easier, as I believe the relatively tricky bit of the passage through the Fens might be the tidal river from Denver Sluice to Salter's Lode. So long as the boat works, the Nene isn't swollen by rainfall and I have one sensible fit adult crew member to assist me, I'd feel competent to do March to Uxbridge without Ian. It's a quirky sounding place the Fens, what with a special key needed for Ashline Lock, a tight bend at Whittlesey and needing to book Stanground Lock 48 hours in advance. I know there's a special key needed for the locks on the Nene too, having done a few of those. I'll do more reading about those waters, but I don't think they'll have anything else to worry me. If any forum member with local knowledge knows otherwise, please contribute to this topic!

If necessary, finding another crew member should not be too difficult; I've a feeling that if I ask around while I'm doing the BCN Challenge or in the pub at the end some experienced friend of a friend will pop up to do it.

Canalplan reckons 78 hours from March to Uxbridge, so if nothing much goes wrong and the crew are up for doing 11 hour days I think I can get you there in a week.

I'm not very clued up about maintenance jobs, but a few days for blacking sounds about right; please do get some sort of elapsed time estimate from the boatyard so that dates can be worked out with a contingency for the yard over running; maybe we're looking at moving something like 7-14 June. If I miss seeing the England match on the 11th it's not the end of the world.

If you are planning to go to Birmingham, you might of course want to make that decision by the time we reach Gayton Turn to save going down the GU to Uxbridge and back. You're the owner, it's up to you...

I'll PM you with my mobile number because as this plan unfolds there will be a few details to discuss.

I was contemplating attempting the trip to March myself but after reading your post I'm inclined to secure the assistance of a local boater as it sounds a little treacherous for a complete novice.

I will try and pin down the boatyard for dates today but the end of the first week of June sounds realistic.

Also, I'm sure it can be planned in such a way that you wouldn't have to miss a match, perhaps a strategically placed pub along the way?

I can't plan any major excursions out of the London area until July because of work so my first solo journey will be to navigate my way along the GU.

I must say I'm deeply appreciative knowing I could be in very capable hands as I take my first tentative steps, thank you

I was contemplating attempting the trip to March myself but after reading your post I'm inclined to secure the assistance of a local boater as it sounds a little treacherous for a complete novice.

Hello!

It's not too bad. From Cambridge to Denver Sluice is an absolute pussycat- the river gets wider and deeper, but there's no appreciable flow. On the last bit, seeing a cow breaks the monotony.

Denver sluice to Salter's Lode is a short tidal hop, and is harder, but I'd almost certainly be able to pilot you across for that bit.

The first bit of the Middle Level is slow and annoying, towards Nordelph, and then very interesting through Upwell and Outwell (the creek- and it is a creek- goes down the middle of the high street), then there's the picturesque Marmont Priory lock, then it's quite wide and deep until you get to March.

You can do Cambridge to March in a long day, if the tide is in the middle of the day, but it's more fun to do it over two.

A list of the repairs the surveyor has marked as urgent (1-4) and recommended (5-10). How easy are these to DIY and which ones should I definitely take to a boatyard?

1. Fit new alternator

2. connect the bilge the bilge pump to 12cDC system

3. replace cooling air duct for engine

4. replace flexible pipe in gas locker

5. plate over open aperture on port side between marks 4&5 above watermark

6. overplate old air intake vents on port and starboard sides

7. replace loose plastic skin fitting at mark 8.

8. replace rudder cup bearing

10. apply coat of bitumastic paint to hull and bottom plate

thanks

There is no anchor. Should I get one?

I can probably do items 2, 3, and 7 in the next couple of weeks- I do a bit of boat work for people.around here at a reasonable DIY standard so reasonable rates. I could have a go at fitting the alternator, but would be less confident of success.

how long does it take to apply new blacking which sounds like the most time-consuming of the jobs?

If you are having the job done properly in accordance with the blacking manufacturer's recommendations, you need to allow a at least a full week for cleaning off, applying 3 coats and allowing sufficient drying time between coats and a bit longer after the last coat before immersion in water. Also factor in time for any hull work which might be needed once you can see the boat out of the water.

