Cowboy Hats

saltyseadog

Featured Posts

I'm a proper traditional boater, won't be seen dead without my bowler, red hanky tied round my neck, windlass and pewter tankard hanging casually from my thick leather belt.

John, you are forgetting the old suit waistcoat and the collarless striped shirt.

Please sound yur horn frequently so that I can make sure that I am looking the other way. :)

Nick

That *never* works.

The other week, heading from Bollington towards Marple, SWMBO suddenly shouts out "oh my god, don't look to the right".

Of course, the natural reaction in such circumstances it to discover just why one shouldn't look right.

She must have been 80 years old, stark naked, and bending over to load the washing machine.

Can I claim compensation for the mental distress?

• 2 years later...
I liked these hats when I first saw them but having seen so many numptys wearing them on the canals I'm glad common sense prevailed.

I'd now sooner get my bonce wet than ever be seen wearing one.

Happy to concede being a numpty - I have one bought purely for practical reasons :lol: during the heavy showers last week (seems an age ago now) on the L&L it kept the rain right off the old head and the brim stopped it going down the back of my neck - combined with my overtrouseres and kagool I was bone dry even in the heaviest downpours.

But I tend not to worry too much about what other people think about me anyway - life is too short.

MJG - AKA numpty.

PS Maverick I notice the guy in your avatar is wearing one.... :lol:

hi i am interested in the hats.... how much price this hat?

Mine was about £35 from a local walking equipment suppliers - you can however get them on eBay for between £20 to £25

The hat thing,well I am not a natural hat wearer.Baseball hat total failure,I really dont like them all though I have tried.The assortment of berets I was given ,worn till I managed to lose them all.Best for me,wooly hats in winter if its cold enough and assorted floppy "fishing "hats in fabric {charity shop bargains} if its sunny.Friends have bought the "aussie" style hats and find them just fine and dandy for boating.

:lol:

Recently went out on a 5 day cruise from Napton to Foxton & I noticed that many people on narrow boats now appear to wear cowboy type hats.

Is this the new craze?

What ever happened to the blue blazer, captains steaming bonnet & the pipe.

I wont change, I still wear my eye patch & wooden leg.

I bought my 'drovers' type hat in NZ and have worn it for years on the boat to keep the sun off. I look like a d*ck in any kind of hat, but slightly less of a d*ck in this one. If it's really wet I discard it in favour of a waxed floppy hat and hood of my wet-suit up(a lightweight golf one from Makro!)

Recently went out on a 5 day cruise from Napton to Foxton & I noticed that many people on narrow boats now appear to wear cowboy type hats.

Is this the new craze?

Has anyone seen the rather portly geezer who wears a broad-brimmed red cardinal's type hat when at the tiller, with a longish loose-fitting red smock to complete the ensemble?

here,here

Clearly we should all be wearing the 'Bowlers' as are the two 'numpty's in the picture in your signature. :lol:

Sorry one of those isn't you is it??

Edited by MJG

In our collection of hats - mostly brought from the hat factory at Atherstone we have a cowboy hat each. Atherstone used to sell off surplus to order hats and these were surplus to an order from the US west for cowboy hats for dude ranches.

The hats we chose are, of course, black. The wife wears hers most of the time when lock working.

They look very fetching with shades.

I recommend a decent quality walking jacket, but with a baseball cap under the hood so the peak stops it from dropping over your eyes!

Incidentally isn't a walking jacket just an anorak with a few more pockets and a hefty price tag? Berghaus and the like are brilliant but I can only afford that kind of stuff at heavily discounted prices.

P.S. Despite the disparaging comments bowlers are actually very practical in the rain because they have a built-in gutter! Not enough cover at the front to stop my glasses getting wet if it's windy, though.

Stepney_crew_Sheffield_Park_010707_.jpg

Edited by sociable_hermit

We noticed this too - seems a bit of a craze.

Here is a tip for those that do....... only about 15% of people whom wear such hats actually "carry it off" and have the sorts of facial features it suits.

The other 85% look like members of the fashion victim club.

Mark

Is this the new craze?

We noticed this too - seems a bit of a craze.

Here is a tip for those that do....... only about 15% of people whom wear such hats actually "carry it off" and have the sorts of facial features it suits.

The other 85% look like members of the fashion victim club.

Mark

As I've already said I don't give stuff what people think - people worry too much.

Mine is eminently practical in the rain and additionally the chin strap keeps it on yer bonce when it's windy.

So if I'm in the 15% or the 85% I don't think I really care.

As we're talking cowboy hats I'd have thought it was less the facial features that are required to pull it off, more of a certain bow-legged stance, rolling gait, and a predeliction for saying "yeehaa" at regular intervals.

Yeehaa.

As we're talking cowboy hats I'd have thought it was less the facial features that are required to pull it off, more of a certain bow-legged stance, rolling gait, and a predeliction for saying "yeehaa" at regular intervals.

Yeehaa.

We always find carrying a fast draw holster and six gun helps. Cheers 'the Doc'

After cruising the Oxford for two weeks this summer in (what seemed like) continual rain, first thing I bought on returning home was a practical waterproof coat and a hat (with a big enough brim to keep the rain outa my face and stop it running down the back of my neck). Now I'm so paranoid I don't think I'll wear 'em!

..am I a fashion victim?...or a numpty?...or worse? (worry, worry, quiver, quiver)

I loved canal boating cos it seemed so laid-back and friendly, but underneath you lot are totally viscious. How long does it take and what sort of boat/clothing do you have to own before you can join the gang?

Hats off (har har) to MJG for a sense of reason.

Edited by swissarmywife