Orbital sanders

swift1894

Featured Posts

For sanding down paintwork are the round disc types superior to the rectangular pad types?

yep i have used all types and a DA sander with good quality pads are the best way to go, I have a cheap Skil 115mm DA sander and is great.

EDIT, that is if you are on about sanding down a sewer tube shell, not finer areas.

Edited by W+T

I've googled random and dual action sanders and they look the same.

What's the difference?

There isn't any, I was simply giving the two common titles to the same product. Often they are used together in describing a single product - guess it sounds better wink.png

I think with DA's the random bit doesn't rely on the rotation as its forced.

Yes but I wanted to know if they were better than the rectangular sanders which don't spin round like the discs.

The rectangular sander have a tiny radius of rotation so, I imagine, leave a finer finish.

Do the DAs leave a finish good enough to apply a top coat or would a primer/base coat be required?

Edited by swift1894

Yes but I wanted to know if they were better than the rectangular sanders which don't spin round like the discs.

The rectangular sander have a tiny radius of rotation so, I imagine, leave a finer finish.

Do the DAs leave a finish good enough to apply a top coat or would a primer/base coat be required?

Da's are used in car body shops so I imagine so. I've got a small air powered one which leaves a perfectly acceptable finish. Also depends on grit grade.

Its not advisable to apply a top coat directly over old paint without a primer/undercoat.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

DA or random orbit sanders are widely used in the boat painting business, of which I'm part. The discs are bought as a separate disposable item, usually in boxes of 100. Coarser grits, say 80 , 120 are used for paint removal, mediums such as 240 and 320 give a finer finish, whilst 400 to 600 or higher can be used prior to final coats. Undercoats provide an appropriate block of colour for topcoats. Depending on the colour, some glosses need several coats to achieve opacity. Midnight blue, popular with boaters, is a prime example.

With a fine enough disc you needn't worry about marks from DA sanders, vastly superior to the rectangular job bites.

I'm happy to speak if it helps. If so, PM me for numbers.

Dave

Why is that?

Apart from Daves comment that undercoats provide an appropriate block of colour for the topcoat, Repaints invariably require repairs to scatches and rust spots which are likely to 'grin through' a top coat if it is applied directly without an undercoat.

The whole idea of an undercoat is to smooth the surface of irregularities.

Seeing as we are doing a show me yours I'll show you mine.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb382sdr-random-orbit-sander-230-240v/96759

2 years guarantee. Mines done loads of work, boats, plaster on house walls, flatting off 8x4 melamine coated boards at work.

Ace cheap quality bit of kit. Not often those three words go together smile.png

bloody nora kida,£90 aint cheap lol, well to me. good it of kit though. getting a cheap skate in me owd age :)

bloody nora kida,£90 aint cheap lol, well to me. good it of kit though. getting a cheap skate in me owd age :)

I buggered up an orbital champion sander £30 and a 1/3 sheet silverline sander £15 I wished I'd got one of these to begin with :(

I've never begrudged the money spent on quality tools. My professional Bosch DA cost £150ish 10 years or so ago but has been a pleasure to use compared the a cheaper, earlier model. One customer doing his own repaint bought an economy one from Michael Mouse Ltd, got half way through when it died. It could be me, but decent tools are usually a pleasure to use, cheapos less so.

Dave

John Ruskin:-

It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better