Going up the Thames Tomorrow

Terryb

Featured Posts

Probably, but I expect he was irritated by the narrow boat going up in the lock , making his way to Lechlade having come up from Teddington on mainly reds ( I spoke to him at Iffley lock) . Just had a hail shower here, gone quite cold now . We can sit it out for another 2 weeks if we need to , just wanted some constructive advice . Usually get good advice from the lockie . In the past have been asked about our weight , engine type and experience before their opinion has been offered . Didn't recognise this chap , think the usual lockie has retired . He was the guy who was hailed a hero by the locals in the 2007 floods , because of the way he managed to save most of Osney from flooding . Bunny

I was amazed how many were ignoring the reds on the Kennet last week. Boats getting sideways across the river because they've tried to moor bow first with a following stream. Boats getting slapped into walls down through Newbury. Someone got stuck on that big weir below Tyle Mill apparently. I wish I'd taken the train down to Woolhampton to watch the fun there.

I blame the early Easter.

Good luck, hope it clears soon.

Bunny, on 09 Apr 2016 - 7:05 PM, said:

Probably, but I expect he was irritated by the narrow boat going up in the lock , making his way to Lechlade having come up from Teddington on mainly reds ( I spoke to him at Iffley lock) . Just had a hail shower here, gone quite cold now . We can sit it out for another 2 weeks if we need to , just wanted some constructive advice . Usually get good advice from the lockie . In the past have been asked about our weight , engine type and experience before their opinion has been offered . Didn't recognise this chap , think the usual lockie has retired . He was the guy who was hailed a hero by the locals in the 2007 floods , because of the way he managed to save most of Osney from flooding . Bunny

I read your previous post with dismay - but the above makes more sense.

The resident lockie has said he's retiring many times and I can't remember what he said last time we met. I thought he was sticking it out for another year.

It'll be a sad loss when he does go because he's one of the nicest around.

So, I guess he's a section relief and is run ragged as many of the locks are double and triple manned - that means one lockie has to work three locks.

I'm sad that he gave you a bad time. EA's going through a bad period, shortage of staff, shortage of money, uncertainty and a lot more.

The river conditions site gives some information:-

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

It hasn't been updated today which is a bad omen as it shows that the system is only just coping with events. If there's any change they update it more regularly.

Another site is Maidenhead Rowing Club who keep a history, so you can see any changes:-

http://thamesboating.info/levels.php

It takes a few moments to load.

Godstow to Osney is one of the few still on Reds - not surprising as the stretch from Bossoms boat yard to Osney lock is not much wider that the GU.

Methinks you'll have to wait a few more days...

I was amazed how many were ignoring the reds on the Kennet last week. Boats getting sideways across the river because they've tried to moor bow first with a following stream. Boats getting slapped into walls down through Newbury. Someone got stuck on that big weir below Tyle Mill apparently. I wish I'd taken the train down to Woolhampton to watch the fun there.

I blame the early Easter.

Good luck, hope it clears soon.

I've just been to Woolhampton this evening for a look, and was staggered to see only yellows on what I'd consider a seriously dangerous current for boats travelling downstream.

I arrived just a a hire boat was clearing the lock going upstream. The couple steering it looked pretty rattled. I've an idea they had a bad time getting into the lock across the stream.

Mike the Boilerman, on 09 Apr 2016 - 8:14 PM, said:

I've just been to Woolhampton this evening for a look, and was staggered to see only yellows on what I'd consider a seriously dangerous current for boats travelling downstream.

I arrived just a a hire boat was clearing the lock going upstream. The couple steering it looked pretty rattled. I've an idea they had a bad time getting into the lock across the stream.

Good to have corroboration of what I've thought for some time - trying to persuade EA otherwise may be a hard slog though!

Mike the Boilerman, on 10 Apr 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

What does it have to do with the EA?

I may be wrong but to me Yellows and Reds are an EA (perhaps "Thames region") thing.

Part of the T&K canal has a river running through it, or the other way around and that may be where EA comes in?

I must admit that I didn't know that there were yellow boards displayed on the K&A .

I know that the Kennet and Avon canal trust was looking into starting the system a while ago but the K&A is under C&rt control and nothing to do with EA ( apart from 1st part just past Blakes lock ( The boards displayed there showing upstream are only valid for that part of K&A )

Paul

Is it true that Thames Lockies' jobs are at risk of being abolished?

