steel or GRP??

mustang41

Featured Posts

So excuse my ignorance but what is the end game with osmosis? I've read about it,think I've got a fairly good idea how it occurs, but ultimately does it sink your boat? Also while I'm here, is taking the boat out of the water to dry out every year necessary?

In a word no.

Carl has pretty much covered it.

Ours is 50 years old, few odd bubbles here and there. I fully expect it to outlast me.

As for drying out, if you can afford it and don't need the use of the boat it isn't a bad idea - no worry of it coming to harm over the winter months. It will do little to stop any osmosis occuring, but it does give you a chance to AF frequently, polish the gel coat, inspect sterngear etc.

I think NaughtyCal is out yearly. We normally have 2 weeks bi annually. On occasion we have been chocked for 6 months and may do so again this winter. I have some skeg bolts I want to change and some seacocks to service.

Edited by gazza

In a word no.

Carl has pretty much covered it.

Ours is 50 years old, few odd bubbles here and there. I fully expect it to outlast me.

As for drying out, if you can afford it and don't need the use of the boat it isn't a bad idea - no worry of it coming to harm over the winter months. It will do little to stop any osmosis occuring, but it does give you a chance to AF frequently, polish the gel coat, inspect sterngear etc.

I think NaughtyCal is out yearly. We normally have 2 weeks bi annually. On occasion we have been chocked for 6 months and may do so again this winter. I have some skeg bolts I want to change and some seacocks to service.

Yes ours comes out for a few months each winter when we are not using it so much. Gives us chance to work through all of the jobs we want to get finished before the summer months arrive. No point having the boat sat in the water not being used, it might as well be ashore.

It also means we can keep a thorough eye on the condition of the hull and stern gear.

NC will be out for 3 months again this winter as we have an ever growing list of jobs we want to do before our trip to Scotland next year.

Yes ours comes out for a few months each winter when we are not using it so much. Gives us chance to work through all of the jobs we want to get finished before the summer months arrive. No point having the boat sat in the water not being used, it might as well be ashore.

It also means we can keep a thorough eye on the condition of the hull and stern gear.

NC will be out for 3 months again this winter as we have an ever growing list of jobs we want to do before our trip to Scotland next year.

I thought that was the case.

I keep thinking my list is manageable but then I have another brainwave and add to it!

I've promised myself no more buggering about until October, we have managed 6 days aboard and a grand total of about 15 miles and 8 lock operations.

Absolutely pants for us - but we are now in a much better shape for a heavy bout of usage over the summer.

You will be amazed to hear we now have a fuel gauge - like NC the fuel tank is now across the beam if the boat rather than lengthways on the port side, the filler is still on the port gunwale so the 50 year old wooden dipstick is now redundant. Quite novel having a fuel gauge!

The original dipstick has been reused as a batten in a bit of paneling, she's had it for 50 years so I thought I had better make sure it stayed with her for a few more :)

Gazza, if your boat is fo years old, what is it?

Elysian 27. Built for Herbert Wood for the '66 season, in hire on the broads till 1990, pensioned off to our river since then. Our ownership since 2009.

Will post some pics later.

Edited by gazza

Elysian 27. Built for Herbert Wood for the '66 season, in hire on the broads till 1990, pensioned off to our river since then. Our ownership since 2009.

Will post some pics later.

I like those. We looked at a few before buying the Nauticus 27, but SWMBO wanted a cruiser that could also fit the narrow canals.

I like those. We looked at a few before buying the Nauticus 27, but SWMBO wanted a cruiser that could also fit the narrow canals.

Conversely, my boss never wants to go on a canal with our boats ever again!

Between myself my brother and my dad we have 2 narrow beam cruisers and 2 Elysians. One of each type in the Nene and the Broads.

The Nauticus is a smart looking boat, like the E27 they age well, I don't consider them to look dated like a Freeman or Seamaster does.

I have met Hugh Easton the man behind the E27, interesting old boy :)

Edited by gazza

I thought that was the case.

I keep thinking my list is manageable but then I have another brainwave and add to it!

I've promised myself no more buggering about until October, we have managed 6 days aboard and a grand total of about 15 miles and 8 lock operations.

Absolutely pants for us - but we are now in a much better shape for a heavy bout of usage over the summer.

