calling all wide beams 60 plus x 12

fergyguy

Featured Posts

hi guys I'm starting to get a clear picture through this forum that there are some who buy wide beams and are happy to live in marinas then those who like the nb of a size where they can cruise just about anywhere...we are looking to buy a wb and cc the systems both north and south and would really like to hook up with someone who is doing or done what we are looking to do...we don't want marina life but want to cruise moor up explore for say a week then cruise on again..once we have done the north areas we can navigate with such a large boat we will have her lifted and blacked and transported south..surely there are wb owners on here living that same dream??

I have a "widebeam" 50ftx12ft and have no issues in cruising. I would go for 57ft tho as the Calder and Hebble can't do 60ft.

Only real issue is mooring in Marinas as there is less choice and it's usually more expensive, but this isn't really relevant to you, but it maybe one day.

My boat is Dutch Barge style rather than Fat Narrowboat, the benefits I see here is that I have a nice gunnel to walk down with easier accessibility to get to the roof, which is really handy when on the move. The downside is that I don't have the nice outdoor area at the front and it feels less spacious inside for the given width.

Edited by Robbo

hi robby so 57 x 12 wide beam seems to be the size everyone is suggesting as it gives a much longer cruising range is that right? are you north or south and do you cc the system if so do you find bank moorings ok

robbo sorry system puts words in place of ones it does not recognise..damn technology

Only real issue is mooring in Marinas as there is less choice and it's usually more expensive, but this isn't really relevant to you, but it maybe one day.

Plus, there's the widely held anticipation that CRT will soon alter the licensing so that widebeam pay more.

Just a suggestion, why not hire a wide beam on the Leeds Liverpool or K&A for a week. This would give you some idea of the practicalities of moving such a craft, then, if you have not done so already, try a narrow boat.

Not trying to be funny, just practical. :)

hi robby so 57 x 12 wide beam seems to be the size everyone is suggesting as it gives a much longer cruising range is that right? are you north or south and do you cc the system if so do you find bank moorings ok

robbo sorry system puts words in place of ones it does not recognise..damn technology

I'm North, mainly around Leeds. One of the major canals up here is the Calder and Hebble, it's limit is 57'6" so that's why everyone suggests 57' as a nice max length.

I have permanent moorings, but spent last year doing part of L&L. Some times it's nice just not to cruise and stay put, but this is the same for whatever size boat you have.

With towpath moorings, I find this okay, sometimes a bank may not be suitable due to the width of the canal. My boat is double chined so if it's shallow near the towpath I can usually get closer to the bank than a Narrowboat.

Edited by Robbo

hi johnmck we have hire a nb and enjoyed it for a week but its corridor style living is not for us thats not to say its not for everyone else we want a wb because it offers us the space we are looking for and yes we do realise this space comes with some compromises but we are trying to find wb owners who are currently cc either north or south or have done both to guide us as we feel sure we are not the only ones wanting to live this style on the waterways avoiding living in a marina.

fergyguy, on 08 Apr 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

hi guys I'm starting to get a clear picture through this forum that there are some who buy wide beams and are happy to live in marinas then those who like the nb of a size where they can cruise just about anywhere...we are looking to buy a wb and cc the systems both north and south and would really like to hook up with someone who is doing or done what we are looking to do...we don't want marina life but want to cruise moor up explore for say a week then cruise on again..once we have done the north areas we can navigate with such a large boat we will have her lifted and blacked and transported south..surely there are wb owners on here living that same dream??

There is no practical connection for WBs from the North to the South.

Except for a convoluted sea passage.

Somebody may come along shortly with more details...

In my opinion, 12ft is too wide for continuous cruising (though I accept its a little easier in the north). I see plenty of 12fts in the south, but they are very limited with their cruising pattern (and seem to be scared of tunnels).

Once through Blissworth Tunnel heading north, some of the bridge holes are quite tricky, even for me at 10ft. (especially at blue lias where one has been plastered).

Edited by jenlyn

Hi old goat we are aware we would need to be lifted and transported thought that would be good time to get her re blacked ...we may go 10 or 11 feet this at the moment all depends on what we get in feed back from other wb owners on here.

In my opinion, 12ft is too wide for continuous cruising (though I accept its a little easier in the north). I see plenty of 12fts in the south, but they are very limited with their cruising pattern (and seem to be scared of tunnels).

Once through Blissworth Tunnel heading north, some of the bridge holes are quite tricky, even for me at 10ft. (especially at blue lias where one has been plastered).

Can't comment about down south widths, but one of the benefits of wider higher gunnels is that the cabin sides is less likely to hit the tunnel.