Personally I don't mind if they are, because I find that I'd rather use the locks myself 'out of hours', rather than suffer their abuse of narrowboats, and mooring rope nonsense, not to mention their precious 'I own this lock and you do what I say' stuff. Oh, and ENGINE running nonsense!*

I have my tin hat on ready for abuse, but it won't change my attitude after 2 seasons on the Thames and trying to avoid them and doing it myself.

On the other hand, I would not like to see them unemployed. Are they going to be kept on, as sluice, levels and river management officers?

* I'm not criticising the 'engine off' thing when there's about eight or ten boats in the lock. I'm criticising the 'jobsworths' that don't let you keep it going when there's only 2 or 3, in a massive lock, exposed to the atmosphere.

So there, Thames Lockies. Reading the riot act is fine by me, but next year I'm not going to turn it off. And I'll be the first one in.

Personally I don't mind if they are, because I find that I'd rather use the locks myself 'out of hours', rather than suffer their abuse of narrowboats, and mooring rope nonsense, not to mention their precious 'I own this lock and you do what I say' stuff. Oh, and ENGINE running nonsense!*

I have my tin hat on ready for abuse, but it won't change my attitude after 2 seasons on the Thames and trying to avoid them and doing it myself.

On the other hand, I would not like to see them unemployed. Are they going to be kept on, as sluice, levels and river management officers?

* I'm not criticising the 'engine off' thing when there's about eight or ten boats in the lock. I'm criticising the 'jobsworths' that don't let you keep it going when there's only 2 or 3, in a massive lock, exposed to the atmosphere.

So there, Thames Lockies. Reading the riot act is fine by me, but next year I'm not going to turn it off. And I'll be the first one in.

The stopping of Engines in locks is to reduce noise to allow the Lock Keepers instruction to be heard.

Several Petrol Inboard powered boats have had conflagration problems when restarting their Engines prior to exiting a lock,the hot fuel vapour and Starter motor generated sparks had serious pyrotechnic potential.

CT

E.T.A. by all means do refuse to turn your Engine off Loofah,what the world needs now is a futile gesture,Right on Brother!

Edited by cereal tiller

I have no comments on the way that you wish to operate but I think that the main decider on lockies futures will be the possibility of C&rt taking over the Thames...... http://nabo.org.uk/index.php/reference/other/756-crt-takeover-of-ea-navigations-back-on-the-agenda

I wonder if they will have to enforce the same byelaws that annoy you.

Paul

Using Thames locks after hours by yourself is easy.

But what happens when there are no more lockies and 8 - 10 boats in the lock? Who presses the buttons? Who is responsible? The gin-palace captain or the little bloke in the narrowboat? Obviously not the young family in the grp dayboat (situated dangerously close behind that massive Luxmotor because there was no-one in charge to load the lock properly).

No-one holding with ropes, oops, there goes the dayboat. Don't worry though, you won't hear any screaming because everyone's left their engine running.

I think I'd rather they keep the lockies.

• Greenie 1

We did witness an incident where a narrowboat owner, maybe rather excited about working a Thames lock, just pushed the buttons without even looking at what was going on in the lock. He had the gates opening whilst walkers were still crossing over them.

One or two lock keepers can be a bit impatient and rude and start filling the lock before all the boats are roped up, but in general they are/were very good. The engine off rule can be a bit tedious at times but then the Thames is a magical and special place and a bit of tradition is rather nice.,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Dave

We are now up on the Oxford . Went through Osney yesterday morning on the red . Husband drove up to the lock , had a chat with lockie , similar attitude and instructions that I had . While he was standing on the bridge over ' the sheep wash' he got into a conversation with the owner of a small narrow boat who had come up to also have a look . His boat was in the lock coming up . His concern was he only has a 18 Ho

Using Thames locks after hours by yourself is easy.

But what happens when there are no more lockies and 8 - 10 boats in the lock? Who presses the buttons? Who is responsible? The gin-palace captain or the little bloke in the narrowboat? Obviously not the young family in the grp dayboat (situated dangerously close behind that massive Luxmotor because there was no-one in charge to load the lock properly).

No-one holding with ropes, oops, there goes the dayboat. Don't worry though, you won't hear any screaming because everyone's left their engine running.

I think I'd rather they keep the lockies.

Well the Gin Palaces would stop using locks unless they had the butler with them and Narrowboaters would do all the work. just like out of hours now.

