steel or GRP??

mustang41

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm in search of my first liveaboard. I've decided a narrowboat is,well,too narrow so I want a wide beam.

Thing is,at my budget,approx 45k, it seems that I'm looking at the lower end of the widebeam market.

However I've seen 45-50 foot by 12 foot broads type river cruisers for around 20-25k which got me wondering if that would be a viable option , as I'd have the additional money to get it how I want it.

Just wondered what your thoughts would be on the pros and cons?

Steve

There are several widebeam GRP broads type live-aboards here in Bristol, a long way from home. They seem to be very comfortable and relatively maintenance free. I believe they rely on mains electric for heating, expensive but very straightforward and flexible.

Man you d get a pretty awesome narrow boat for your buck. I did my first winter in Tupperware and spent most of it convinced I was to freeze to death. There's always maintenance on whatever you end up with......'you get the boat you deserve'......that still haunts me!

There are several widebeam GRP broads type live-aboards here in Bristol, a long way from home. They seem to be very comfortable and relatively maintenance free. I believe they rely on mains electric for heating, expensive but very straightforward and flexible.

Lots of seagoing GRP boats in UK marinas over winter. I spent many a happy weekend holed up in Glasson Dock on a GRP boat. The Eberspacher diesel heater kept it nice and toasty.

I'm not sure why you wouldnt have a fuel burning stove on a GRP boat ... with the same protection as on a steel boat, it wouldnt melt anything, and steel boats are as much at risk of catching fire as a GRP boat.

Having said that, there seems to be a perception that a steel boat is more desirable to a "plastic" boat on the canals, whereas GRP seems preferable to steel in seagoing arenas.

It doesnt matter what the boat is made of for a liveabord, its how it is built/constructed, is it insulated, what heating it has as can be cold in summer at night and dam cold in winter.

Many a good GRP boat about in your price range and needed spec, Steel is more costly and does tend to need more maintenance i reckon.

Wide beam sail away might be an idea?

The good thing about wide beams is you can put more housy type stuff in them while you rough it as more funds allow.

I camped in my sail away and pleased I did rather than buy an over priced second hand knackered boat!

Oh dear, again the old wives tales come out about GRP boats.

We lived for 10 years on a 40'x12' GRP Broads cruiser (on the Broads) and were always warm and comfortable.

We had a drip feed diesel heater, 8kw Glembring which was brilliant, spent winter in T shirts. We also had a Mikuni as back up.

Auto washing machine, tumble dryer fridge and freezer. Refused to accept that living on s boat meant camping. Just make your decision and go for it which ever boat you decide on.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Funnily enough I've been looking at widebeam sail aways! Much cheaper than I thought,and a 60x12 can be zero VAT.....which means that I could have one with the majority of the work already done.

I noticed that the Crick show is in May,is this a place where these companies attend?

If your fitting out a sail away you will be camping on it for a bit its a fact, it's fun while you work on the boat rather than settling for and old plastic broads cruiser.

Nothing wrong with old Broads cruisers, I have had 10 years on one and now 6 years on s 60" NB so feel qualified to say

Phil

Nothing wrong with old Broads cruisers, I have had 10 years on one and now 6 years on s 60" NB so feel qualified to say

Phil

Yes, quite a few of the retired Broads cruisers make good Live aboards,after all they were designed to be robust and comfortable.

CT

If your fitting out a sail away you will be camping on it for a bit its a fact, it's fun while you work on the boat rather than settling for and old plastic broads cruiser.

Dad lived on a DC 30 at Oulton Broad for many years no problem.

They only big issue he had was the Tidal Surge a couple of years back, the boat was fine, it was the risk of his car getting drowned that was the biggest headache!

Phil

That's not entirely correct though is it really there are shed loads of things wrong with the things from knackered transverse engine installations to knackered windows and stinking carpet stuck on the fiberglass, they are not all like the one you had?

An old broads cruiser in good condition without significant osmosis or damp damage fitted out to the level of comfort you had is not going to give much change out of 25k plus.

A brand new steel sail away is far better value for money when you put all sentimental memories aside.

Edited by GreenDuck

Funnily enough I've been looking at widebeam sail aways! Much cheaper than I thought,and a 60x12 can be zero VAT.....which means that I could have one with the majority of the work already done.

I noticed that the Crick show is in May,is this a place where these companies attend?

They might do but people who sell boats at those places sell you the dream not the reality.

Try this guy http://www.lmbs.co.uk

Bare in mind it's the same firm who builds most of the sail away wide beam shells for a lot of the boat fitting firms accept a few more expensive ones like Piper.

Why not consider a narrowboat?

Smaller space to heat,maintain and in material cost.

That's not entirely correct though is it really there are shed loads of things wrong with the things from knackered transverse engine installations to knackered windows and stinking carpet stuck on the fiberglass, they are not all like the one you had?

An old broads cruiser in good condition without significant osmosis or damp damage fitted out to the level of comfort you had is not going to give much change out of 25k plus.

A brand new steel sail away is far better value for money when you put all sentimental memories aside.

Nonsense.

That's all that's needed to sum that lot up ;)

• Greenie 1

Nonsense.

That's all that's needed to sum that lot up ;)

its not nonsense I've done it end of boy any amount of research by looking at such boats will reveal the truth.

Just go apolloduck there is one on there now for 10k for a 30 foot peice of Tupperware built in the 70s total joke.

Edited by GreenDuck

its not nonsense I've done it end of boy any amount of research by looking at such boats will reveal the truth.

Just go apolloduck there is one on there now for 10k for a 30 foot peice of Tupperware built in the 70s total joke.

Bit of respect please. No need for the boy comment.

As for your I've done it comment, having grown up boating in Broadband I've a fair idea what's about ;)

Bit of respect please. No need for the boy comment.

As for your I've done it comment, having grown up boating in Broadband I've a fair idea what's about ;)

that still does not detract from the fact "I've done it"

I've looked at endless amounts of over priced plastic boats as well as owning them, I know the script.

No lack of respect, it saved a lot of needless typing.

it was very disrespectful as my knowledge is anything but nonsense so the comment is needless as it lacks any substance.

that still does not detract from the fact "I've done it"

I've looked at endless amounts of over priced plastic boats as well as owning them, I know the script.

Good for you, I'm not sure why you have elected yourself the authority on it because you've looked at a few ropey boat's though.

There are many many quality boats in the 15-30k range.

Writing off a type of boat because you have a limited experience isn't that helpful, Phil Ambrose has already stated his experience if broads boats as have I, it's aa little more extensive than doing a bit of research.

Don't forget, alternative view points are allowed, stamping you're feet and declaring you're right isn't the most helpful way to conduct a discussion.

• Greenie 2