steel or GRP??

mustang41

Featured Posts

One way to swing for a GRP boat to say it in the correct term, is that it is so much easier and cheaper to repair if ever need be.

Because there are high prices for any boat, steel or GRP its down to the purchaser. I always seeit as if things are high in price there must be reasons for it or folk would not pay it, there fore prices wouldnt be so high.

Good for you, I'm not sure why you have elected yourself the authority on it because you've looked at a few ropey boat's though.

There are many many quality boats in the 15-30k range.

Writing off a type of boat because you have a limited experience isn't that helpful, Phil Ambrose has already stated his experience if broads boats as have I, it's aa little more extensive than doing a bit of research.

Don't forget, alternative view points are allowed, stamping you're feet and declaring you're right isn't the most helpful way to conduct a discussion.

What on earth are you on?

I have extensive boat renovation including major hull repair experience that stretches far beyond a few ropey boats.

I have not stamped my feet I gave the OP a realistic opinion based up "real" hands on experience to which you rudely call nonsense.

Spending 30k on an old broads cruiser is not a good idea especially for canal use.

Dare I guess you are one of the brokers selling such boats hence your bad attitude!

I have extensive boat renovation including major hull repair experience that stretches far beyond a few ropey boats.

I have not stamped my feet I gave the OP a realistic opinion based up "real" hands on experience to which you rudely call nonsense.

Spending 30k on an old broads cruiser is not a good idea especially for canal use.

Dare I guess you are one of the brokers selling such boats hence your bad attitude!

Sorry chap, I'll leave you too it, life's too bloody short :(

• Greenie 1

Sorry chap, I'll leave you too it, life's too bloody short sad.png

most definatley, a young chao i know just had heart attack last week and passed away, 44 years old ohmy.png

most definatley, a young chao i know just had heart attack last week and passed away, 44 years old ohmy.png

Sucks doesn't it?

A mate of mine 12 years older than me keeps having a look in from the grim reaper, 3 goes in hospital in the last 9 month's for blocked pipes. He's a plumber so we keep threatening to powerflush him see if that can do the trick rather than having stents fitted in the cardio ward :)

As Freddy siad ` The show must go on OOooooo ` :)

Brings me to the new name for my boat :) not telling yet though, but it suits me down to the ground.

• Greenie 1

There we have a dilemma you maintain you know it all whereas others have actually had years doing it,hmmm what to believe.

Phil

• Greenie 3

There we have a dilemma you maintain you know it all whereas others have actually had years doing it,hmmm what to believe.

Phil

There is no dilemma Phil I don't claim to know it all but have also had years doing it hence why my advise is anything but nonsense.

I am far from claiming expert knowledge (although at the moment I own both steel and GRP boats) My experiences align with Phil and Gazza,

I would far rather live on a good GRP boat than a crappy steel boat.........there are plenty of crappy examples (at vastly inflated prices) around in both materials

• Greenie 2

Having lived aboard on steel, GRP, aluminium and wooden boats they all have their vices and their delights.

I'm not at all sure that any of them are better or worse than the others (though you do have to have a certain passion to live with wood)

In the end most people just go with the boat they really like regardless of what it is made from or even what it costs.

It would be awfully boring if they didn't.

• Greenie 1

Having lived aboard on steel, GRP, aluminium and wooden boats they all have their vices and their delights.

I'm not at all sure that any of them are better or worse than the others (though you do have to have a certain passion to live with wood)

In the end most people just go with the boat they really like regardless of what it is made from or even what it costs.

It would be awfully boring if they didn't.

Yeah, virtual greenie.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

dam expensive for that size and needs a full fit out.,

Won't go up a narrow canal either.

You would be able to willy wave about having a 3' draft just like the chaps with the Hysterical ex working boats though.

Won't go up a narrow canal either.

You would be able to willy wave about having a 3' draft just like the chaps with the Hysterical ex working boats though.

not sure either what the UK canals he is on about and being able to cruise all of them lol, 10 foot beam and 3 foot draft. i think not .

not sure either what the UK canals he is on about and being able to cruise all of them lol, 10 foot beam and 3 foot draft. i think not .

Having a boat at 9' 6" beam that won't go up the Northampton Arm stops me having a Momentary Lapse of Reason. Mrs Gazza helps by threatening to brain me as well :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a bit clearer on my budget now and am facing a choice. I could probably afford a widebeam sailaway from lmbs.

However I will be living aboard on the River Medway,and I would like to venture out towards the sea,so have been looking at grp cruisers.

Thing is all the nice looking ones in my budget are about 25-30 years old. Is age as much of a factor with grp as it could potentially be with a steel boat?

I'm a bit clearer on my budget now and am facing a choice. I could probably afford a widebeam sailaway from lmbs.

However I will be living aboard on the River Medway,and I would like to venture out towards the sea,so have been looking at grp cruisers.

Thing is all the nice looking ones in my budget are about 25-30 years old. Is age as much of a factor with grp as it could potentially be with a steel boat?

Good choice ;) you got my dreams there :) . GRP is fine and longer lasting than steel with less upkeep, age will not do any harm aslong as you keep it clean and antifouled. I have had boats, smaller cruisers but GRP is GRP no matter what if made/laminated correctly and they have been upto 50 years old, a bit if spit and polish and look as good as new.. Just check for osmosis , but then then a survey will do all that.

enjoy you jammy sod;)

• 3 weeks later...

They can be lovely, if they have been looked after. There's some gorgeous cruisers out there. I think if I knew now what I knew before I bought my narrowboat, I'd have bought a really good GRP cruiser instead. There is far less hassle involved in owning one.

However, as someone who has only recently started looking at the boat market again (since I decided to sell my nb), the price of them appears to have gone up disproportionately. So there's less of a financial advantage to owning a GRP boat.

I think that my eleven years of living on a boat tell me that the most important thing is to remember the facilities will never be as good as a house, and will be more stress when it goes wrong. So the simpler your boat, the better it is. And the smaller it is, the more possibilities there are for moorings.

If you find a well maintained and looked after 25-30 year old GRP boat it should still have plenty of life left in the hull.

Fixtures, fittings and mechanical items will still age much the same as any steel boat however so look for plenty of service history and receipts for works carried out. Unlike narrowboat engines replacing a decent sized estuary or coastal cruiser engine or engines can be a very expensive job.

As an example a second hand engine for ours with no rebuild or refurbishment carried out is £10k before getting it fitted. With this in mind you need to make sure the engine or engines are in good condition.

You can expect that a 25-30 year old GRP hull will be showing some signs of osmosis. In fact I would probably be more surprised to see a hull of that age that isn't and the surveyors moisture readings will be at the high end of the scale. It isn't the end of the boat that some would have you believe and how you treat it will very much depend on the extent of the osmosis. Small areas can be DIY treated but this is only prolonging the period before the whole hull wants attention. If one area has succumbed, th e rest won't be too far behind.

Have you also considered Dutch steel cruisers?

• Greenie 1

NC pretty well covers it with the above post.

I will however surprise her ........ I have just inspected Shapfell's hull (while checking prop and rudder).

Absolutely no sign of osmosis and she is somewhere between 40 and 45 years old

(Shapfell is a 25 foot narrow beam GRP cruiser built by Ormelite)