Well the Gin Palaces would stop using locks unless they had the butler with them and Narrowboaters would do all the work. just like out of hours now.

Yes,but. some of the Narrow boats may be Hudsons,who are already equipped with a Butler.?

Even if all the Boats in a Lock had their Engines switched off ,the fumes from the Brasso and Carnauba wax would likely become overpowering when there were a number of Butlers free to do some burnishing.

CT

We are now up on the Oxford . Went through Osney yesterday morning on the red . Husband drove up to the lock , had a chat with lockie , similar attitude and instructions that I had . Then walked up to the sheep wash . While he was standing on the bridge over ' the sheep wash' he got into a conversation with the owner of a 40 ft narrow boat who had come up to also have a look . His boat was in the lock coming up . His concern was he only has a 19 Hp lister . He asked could he wait for us . Anyway when we turned up he had gone through ok . So yep the flow was a bit lively , the turn into the sheep wash was at best ' interesting ' one of those moments best remembered and not repeated too often , but husband judged it beautifully. Never touched the bridge and hit reverse hard enough as to not hit the boat moored the other side of the bridge . Reasons for going against the red .... beta 43 reconditioned inc new drive plate 1000 hrs on the clock since then . Last week the engine was serviced Inc new belts , fuel and air filters and the fuel was polished . Oil and water checked the night before , all ok . Had already pushed 2200 revs going through Abingdon with no overheating. Also , although no one can 100% know what the Current was like , we have turned into the sheep wash under difficult conditions before. Boards either side of our red were on decreasing , so we guessed that the yellow to red margined was failing slightly . Life jackets, anchor, life ring ect rabbit in carry box , grab bag ect

So we took a calculated risk , but not lightly . Nice to be back on the Oxford . Bunny

Edited by Bunny

Yes,but. some of the Narrow boats may be Hudsons,who are already equipped with a Butler.?

Even if all the Boats in a Lock had their Engines switched off ,the fumes from the Brasso and Carnauba wax would likely become overpowering when there were a number of Butlers free to do some burnishing.

CT

I never knew you got a free butler with a Hudson boat! I was diddled (Mind you, Mrs Loafer is quite good!)

I've had to install a Brasso day tank, since my engine uses more of it than it does diesel.

Having just come off the K and A on a falling red board. I can honestly say the river Thames is very ' chunky' at the moment . Made Iffley in two days from Burghfield on about 1800 / 2200 revs to maintain steering and control , now waiting for Osney to fall to yellow, we could try and push through but husband now working till Tuesday so not really any point but wanted to make oxford and didn't want to get stuck further downstream. Would have spoken to more local lockie but very few about . Wanted to take advice about Osney from the Iffley lockie but the Sandford lockie said that Osney , Iffley and Godstow were under the care of only one lockie ( so we didn't see him . ) no lockie at Whitchurch ( lunchtime ) no lockie at Goring , Cleeve or Benson and one looking after Days , Clifton And Culham

so limited information . Bunny

Having just come off the K and A on a falling red board. I can honestly say the river Thames is very ' chunky' at the moment . Made Iffley in two days from Burghfield on about 1800 / 2200 revs to maintain steering and control , now waiting for Osney to fall to yellow, we could try and push through but husband now working till Tuesday so not really any point but wanted to make oxford and didn't want to get stuck further downstream. Would have spoken to more local lockie but very few about . Wanted to take advice about Osney from the Iffley lockie but the Sandford lockie said that Osney , Iffley and Godstow were under the care of only one lockie ( so we didn't see him . ) no lockie at Whitchurch ( lunchtime ) no lockie at Goring , Cleeve or Benson and one looking after Days , Clifton And Culham

Did you make Abingdon yet. I'm still here waiting it out for another day as I've been advised it's too strong nearing Olney. Looks like I'll be out of licence by the Time I get to Oxford. Call in for a cuppa at Abingdon bridge when u get here.

so limited information . Bunny

Just apologising for my previous mobile phone addition. I double quoted sorry.

I'm going up to attempt Sheepwash tomorrow now. Having left it too late to get there today. Any advice would be helpful.

My 21hp vintage Kelvin successfully pushed my 68ft NB through Osney Bridge on red boards a few years ago.

Took about 20 minutes!

(Edit to get the numbers right blush.png )

Edited by Mike the Boilerman