millilitres to grams conversion

Wanted

Featured Posts

At the risk of being ridiculed, made to stand in the corner and given extra homework, I would like to ask what could be a really daft question...

Is a millilitre of 2 stroke oil a gram?

I know this holds for water but I have a feeling that wouldn't be true of all liquids/semi liquids.

I need to know as the only measuring jug I have is in grams and I want to sort out the right mix for an engine. I need to achieve a 10:1 mix in 5 litres of petrol so am hoping it's like for like...

Make sense?

At the risk of being ridiculed, made to stand in the corner and given extra homework, I would like to ask what could be a really daft question...

I know this holds for water but I have a feeling that wouldn't be true of all liquids/semi liquids.

I need to know as the only measuring jug I have is in grams and I want to sort out the right mix for an engine. I need to achieve a 10:1 mix in 5 litres of petrol so am hoping it's like for like...

Make sense?

It's not daft at all. These foreign measures can cause confusion.

Last week, in Tesco's, I was inspecting bottles of hot sauce which looked identical, but one was marked "125 ml" and the other "125 g", so I assume that a millilitre and a gram are more or less synonymous. I think that the only difference is that ml are always liquid, or at least viscous, whereas g can be wet or dry.

Edited by Athy

1 millilitre of 2 stroke oil doesn't weigh 1 gram......BUT the jug is probably calibrated according to the density of water, not 2 stroke oil. In this instance, the "grams" indication on the jug (a jug cannot measure weight.......only volume..so grams is not the right unit here!!!) could be assumed to mean grams of water, so if you used it to measure out 2 stroke oil or any other liquid, those grams are equivalent to millilitres.

Make sense?

What Oil/ Fuel ratio are you looking to achieve? the usual amount is measured in milliliters or %atge There are covertion on oil company's web pages

Make sense?

I think it is only true for water.

Make sense?

at 10:1 thats 10 litres of petrol to 1 litre of 2T oil, or, 5 litres of petrol to 1/2 litre of 2T oil.

If you are buying your 2T oil in 1 litre bottles,just add half a bottle to your 5 litres of petrol.

Presumably at 10:1 you are talking about an old Seagull engine ? (The later ones were 25:1)

If so it won't mind if its 8:1 or 12:1 just get it somewhere near.

I was talking to the most senior REME armourer in the Army ( now just retired) who told me a story,a few years ago they were called in to 'clear out' stuff from the D-Day beaches, they came across several old Seagull engines on landing craft, a quick clean down, new oil, new fuel, new spark plug and they fired up immediately.

Theres not much you can do to damage a Seagull.

Good point, 10:1 is ridiculously high. Chainsaws I've used are typically 25:1, 33:1 or even 50:1

It is correct for a Seagull outboard, though it seems they can be used on a slightly less oil rich mix with modern oil. I use 10:1 in our Gull.

at 10:1 thats 10 litres of petrol to 1 litre of 2T oil, or, 5 litres of petrol to 1/2 litre of 2T oil.

If you are buying your 2T oil in 1 litre bottles,just add half a bottle to your 5 litres of petrol.

Presumably at 10:1 you are talking about an old Seagull engine ? (The later ones were 25:1)

If so it won't mind if its 8:1 or 12:1 just get it somewhere near.

I was talking to the most senior REME armourer in the Army ( now just retired) who told me a story,a few years ago they were called in to 'clear out' stuff from the D-Day beaches, they came across several old Seagull engines on landing craft, a quick clean down, new oil, new fuel, new spark plug and they fired up immediately.

Theres not much you can do to damage a Seagull.

Ours stood in the wet shed for 10+ years, and I recently fired it up again. Plug cleaned on gas ring (eventually renewed), float bowl cleaned, bit of 400 grit wet and dry to clean points and off she went. Changed the gear box oil for good measure. I love these old engines.

Edit: I confess to guessing the oil on a couple of occasions.

Edited by Guest

Mass = Volume x density

Mass is measured in grammes or Kilogrammes

Volume is measured in millilitres or litres

Density is measured in grammes per millilitre or kilogrammes per litre.

The density of water at 4 deg C is very close to 1 g/ml so for water the mass in g is near as dammit the same as the volume in ml.

The density of 2 stroke oil is somewhere around 0.8 g/ml so you get more ml than g.

If you want a really accurate measure of how much 2 stroke oil you're using then weight it on the electronic kitchen scales, look up the density on the internet and use the formula:

Volume = mass/density.

Real units anoraks know why a ml is different from a cc but I needn't go into that (They are the same for all practical purposes BTW.)

Nick

Mass = Volume x density

The density of water at 4 deg C is very close to 1 g/ml so for water the mass in g is near as dammit the same as the volume in ml.

The density of 2 stroke oil is somewhere around 0.8 g/ml so you get more ml than g.

If you want a really accurate measure of how much 2 stroke oil you're using then weight it on the electronic kitchen scales, look up the density on the internet and use the formula:

Volume = mass/density.

Real units anoraks know why a ml is different from a cc but I needn't go into that (They are the same for all practical purposes BTW.)

Nick

Ain't life difficult ?

Just add 1/2 litre of 2T oil into your 5 litre petrol can. Job Done !

Mass = Volume x density

Volume = mass/density.

Nick

Clear and concise, thank you, I now understand cheers

Ain't life difficult ?

Just add 1/2 litre of 2T oil into your 5 litre petrol can. Job Done !

Now I understand the Maffs, I'm gonna do this!

Cheers!

Basically if a Seagull is running, and you can see where you are going, there probably isn't enough oil in the mix.

The voice of experience :)

As others have said. Litre is a volume. You can measure it with a ruler. Gramme is a mass. You weight it.

The distinction matters only for reasons of technical accuracy.

Personally, I would not worry because 10:1 is an arbitrary ratio anyway. It does not really make any difference in practice. Any combination of 10:1 mixture by volume/weight in your case will be good enough - as long as you don't get your kilo's and milli's mixed up.