Harecastle Tunnel - inexperience

GreyLady

Featured Posts

Watch yer nut. Slight hazard especially when going north to south through the tunnel is the tunnel roof height fluctuations which begin with a facing solid brick arch that can crack your nut severely if your standing up and happen to be looking backwards at where you've been instead of looking forward to where you're going, they are or were painted white though.

Edited by bizzard

You will read on every tunnel notice that a life jacket is a good idea. I would wholly concur but it's not obligatory. Lots of life jacket discussion in other threads.

Nick

Thanks Nick I am planning to wear one all the time while moving the boat.

As I can't swim that good. Lol

I really appreciate everyone's advice.

Cheers all

Edited by GreyLady

Thanks Nick I am planning to wear one all the time while moving the boat.

As I can't swim that good. Lol

I really appreciate everyone's advice.

And a crash helmet in the tunnel, to save your nut. post 27. closedeyes.gif

Are these the ones you can pass in? I thought it would be obvious that I meant only narrow tunnels?

They are very short tunnels. You know a boat is coming the other way at Edgbaston because you can see it coming about half a mile away.

I'm pulling your leg Paul, it's not meant to be serious

Annoyingly, I can find the longest tunnel on the Internet, not the shortest

Richard

They are very short tunnels. You know a boat is coming the other way at Edgbaston because you can see it coming about half a mile away.

Richard

Broad street tunnel has got to be a contender, surely!

Broad street tunnel has got to be a contender, surely!

Is it a tunnel or a bridge? It's a lot shorter than it used to be now the church has gone

Define 'tunnel'.

To my mind, a tunnel is dug through natural material including the roof. Bet I'm wrong

Richard

They are ver4y short tunnels. You know a boat is coming the other way at Edgbaston because you can see it coming about half a mile away.

Richard

Gnosall tunnel on the shroppie is pretty marginal. It even has a bridge number. I'm sure its shorter than many motorway bridges.

Is it a tunnel or a bridge? It's a lot shorter than it used to be now the church has gone

To my mind, a tunnel is dug through natural material including the roof. Bet I'm wrong

Richard

Lots of tunnels where cut and fill I am told

I read all the stuff on here when Harecastle was on my delivery trip from Barton Turns to Stretford, and the consensus seemed to be to go through reasonably fast, so as to keep the boat in a straight line. I did this and went through in 28 minutes, but found I was holding onto the tiller for dear life, eyes focussed on ahead, and didnt dare relax for a second - it didnt feel right, and I dont think it helped keep the boat centred.

For the next three tunnels on the trip, including Preston Brook, I tootled through at a much slower speed, just like I tootle along the canals when not in a tunnel. It worked fine, I was much more able to keep centred, and a relaxing time was had. If you can steer a boat along a normal canal, you can steer it through these tunnels. So I would say, take your time and relax.

and mind your head on the roof of Harecastle.

Both Armitage and Fenny Compton tunnels are incredibly short these days - or at least the enclosed parts of them are (!)

Richard

So the London Underground Circle Line is just one long bridge?

Or what about the 'bridge' that takes the A55 under the Conwy estuary, and which was constructed as a series of concrete boxes which were floated into position and sunk into a dredged trench?

Define 'tunnel'.

There probably isn't a single unambiguous definition. CRT will have some definition that they use for asset management purposes. For Network Rail it is the means of inspection rather than the construction than is the defining factor. A bridge is inspected as a single entity and condition scores are assigned to the bridge as a whole whereas a tunnel is inspected in 10m sections which have their own condition score. Nominally overline structures greater than 50m in length are tunnels but there are exceptions according to construction e.g. a bored structure of less than 50m could be managed as a tunnel and there are motorway over bridges longer than 50m that are not managed as tunnels.

JP

So the London Underground Circle Line is just one long bridge?

Or what about the 'bridge' that takes the A55 under the Conwy estuary, and which was constructed as a series of concrete boxes which were floated into position and sunk into a dredged trench?

The Circle line - which is a virtual concept as it comprises a combination of the physical assets of the Hammersmith & City, Metroplitan and District Lines - is a series of individual bridges, tunnels and retaining walls.

The A55 at Conwy is a tunnel; it may even be two parallel tunnels (can't honestly remember). Technically it would be described as an immersed tunnel but it's size not construction that is key,

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

You should be fine.
The roof is low in a few places so (unless you are vertically challenged, like me) you have to be a bit careful.

Last time I went through the CRT guys were checking tunnel lights and horns.
If your horn was not working, they would lend an air horn, but they wouldn't let you through without a tunnel light, so it's best to check that these items are working before you arrive.
They always check lights, and have been checking horns for a few years now, however its a very good shout to check the tunnel light works.

Look out for the skeleton in the alcove on the right, about 100 metres from the north end.

When you exit the north end, slow down early and come out at tickover otherwise you may not get around the RH bend without going into the towpath bank.

Both good points.

- The skellington is excellent.
- South exit is straight for a fast get away, unless you want the waterpoint.

If you are really going fast, at the front, going south, ensure they have opened the doors. And yes it has happend!

You will read on every tunnel notice that a life jacket is a good idea. I would wholly concur but it's not obligatory. Lots of life jacket discussion in other threads.
It would not concern me if in a group, or on various boats including our own with a wheel. However if alone at the back of the boat when illness or a knock to the head could cause you to fall overboard, I would very much recommend a foam or self-inflating life jacket.

I've never met a train head-on in a tunnel - which proves it works.
We have once been accused of being a train when heard sounding off in the tunnel, with our replica A4 locomotive whistle.

Yes, lots of hire boaters do it on their first trip. Tips are: don't go too slow, that makes steering more difficult. Put on all the cabin lights (curtains open) so that there is some illumination of the walls - helps with position perception. Get a head torch. The tunnel is very variable in height, at the very lowest bits you need to be careful to keep the hand rails clear of the sides (by staying in the middle). Years ago it was much harder because there was a towpath but now it's been removed it is not that narrow. Just watch out for remenants of towpath at the entrance and exit - look along the boat at the waterline to make sure you aren't going to hit anything sticking out as you enter and exit.

It might seem a bit scary as you first go in and they shut the doors making it suddenly dark, but after a short time your eyes adjust and it's quite easy to see what is going on. When the fans start you sometimes get an instant fog caused by the pressure drop but it clears after 10 seconds or so.

Sounds advice. Putting on inside lights, save maybe the the most rear if it gets in your eyes, is a game changer.

Lots of tunnels where cut and fill I am told
Same as much of the London Underground.

The Circle line - which is a virtual concept as it comprises a combination of the physical assets of the Hammersmith & City, Metroplitan and District Lines ...
...Ditto I understand the M60 outer-ringroad around Manchester.

The only other thing I would see, having seen it first hand and in fact effected a 'rescue' of the situation, if that if the boat is a short/light boat and you are travelling north you can have issues with being unable to keep the front end from being blown onto the wall, trapping the boat against the wall. This was a maybe 25ft grp cruser, with a large screen (which unfortunately hit first) but I doubt anyone could have got it through single handed short of having the confidence and conviction to leave the wheel and stand on the foredeck with it in gear, which I would not want to do alone!!

Daniel