Off The Cut - CRT and evictions

Felshampo

Featured Posts

The issue of whats legally required is one thing and the CRT recommendation another,the real concern

is where this is all leading,this fear of ethnic cleansing of boaters without a home mooring.

The fear of the moving goalpost.

This sort of irrelevant hyperbole just distracts from the real issues being discussed. It's nothing to do with ethnicity.

Chris Pink is in it!

Really, when? None of them looked like what I imagined Chris to look like. :)

Pity Bev with the pedal boat couldn't get an outboard to move the boat a bit, maybe in the school holidays or bank holiday weekends.

OK it's petrol powered, but so is a van!

Wonder if some timely communication with CRT would have negotiated a reasonable requirement for CCing, hard to say without knowing the full facts.

The mother on the film seemed able to leave her boat very easily at the end for a van! Very strange. Also odd that the couple who went to explore the canals were disappointed because they found no itinerant communities, nothing about the beauty of the scenery, freedom, nature or the joy of living on a boat. It seems these people were more interested in their "homes" (never boats?) than living on the canals.

Tend to agree. Lots of stuff about rights without true responsibility. It's a transport system not a housing estate. Also unverifiable speculation bordering on scare tactics.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 2

Really, when? None of them looked like what I imagined Chris to look like. :).

Chris looked exactly as I expected, but then he previously had a photo of himself on his web site so it wasn't actually hard to confirm it was him.

Can you I'd the time CP appears. I must have missed it. Kept ff through the violins.

Well I could watch it and do that, just the same as you could.

It was captioned. 'Chris' (surprisingly)

Ray's done it

Well I could watch it and do that, just the same as you could.

It was captioned. 'Chris' (surprisingly)

Ray's done it

It's called mutuality. Something lacking in your post. Edited by mark99

Unsurprisingly he is the one captioned "Chris" (!)

I seee now, name was only up a sec or two :)

Brain doesn't work so well late evenings these days....

I though't he'd look a bit like Gibbo :D

Tend to agree. Lots of stuff about rights without true responsibility. It's a transport system not a housing estate. Also unverifiable speculation bordering on scare tactics.

Transport system for what, hobby boaters? Subsidised by the taxpayer? :)

• Greenie 1

Transport system for what, hobby boaters? Subsidised by the taxpayer? smile.png

I don't think the government sees it as a transport system I think they see it as a leisure facility hence their emphasis on CRT being "all things to all men".

I also think they see the subsidy as being money spent towards the nation's fitness by encouraging people to walk/cycle /get out in the fresh air fishing or boating.

I seee now, name was only up a sec or two smile.png

I though't he'd look a bit like Gibbo

I've no idea what Gibbo looks like, but I'd not expect him to look like CP!

I seee now, name was only up a sec or two :)

I though't he'd look a bit like Gibbo :D

Transport system for what, hobby boaters? Subsidised by the taxpayer? :)

Essentially yes. I think. When a canal is restored it's opened for boat movement / transport. What one is doing or motivated by whilst moving may have changed.

It's not opened up to be used by individuals to create a static area of defendable space with conferred rights.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 4

How much of the maintainance cost is actually specific to keeping it navigable ? And how much is to keep it acessable to non boaters ?

If the canals are not going to be abandoned then they must be maintained in some viable state anyway, walkers need towpaths and hedges cut back, bridges need to be in a safe condition ect ect.

I would have thought that being 'boaters ' we are a community. Generally I would like to think we would help one another , whether a tow is needed, a litre of oil , a lift to a bus/train station , a hand tieing up on a windy day, loan of a cat basket for a vet visit and once a pound of sausages . She needs to get about a bit , mind you that was her problem I suppose. See the countryside , .wildlife and history of the waterways .

We were told , a while ago now that the 'community' started many years ago. There are some very old pretty cottages on your left as you cruise into Bathampton towards Bath, they were inhabited by 'squatters' back in the 70/80s. When they were eventually evicted they took to boats in that area and of course the K and A was not connected or renovated. I don't know if this is the correct history . but this was what we were told .Bunny

It's not opened up to be used by individuals to create a static area of defendable space with conferred rights.

I don't think the boaters in the video were asking for that, just some clarity from CRT.

I would have thought that being 'boaters ' we are a community. Generally I would like to think we would help one another , whether a tow is needed, a litre of oil , a lift to a bus/train station , a hand tieing up on a windy day, loan of a cat basket for a vet visit and once a pound of sausages . She needs to get about a bit , mind you that was her problem I suppose. See the countryside , .wildlife and history of the waterways .

We were told , a while ago now that the 'community' started many years ago. There are some very old pretty cottages on your left as you cruise into Bathampton towards Bath, they were inhabited by 'squatters' back in the 70/80s. When they were eventually evicted they took to boats in that area and of course the K and A was not connected or renovated. I don't know if this is the correct history . but this was what we were told .Bunny

Seems that most liveaboards are community minded as wrigglefingers pointed out, but in others the spirit is sadly lacking! :(

I don't mean to open a can of worms here and I hope I don't, but why, where there are established de facto long-term moorings, can't CRT actually make some official and get some money for them? Especially in high-cost areas like Bath and its surroundings.

Edited by Witchword

I don't mean to open a can of worms here and I hope I don't, but why, where there are established de facto long-term moorings, can't CRT actually make some official and get some money for them? Especially in high-cost areas like Bath and its surroundings.

Because if said boaters were willing to pay for PMs (even in a marina) they would already be doing so? I'm not saying that more PMs (to make more money for CRT) wouldn't be a good idea given the demand, but people who've been "CCing" for 10 years in the same location probably aren't interested...

I don't know. Maybe they just like that area and want to be there, where they are, and no PMs are available there? I mean, as a pp said above, it's a nice area to live in with decent schools, and IMO it's entirely possible that someone facing this situation might well snap up the opportunity if it were offered. I certainly would.