Heading to Birmingham

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

Going to head to Birmingham this weekend, or would like to at least.

Setting off from Atherstone Friday with a view to getting up near Curdworth in the evening, stop for grub then head off early Saturday and arrive gas street maybe (near the pubs) for a night out, then reverse.

I know i can get to curdworth as i have been that way before, but from curdworth to gas street is about 8 hours?

Will not be alone so no single handling though the locks.

Is the Dog & Doublet any good, reading mixed reviews on the web?

Is Gas street the best option on a bank holiday weekend, bearing in mind i wouldnt mind hitting broad street.

Last year I did Cambrian Wharf to Curdworth in just over 8 hours (07:30 - 16:00). Most, if not all, of the Farmer's Bridge locks were with us as were the Aston flight. It was also pretty quiet so there was no queueing. As I recall there were a couple of stops to remove stuff off the prop as the canal is pretty full of detritus.

Don't mind the locks so much, its the constant rain that's forecast puts me off. If i had another day then I might be tempted, but its a tight deadline....

Up to Fradley and sit in the pub Saturday night I reckon.

How is The Swan at Fradley? Based on the Tripadvisor reviews, it's one to avoid.

If I were an estate agent, I'd call it unpretentious. The food is basic crap and it's a bit rough round the edges. But it's a proper pub. Nice beer, good atmosphere, friendly customers. You can enjoy the bustle of the junction when sitting outside. If your looking for a gastropub, go elsewhere.

Was up there a couple of weekends ago, met Daniel and watched him throw his little car round a track, went to the swan, walked out and went the cafe!

Looked dirty and didn't really see any menu or anyone eating, but i wouldn't eat there anyway, would just want to enjoy some ale.

The Swan is a great pub. Food only just coming back online after a kitchen refurb. New landlord.

It's more a beer drinkers pub but popular with families at the weekends.

Read somewhere that the kitchen is still closed at the moment, I thought they would try to have it ready for Easter.

Ha, yeah the greyhound is the easy option, problem is been that way a lot over the last year so the other way it is...

Plus the greyhound is a special place, had my first date there with my gf, we had a beer there and decided to cruise into cov basin late at night then went out round cov, so that pubs reserved for our anniversary cruise !

Ha, yeah the greyhound is the easy option, problem is been that way a lot over the last year so the other way it is...

OK, cunning plan. Turn off up the Ashby, try the Lime Kilns with a view to Sunday (Monday?) lunch on the way home and then wind at Sutton Cheney. The Dog & Hedgehog is over the fields in Dadlington and Stoke Golding has three pubs, the Three Horse Shoes doesn't have the greatest beer but does have the excellent Mango Tree Indian restaurant tagged on the back, and thirty yards away the George & Dragon is the brewery tap for Church End, whose Goat's Milk should keep you happy.

Sorted. Happy Easter!

Pubs are for beer .

OIf you want to eat go to a restaurant.

cheers.gif

I think a decent pub should be able to offer a good steak & kidney pie, ploughmans, or gammon & chips etc. You should be able to take your dog, and arrive with muddy boots if it's a country pub.

Agreed, if you want haut-cuisine, head for a restaurant.

• Greenie 1

I think a decent pub should be able to offer a good steak & kidney pie, ploughmans, or gammon & chips etc. You should be able to take your dog, and arrive with muddy boots if it's a country pub.

Agreed, if you want haut-cuisine, head for a restaurant.

That's not bad, as long as it also has a fine ale or two, for those that want a bee-ore.