How to heat my boat

Annie 42

Featured Posts

What is it with this comment coming up again and again.

There are petrol stations all over the place,

A similar comment comes up with the sea boat fraternity. but I have never had a serious problem in 16 years of boating.

I can see a problem if you need to buy in quantity. Lot easier to pull up and say fill me up please.

What is it with this comment coming up again and again.

There are petrol stations all over the place,

A similar comment comes up with the sea boat fraternity. but I have never had a serious problem in 16 years of boating.

You would be hard pressed to find petrol on the Broads nor in the Fens to name just two dry areas.

Phil

Thanks for that phil...I'm on a list for a mooring I'm at the top I've been offered two but are so close to the Thames...too far for me....so I'm looking at pyrford marina untilvi get a mooring ....but they've told me it won't be long....

Thanks for that phil...I'm on a list for a mooring I'm at the top I've been offered two but are so close to the Thames...too far for me....so I'm looking at pyrford marina untilvi get a mooring ....but they've told me it won't be long....

Sounds like all your ducks are getting in line for you, good luck with it all

first time about 15 years ago, second one 4 years ago

Where did you get petrol, just curious because we moored on the Broads for 10 years, left about 6 years ago and can remember the last petrol available at a yard stopping. It was on the Broads that I worked as a marine valet visiting many yards and boat sale outlets so I did get about a fair bit.

Phil

I've been told the wey is very pretty. So I did think about starting up north but then had a change of heart and start down south then work my way up ...I'm just trying to sort out my diary for working with my clients...then can slowly sort out my boat then also use it for a floating office..

Edited by Annie 42

I've been told the wey is very pretty. So I did think about starting up north but then had a change of heart and start down south then work my way up ...I'm just trying to sort out my diary for working with my clients...then can slowly sort out my boat then also use it for a floating office..

The Wey is very pretty but as others have said you can only get a time limited visitors pass so its fine for part of a summer cruise but not for longer term visits. Remember that you will need an EA Thames license to get to the Wey.

Nowadays the Thames is far more unfriendly to boaters than it was few years ago. No mooring and time limits signs backed up by threats of large fines seem to be springing up everywhere. Although many to seem to CC on the Thames it must be getting harder and harder. I consider the Thames "my river" and use to know all the free non-time limited mooring spots. Most of those have now gone so its pay every night or seem to be filled with CCers. I was more than happy to get back to CaRT waters last summer. I doubt that you could do much boat sorting while on the Thames unless you strike lucky with a mooring, you would be moving too frequently.

I am sure we all wish you well in your venture but I fear it could turn into a nightmare.

• 2 weeks later...

So no CCers on the Wey...

How long can you moor up in one spot?

Istr the max duration continously visitors licence is 21 says. I wonder whether then in theory you could enter at Thames lock and sit there for 21 days? Then exit back on Thames and do same? Not that I want to!

We are on Wey presently and between outings we moor at Marina Pryford. Where you don't need a licence. So we purchase a licence each time we go out. Eg a weekly. Once we have seen the navigation etc we will go back to home mooting on GU.

I've since checked my licence and it states in general, you are only allowed 24 hours in one spot.

Also no residential and no leaving bote unattended overnight unless in an authorised mooring which I assume is a marina not a general towpath mooring.

Edited by mark99

I seem to recall that a boat may not be left unattended overnight without prior consent of the National Trust?

CT

CT correct. Unless in marina etc.

NT use the word site rather than place. The annual fee is actually very low compared to CaRT 299 quid for 70 footer however only 20 miles to cruise.

Edited by mark99

im going to use a portable gas heater that can be hooked up too a gas canister thats going to be hooked onto the rear of my boat.

Annie, is that a cry for help or a genuine intention? If it's an intention, I'm either not interpreting it properly or it sounds like a bad idea. I've got visions of hoses feeding portable appliances brought inside with, amongst others, accompanying carbon monoxide and knock-over hazards.

im going to use a portable gas heater that can be hooked up too a gas canister thats going to be hooked onto the rear of my boat.

I'm not sure its possible (legally) to adapt a portable gas heater to use a (basically fixed) gas supply. I believe there is a way to adapt a generator or barbeque to a fixed supply but these are outdoor appliances, I've never heard of a way to use a portable appliance indoors like this. Also (I think) that type of heater is flueless and produces large amounts of condensation (as combustion by products) when it produces heat. Several people have pointed out the safety and other issues, see posts 24 onwards and in particular 31, 40, 43, 58.

Did you look at the Mr Heater Buddy range Annie?

More to the point have you checked that it is acceptable to the Boat Safety Scheme, especially if its on a petrol powered boat. Also remember what you have been told about condensation and CO in relation to non-flued heating appliances.