Dirty stinking filthy Boaters

BoatyMCboatface

Featured Posts

So you would leave the rope across the path then. Fair enough if that's your choice I would and have moved lines across path, it dangerous. But I respect your choice of not touching the rope.

Its not dangerous if you walk round it (plenty of space) or step over it.

Someone had made several attempts to drive the pin in at the front near to the concrete but failed to get it secure. There are before and after photos on The Friendly Narrowboat Forum.

It can be difficult along that stretch.

One word, Dark.

Sometimes such mooring is inevitable though, so we use flashiing LED'S atop a smoke alarm battery. Easily made for the price of a pint.

Edited by Guest

What is controversial about deploring piles of rubbish left on the bankside?

I must agree with other posters that the boat itself looks trim and tidy.

In my view the title of the post is a controversial one, especially from a new poster who one has little choice but to take at face value. I guess one reader's 'emotive' is another's 'controversial'.

Frank.

It can be difficult along that stretch.

One word, Dark.

Might I suggest the far greater danger of stepping into the canal exists - to which walkers can easily counteract this danger by using a torch. You'd have to be an idiot to go along a towpath in the dark without some way of seeing where you're going.

Paul please. In the dark. Children not paying attention in daylight. Perhaps most unlikely someone with bad sight.

On way back from pub.

Someone had made several attempts to drive the pin in at the front near to the concrete but failed to get it secure. There are before and after photos on The Friendly Narrowboat Forum.

Can you give link to friendly narrowboat forum.

• Greenie 1

In my view the title of the post is a controversial one

I entirely agree - and I did mention that. I suggest that the content of the opening [post is less controversial than its title. We have a moderator (Paul) taking part in this discussion; Paul, could you please modify the title to something less controversial, please?

I agree that its not brilliant, but given the fact that the bank nearer the waterline is too solid to drive a mooring pin into (and has been attempted), for another person to come along and have a go at mooring it better, only to fail, what are they to do? Bowhaul the boat along the canal a bit? How far? 10 yards? 100 yards? They're tried their best to make it conspicuous, for reasons unknown they chose to moor there and not an alternate location, etc etc.

I entirely agree - and I did mention that. I suggest that the content of the opening [post is less controversial than its title. We have a moderator (Paul) taking part in this discussion; Paul, could you please modify the title to something less controversial, please?

Its not up to me to alter the titles unless there's an obvious spelling/typing error or the OP justifiably wants it altered. Its not mine to alter, after all.

Might I suggest the far greater danger of stepping into the canal exists - to which walkers can easily counteract this danger by using a torch. You'd have to be an idiot to go along a towpath in the dark without some way of seeing where you're going.

No argument with that (though not keen on the "idiot" comment,) I never go anywhere without a torch whether boating, dog walking, walking, cycling, whatever along the canal or not.

I just don't see the point in leaving something that is potentially dangerous IF it can be rectified easily and without putting oneself in danger. (I accept that may not be the case along the stretch in question. We have struggled along there.)

Edited by Guest

Not needed unless against forum rules. Altering a title at this stage makes if impossible for people just stating to read to understand some comments.

If you walked past yesterday was the pin acoss the towpath. If so and you are moored nearby can you not move the pin.

As is usual with this type of post the OP has not come back to answer any doubts and theories.

I call them firework posts, light the fuse and stand well back.

Yes this type of post has always been around.

It used to be called trolling, before the term was subverted to mean posting nasty/offensive stuff.

I must be an idiot then, its very rare I use a torch in fact I dont like using them, I much prefer to allow my eyes to adjust and enjoy the dark.

I will carry one in the depths of winter but almost never find the need to use it

Almost a perfect troll spoilt only by his second posting........

A perfect troll is a new member who makes one post causing heavy discussion (argument) and leaves everyone to it.

we'll that's what trolling used to be until the meaning was hijacked.

Anybody know the friendly narrowboat forum. Nothing coming up on Google. Is it a nickname or a Facebook site.

Trolling is not (specifically) in the rules. Inflammatory posting is - how many people would be happy if I locked and hid this thread? How many people want it to continue? There is a fine line between posting something inflammatory, and posting something which generates a large amount of relevant discussion.

It's not mine to alter, after all.

I hope that all moderators will adopt your tolerant attitude.

But is personal abuse not against the forum's rules? To me, calling people dirty, filthy and stinking comes into that category.

Edited by Athy

Also, if the pin is struck by lightning and melts, the rope will release. Bad form.

We have lightning conductors on ours. I believe they are to be compulsory after the year 2040.

But is personal abuse not against the forum's rules? To me, calling people dirty, filthy and stinking comes into that category.

He didn't call anyone dirty, filthy and stinking though did he? He said that's what people think of boaters when they see this type of mess.

• Greenie 1

The OP does use the word"us" so assuming a boat owner he or she is included.

Whatever is behind this post its not rude or politics or religion and as long as the thread does not end up with members getting out of their prams and throwing ballast at each other then I feel it should stay.

• Greenie 1

Paul please. In the dark. Children not paying attention in daylight. Perhaps most unlikely someone with bad sight.

On way back from pub.

Can you give link to friendly narrowboat forum.

I think this is the FB group mentioned:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/davejellybeancanalforum/

Edited by Graham Davis

That does bother me a bit. To say in general terms "There are some dirty filthy stinking people about" is one thing, but this highlights an individual. We do not know all of the circumstances.

One example: A boat sunk at Burscough on L&L some years ago, and a forum member did a lot to help. Turns out the owner was seriously ill with cancer, and died (aboard IIRC).

Edited by Guest

as long as the thread does not end up with members getting out of their prams and throwing ballast at each other then I feel it should stay.

A greeno for the vivid visual image of the day.

I see that one of its members is named as "Elaine Carbine Atkinson". Sounds about as friendly as Machine Gun Kelly or Pistols Scaramanga.

That does bother me a bit. To say in general terms "There are some dirty filthy stinking people about" is one thing, but this highlights an individual. We do not know all of the circumstances.

One example: A boat sunk at Burscough on L&L some years ago, and a forum member did a lot to help. Turns out the owner was seriously ill with cancer, and died (aboard IIRC).

Once again, the OP doesn't call anyone dirty, stinking or filthy. He says "Thats what people call us when they see behaviour like this"

Can none of you read?