There are some yards which offer to do this in much less time, but do you want to risk the durability of your hull protection?

If you are having the job done properly in accordance with the blacking manufacturer's recommendations, you need to allow a at least a full week for cleaning off, applying 3 coats and allowing sufficient drying time between coats and a bit longer after the last coat before immersion in water. Also factor in time for any hull work which might be needed once you can see the boat out of the water.

There are some yards which offer to do this in much less time, but do you want to risk the durability of your hull protection?

You (OP) should ask Fox's how long they're planning on leaving it out for; it's probably not the full week, unless you ask.

Hackenbush, if I were you I'd take up Fade to Scarlet's kind offers, both to see you through the tidal bit safely and to fix some of your boat's problems before you move it to March. As I'm no mechanic and we're aiming to cover some serious mileage in a week including the River Nene, it's important that the engine and other equipment is in good order before we begin, so having him aboard for at least part of your move to March is a good thing as he might spot some problem which would otherwise catch us out later, and he can explain basic maintenance such as tightening the stern gland while he's with you. The more you get to know your boat, the better.

If you have little or no previous boating experience it may be wise to get either him or someone else from the forum to come along for the first bit at Cambridge to teach you the basics of steering and lock operation (I assume the Cam has a few somewhere) before you go single handed. By the time I meet you at March you should be out of the complete beginner stage.

In fact reading your posts, are you able to get a week off to be with me for this move, or will we need to find Ian or someone else to come with me? I would feel nervous about doing the section on the Nene single handed, as mooring on a river without someone to assist can be tricky. From David Mack's comment, it sounds as if starting on the 7th may be a bit optimistic and we should look at more like the 9th or 10th to allow time for your blacking to dry properly; see what the boatyard say.

For some yards say most. I don't think I have ever been out for a week.

You (OP) should ask Fox's how long they're planning on leaving it out for; it's probably not the full week, unless you ask.

I think Fox's was probably the longest it was out of the water, but I had an extra coat put on, they also do the bottom that they can reach, ie. they dont move the boat to do the bits its resting on.

Hello!

It's not too bad. From Cambridge to Denver Sluice is an absolute pussycat- the river gets wider and deeper, but there's no appreciable flow. On the last bit, seeing a cow breaks the monotony.

Denver sluice to Salter's Lode is a short tidal hop, and is harder, but I'd almost certainly be able to pilot you across for that bit.

The first bit of the Middle Level is slow and annoying, towards Nordelph, and then very interesting through Upwell and Outwell (the creek- and it is a creek- goes down the middle of the high street), then there's the picturesque Marmont Priory lock, then it's quite wide and deep until you get to March.

You can do Cambridge to March in a long day, if the tide is in the middle of the day, but it's more fun to do it over two.

I can probably do items 2, 3, and 7 in the next couple of weeks- I do a bit of boat work for people.around here at a reasonable DIY standard so reasonable rates. I could have a go at fitting the alternator, but would be less confident of success.

You've definitely convinced me. Sounds idyllic. I've spoken to Fox's and they're recommending getting the boat to them end of next week or possibly the start of the following week so that they can do most of the repairs before blacking. The boat would then be ready to leave the water around 3rd/4th June.

In terms of your own timings for repairs and going to March does this suit in any way?

Just as an extra the surveyor recommended getting rails installed on the boat. How urgent would you say this was and how easy to do?

He also recommended getting an anchor...

Hackenbush, if I were you I'd take up Fade to Scarlet's kind offers, both to see you through the tidal bit safely and to fix some of your boat's problems before you move it to March. As I'm no mechanic and we're aiming to cover some serious mileage in a week including the River Nene, it's important that the engine and other equipment is in good order before we begin, so having him aboard for at least part of your move to March is a good thing as he might spot some problem which would otherwise catch us out later, and he can explain basic maintenance such as tightening the stern gland while he's with you. The more you get to know your boat, the better.

