Dirty stinking filthy Boaters

BoatyMCboatface

Featured Posts

If we don't want our waterways being spoilt by rubbish or litter, the answer is to clear it up rather than moan about it.

I pick up litter when walking my dog of an morning or an evening because I hate to see it. No amount of moaning or posting photos is ever going to stop people from being careless but if boaters are seen to be clearing up other's rubbish it will do our reputations a power of good.

Keith

• Greenie 4

So the boat sunk. Some of the stuff on the towpath, has possibly been rescued from the canal to stop it from fouling. The guy has not been back to sort it all out yet?

Anyway, some kind soul has decided to "plaster" it all over the internet and collect some brownie points. Clever.

Agreed,

I think it's poor form to post in this way, the op clearly knows nothing of the situation so it's hardly fair.

At least they are honest!

Do you think? I smell a rat..

Yes, quite a large rat, I think in this case.

Boaty McCoypu?

Otherwise someone will post your picture inhere with a title like 'duty stinking boaters'. You can never be too careful in the age of the internet mooring police.

biggrin.png

I'm a bit confused here. The OP seems to be saying that this rather smart looking boat was sunk, raised then restored, but we're also told that it's still in a poor state inside? It seems odd that the exterior looks that good in the circumstances.

As to mooring with lines across the towpath, it's something that should only be a last resort where no better mooring is available, which may be the case here if there's no rings or Armco to tie to and some fool has laid a hard surface all the way across from the towpath to the edge. In such circumstances I can sympathise with the boater, but perhaps a more dazzling display of plastic tied to the line would be wise.

The photo is recent, I walked past yesterday but did not notice the rubbish,the boat still looks very wet inside and I imagine the engine will need some attention before it can move under its own steam. It's only a few hundred yards from where it sank.

If you walked past yesterday was the pin acoss the towpath. If so and you are moored nearby can you not move the pin.

As is usual with this type of post the OP has not come back to answer any doubts and theories.

I call them firework posts, light the fuse and stand well back.

If you walked past yesterday was the pin acoss the towpath. If so and you are moored nearby can you not move the pin.

As is usual with this type of post the OP has not come back to answer any doubts and theories.

I call them firework posts, light the fuse and stand well back.

You can't really go tampering with another boat's mooring lines.

You can't really go tampering with another boat's mooring lines.

If they are causing danger, to the boat or to other people, I think you can. Numerous people on here have reported slackening or re-tying another boat's ropes at times of changing water levels, for example, and this is generally greeted as a Good Thing.

I don't know the circumstances of this boat so have no comment to make re. who dumped the rubbish, why it sunk etc.

I agree with the poster who said it would be best to take action re. the rubbish. We find ourselves doing this a lot lately, both on and off canal.

In some places along that stretch of canal that is the only way pins can be used; we tend to avoid mooring there but some people like/need to do so. I see the ropes in the pic have bags on them, I don't see what else can be done.

I agree that the loops on mooring pins are not good, and should be used only as "backup," best to loop ropes around the pin. I find the loop is useful to pass a second pin through at an opposing angle to the first (we do this as the norm now given the increased speed in canal traffic.)

No, the the rope is now coiled on the front deck and the middle rope is set just behind the concrete together with the stern rope, so no ropes across the tow path. Hope it stays OK as the wind is moving the bow.

If they are causing danger, to the boat or to other people, I think you can. Numerous people on here have reported slackening or re-tying another boat's ropes at times of changing water levels, for example, and this is generally greeted as a Good Thing.

I've often wondered how boaters feel generally about their boat being moved up a bit to close a gap so you can moor up. That would entail re-tying ropes. Actually, I guess most of us have re-tyed ropes when we've found a boat adrift. Perhaps a good subject for a new thread.

The two are completely different things though. If a boat is in danger of breaking its moorings or one of the mooring lines has already broken away, then retying is a good thing. If its simply inconveniently placed (boat or mooring line) then its different.

Of course you can if across the towpath. Could save someone a nasty trip.

Edit. Do you never tie loose boats that have one pin out.

Just noticed on zooming pic that the stern line is not across the towpath. I too say move the rope if possible. If we consider something to be dangerous to others, do we not have a moral duty to act if we feel it is appropriate?

The two are completely different things though. If a boat is in danger of breaking its moorings or one of the mooring lines has already broken away, then retying is a good thing. If its simply inconveniently placed (boat or mooring line) then its different.

I don't object to anyone re-tying my boat or moving it a few yards provided they do it properly. That is the problem I suppose, someone not tying it up properly.

So you would leave the rope across the path then. Fair enough if that's your choice I would and have moved lines across path, it dangerous. But I respect your choice of not touching the rope.

I beg to differ. You seem to imply that if the boat is in danger, that it is OK to intervene, but if it poses an inconvenience (possibly a danger) to a pedestrian perhaps, then that is OK. If that is not your intended meaning, please accept my apologies, but that is how I interpret it.