Edit to add one of the downsides of higher gunnels is sometimes it's a big step up to the boat, and the windows are higher so if sat at a table you don't really look out at the view.

Edited by Robbo

Can't comment about down south widths, but one of the benefits of wider higher gunnels is that the cabin sides is less likely to hit the tunnel.

Yeh, I've noticed such boats being delivered this way recently. The other factor is the width of the channel, which I often find is very narrow. Moving over to pass someone with 12ft is more often than not an art form in itself.

I had a 12ft follow me last year from Milton Keynes to Warwick. He was adamant he wouldn't do it again.

I did see that black monster boat at the top of Stockton flight, that surprised me.

A lot depends on the hull shape my 12ft beam barge was OK on the southern waters as it wasn't slab sided like some WB. K&A was a pain, GU Lea and Stort were fine. In the end when we went away we usually ended up on the Thames which is far more suitable for a 61'8" x12' boat.

In the end we found that we went boating less and less in the barge and using our cruiser/sailing boat more, so ended up selling the Barge and buying a NB.

Do I miss the size of the barge? NO

• Greenie 1

We hope to visit peterboatman next Wednesday who I believe cruises a 57x12 wb to get the heads up and pitfalls etc although it does appear from reading posts on here that's the size best able to allow us around more not all the waterways.

Edited by fergyguy

A lot depends on the hull shape my 12ft beam barge was OK on the southern waters as it wasn't slab sided like some WB. K&A was a pain, GU Lea and Stort were fine. In the end when we went away we usually ended up on the Thames which is far more suitable for a 61'8" x12' boat.

In the end we found that we went boating less and less in the barge and using our cruiser/sailing boat more, so ended up selling the Barge and buying a NB.

Do I miss the size of the barge? NO

Agreed.

My boat is 60ish x 10 which is very manageable. There are a lot of 12s about but they don't cruise much, a bit unwieldy I reckon. Whilst a lot of waterways can take a 12 footer, problems might occur if & when you meet another one coming the other way. I'd never go back to a narrow for living on.

We hope to visit peterboatman next Wednesday who I believe cruises a 57x10 wb to get the heads up and pitfalls etc although it does appear from reading posts on here that's the size best able to allow us around more not all the waterways.

Mine is 57 x 12 not 10 and yes I cruise will arrange with you to visit me next Wednesday any idea what time?

Hi peterboat not peterboatman lol yes Wednesday would be brilliant and help put our minds at rest...lunchtime is good for us..will just need to know where to find you. Kind regards martin

Hi spade foot you North or South? Do you cc the system or marina based?

Peterboat I have corrected my post ref you boat size lol

We may choose to do South first I'm assuming there's enough down there to keep us busy for a few years cruising? We aim to see and stop at as many places as possible allowing average of about seven days per mooring.

I've been down the entire length of the K&A on a friend's 12ft widebeam and never had a single problem (although he has a mooring and isn't permanently CCing).

As far as the hull being slab-sided like most fat narrowboats, or double-chined like Dutch barges, it's swings and roundabouts. It really depends on the profile of the canal bed at the sides as to whether you can get in or not. A widebeam can draw as little as 2ft and a few inches at its deepest point - so the same or even less than some narrowboats, whereas a double-chined barge will draw less at the sides but usually about 3ft in the middle. Both designs have their limitations.

Edited by Claude

My boat is 60ish x 10 which is very manageable. There are a lot of 12s about but they don't cruise much, a bit unwieldy I reckon.

I think any boat bigger then the one you've got will seem unwieldy until you're used to it. Your 60 x 10 boat probably seems unwieldy to most owners of 40ft narrowboats. Likewise a 40ft narrowboat seems unwieldy to the owner of a 26ft plastic cruiser and so on...

Anyway, my friend's 12ft beam boat is very manageable too.

Edited by Claude

While having a chine or not can effect the amount of places you can get into the bank. It's the underwater profile that makes the diffetence between it being a boat or a floating skip. I often see the hirers from a certain company up here, fighting with the widebeam that they have hired. Hitting bridges, boats etc with looks of fear on there faces. Not all wide beams are the same.

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

I think any boat bigger then the one you've got will seem unwieldy until you're used to it. Your 60 x 10 boat probably seems unwieldy to most owners of 40ft narrowboats. Likewise a 40ft narrowboat seems unwieldy to the owner of a 26ft plastic cruiser and so on...

Anyway, my friend's 12ft beam boat is very manageable too.

Quite right.

There are plenty that manage fine.

Bridgeholes cause a problem for some especially on a breezy day. I saw someone almost "legging" through a couple of bridges on the GU. Mind you, it could've been their first time out.