If you have little or no previous boating experience it may be wise to get either him or someone else from the forum to come along for the first bit at Cambridge to teach you the basics of steering and lock operation (I assume the Cam has a few somewhere) before you go single handed. By the time I meet you at March you should be out of the complete beginner stage.

In fact reading your posts, are you able to get a week off to be with me for this move, or will we need to find Ian or someone else to come with me? I would feel nervous about doing the section on the Nene single handed, as mooring on a river without someone to assist can be tricky. From David Mack's comment, it sounds as if starting on the 7th may be a bit optimistic and we should look at more like the 9th or 10th to allow time for your blacking to dry properly; see what the boatyard say.

According to boatyard the boat should be ready to collect by the 4th although they can keep it until we're ready.

I should be able to take 4 days off (6th-9th June) and then 2 or 3 more from the 12th.

Fox's say they would apply blacking in one day and it will be ready to go back in the water after 3

Hello!

Also, I'm trying to work out the order in which to do things. There are bits of work done which are necessary to pass the BSS which should probably done as soon as possible.

These are:

1. new wiring in fuse box of 12vDC system

2. replace flexible pipe in gas locker

Otherwise I won;t be able to get insurance and licence..?

After that how quickly can one get insurance and licence - I'm guessing (hoping) these two things are simple online procedures...?

Do the BSS things, then you can get insured and licensed

Do the blacking

Do the things your surveyor says MUST be done

Think about the things your surveyor suggests should be done and decide if you want to do them

It's a boat, there will always things to be done

Richard

Fox's say they would apply blacking in one day and it will be ready to go back in the water after 3

You're only getting one coat then.

We do 3 coats - sides and bottom. DIY, but there are several of us.

Lift out, pressure wash and start scraping on day one. Then 3 coats, with 24 hours between and 48 hours after the last one before refloating, and you can't do it in much less than a week.

According to boatyard the boat should be ready to collect by the 4th although they can keep it until we're ready.

I should be able to take 4 days off (6th-9th June) and then 2 or 3 more from the 12th.

It sounds as if the timetable will have to be a compromise between the days you can get off work (and I don't know to what extent you're in a position to choose those) and the days you want the move to happen due to boating factors, i.e. your blacking schedule and maybe crew availability.

I'm fairly flexible about dates but would prefer to do the trip all in one hit rather than travel back and forth, so if you wanted to do those dates I'd be OK with it but would suggest that we move 4 days, which should take us off the Nene, maybe somewhere past Stoke Bruerne, then you leave me to potter slowly along the GU single handed (or move more if I had crew), and come back to the boat on the 12th to finish the trip. Or I could just be lazy while you're away working and stay moored up on the towpath drinking tea and watching the ducks go by.

Hopefully then you are not paying for a 'proper job'.

When I had ours blacked (professionally) the schedule was :

Day 1 - Jet wash, rub/wire brush down to remove 'hard' bits, clean around 'hidden parts' weed hatch etc. Leave to dry

Day 2 - First coat leave to dry.

Day 3 - Touch up places missed in 1st coat, up around prop shaft, rudder and up inside the weed hatch Apply 2nd coat leave to dry

Day 4 - Touch up places missed in 2nd coat, up around prop shaft, rudder and up inside the weed hatch Apply 3nd coat leave to dry

Day 5 - Touch up places missed in 3rd coat, up around prop shaft, rudder and up inside the weed hatch, leave to dry

Day 6 - Final dry

Day 7 - Re float

This was all done in 'warm weather', undercover in June.

Cannot remember exact cost but it was in the order of £10 per foot (all in - materials, labour, dry dock and VAT)

You've definitely convinced me. Sounds idyllic. I've spoken to Fox's and they're recommending getting the boat to them end of next week or possibly the start of the following week so that they can do most of the repairs before blacking. The boat would then be ready to leave the water around 3rd/4th June.

In terms of your own timings for repairs and going to March does this suit in any way?