You will be amazed to hear we now have a fuel gauge - like NC the fuel tank is now across the beam if the boat rather than lengthways on the port side, the filler is still on the port gunwale so the 50 year old wooden dipstick is now redundant. Quite novel having a fuel gauge!

The original dipstick has been reused as a batten in a bit of paneling, she's had it for 50 years so I thought I had better make sure it stayed with her for a few more smile.png

There are always little jobs to do through the year. No such thing as a tinker free summer even though we spend 3 months ashore. rolleyes.gif

We have managed a few more miles and locks then that though. 389 miles and 16 locks and counting biggrin.png

There are always little jobs to do through the year. No such thing as a tinker free summer even though we spend 3 months ashore. rolleyes.gif

We have managed a few more miles and locks then that though. 389 miles and 16 locks and counting biggrin.png

That's true, but I am determined not to start on anything else, odd stuff that crops up is one thing, I'll put the headlining replacement on the back burner till we don't need to move again :)

Are you going to start your trip reports on here again? Always enjoyed your photos

That's true, but I am determined not to start on anything else, odd stuff that crops up is one thing, I'll put the headlining replacement on the back burner till we don't need to move again :)

Are you going to start your trip reports on here again? Always enjoyed your photos

I might do them retrospectively at some point but I won't be doing them whilst we are away this year.

But Freemans are wonderful!

They are OK, not my cup of tea.

Watch out for rotten keels - the p braket locates in it, I've seen several that are in a parlous state. Not an easy job to put right.

I might do them retrospectively at some point but I won't be doing them whilst we are away this year.

Fair enough :cheers: Edited by gazza

They are OK, not my cup of tea.

Watch out for rotten keels - the p braket locates in it, I've seen several that are in a parlous state. Not an easy job to put right.

Fair enough :cheers:

Worrying if your P bracket fails, I had a 21ft day boat based on 21ft Seamaster hull and one day suddenly a he'll of a clatter started up, I cut the revs till the noise stopped and limped home.

I towed the dayboat to my local yard and they lifted it to find the P bracket hanging On by one bolt, 3 had gone and th bottom of the hull had a big chomp out of it. The original bolts were MS and had rusted, new SS fitted and glassed in along with the chomp.

Phil

Worrying if your P bracket fails, I had a 21ft day boat based on 21ft Seamaster hull and one day suddenly a he'll of a clatter started up, I cut the revs till the noise stopped and limped home.

I towed the dayboat to my local yard and they lifted it to find the P bracket hanging On by one bolt, 3 had gone and th bottom of the hull had a big chomp out of it. The original bolts were MS and had rusted, new SS fitted and glassed in along with the chomp.

Phil

Oops!

Dad had some cracking shots of an E27 that snagged a pot rope, it lunched the p bracket and prop shaft.

We've got a bacon slicer type rope cutter and the skeg that affords alot of protection.

post-5269-0-41026700-1465496374_thumb.jpg

A 50 year old bottom with no real osmosis issues and a nice new lot of stern gear. I replaced the 4 tired mild steel p bracket bolts with SS bolts that are strapped in pairs by welding a piece of flat across the heads inside the hull, I then re-glassed the heads so I can change the p bracket without having to do more glass work inside the engine 'ole

post-5269-0-28915300-1465496439_thumb.jpg

Getting there :)

As I said, I think the E27 and Nauticus have a shape that ages well.

Edited by gazza

Oops!

Dad had some cracking shots of an E27 that snagged a pot rope, it lunched the p bracket and prop shaft.

We've got a bacon slicer type rope cutter and the skeg that affords alot of protection.

20150320_164338.jpg

A 50 year old bottom with no real osmosis issues and a nice new lot of stern gear. I replaced the 4 tired mild steel p bracket bolts with SS bolts that are strapped in pairs by welding a piece of flat across the heads inside the hull, I then re-glassed the heads so I can change the p bracket without having to do more glass work inside the engine 'ole

IMG_20150614_100015382_HDR.jpg

Getting there :)

As I said, I think the E27 and Nauticus have a shape that ages well.

I can see plenty of blisters to keep you busy there :D

Not bad though for an old girl.

Seen far worse.

I can see plenty of blisters to keep you busy there :D

Not bad though for an old girl.

Seen far worse.

They get no worse year on year, we've had her out 4 times for varying lengths over the last 7 years. She didn't get such treatment in the previous owners care!

The lumps round the water intake are the glassed over nuts holding the spreader plate for the intake strainer.

Edited by gazza