Just as an extra the surveyor recommended getting rails installed on the boat. How urgent would you say this was and how easy to do?

He also recommended getting an anchor...

I've got some free time in the afternoons next week, so could get started on the bilge pump and ducts. (I normally charge £10 an hour for boat works)

Sunday 22nd onwards, I'm pretty free during the days, so could help with the trip to March then.

You're only getting one coat then.

We do 3 coats - sides and bottom. DIY, but there are several of us.

Lift out, pressure wash and start scraping on day one. Then 3 coats, with 24 hours between and 48 hours after the last one before refloating, and you can't do it in much less than a week.

So it's possible to hire out a slipway and do this type of work yourself? If so, I may consider it when I'm a little more experienced

Hopefully then you are not paying for a 'proper job'.

When I had ours blacked (professionally) the schedule was :

Day 1 - Jet wash, rub/wire brush down to remove 'hard' bits, clean around 'hidden parts' weed hatch etc. Leave to dry

Day 2 - First coat leave to dry.

Day 3 - Touch up places missed in 1st coat, up around prop shaft, rudder and up inside the weed hatch Apply 2nd coat leave to dry

Day 4 - Touch up places missed in 2nd coat, up around prop shaft, rudder and up inside the weed hatch Apply 3nd coat leave to dry

Day 5 - Touch up places missed in 3rd coat, up around prop shaft, rudder and up inside the weed hatch, leave to dry

Day 6 - Final dry

Day 7 - Re float

This was all done in 'warm weather', undercover in June.

Cannot remember exact cost but it was in the order of £10 per foot (all in - materials, labour, dry dock and VAT)

OK, no, definitely not getting this treatment. Is this usual though? The boatyard comes highly recommended so I'm not too worried but I'm paying about the same for a lot less

OK, no, definitely not getting this treatment. Is this usual though? The boatyard comes highly recommended so I'm not too worried but I'm paying about the same for a lot less

Another boat yard quoted me £1600 to do the same job (£450 at the one I used) and said they would get the boat out, do the job, and have it back in by 'teatime' (on the same day).

You need to shop around and get recommendations from people who have had work done by the 'yard'.

And - yes - I would say 6 or 7 days is the 'norm', any less than 3 coats and much less than 24 hours between coats and at least one full day for final 'curing' (unless you are very lucky with the weather) and you may as well have not bothered - save the time and just throw your money in the canal.

I've got some free time in the afternoons next week, so could get started on the bilge pump and ducts. (I normally charge £10 an hour for boat works)

Sunday 22nd onwards, I'm pretty free during the days, so could help with the trip to March then.

thank you.

Sunday 22nd would be great for the journey to March. I think you said it would take 2 days?

As for work on the boat the only problem might be that I'm not yet 100% in ownership so it feels I may be jumping the gun to start booking work on it just now. It should be a done deal on Tuesday but then it may be an issue regarding keys (I'm in London)...

Following my retirement and now that I'm back from my trip to Canada, I should be able to find time between existing commitments to come along and help; up to the end of August the dates in my diary are:

21 May: At home watching Palace in the FA Cup Final on TV; watching that in some pub is not good enough.

27 May to 1 Jun: Away boating (BCN Challenge)

11 Jun until England lose on penalties to the Germans: I hope to be in front of a TV somewhere to see England's games in Euro 2016

16-23 Jul: Away boating.

29 Jul to 13 Aug: Away boating.

Having studied your itinerary Peter it does seem that the best possible week for you is the one of the 5th June. I have secured a week off from work from Sunday 5th to Saturday 11th which, I believe, means we may be able to complete the whole journey from March to Uxbridge and have you back in time for the England v Russia match

Hello!

I'm working out a schedule by working backwards from leaving the boatyard on the 5th June. I may need to get the boat there this week in order for this to work as the blacking is likely to be the last job they do on it before then. If I can get it there for next Tuesday though and then it would be great to hire your services for the bilge pump, cooling duct and plastic skin before setting off (do you think there would be time to do this before then?)