Delay to survey- what would you do?

Witchword

Featured Posts

Does that include any contents/possessions cover?

Ill give them a look, we are roving traders too which opens up a load of new issues. Some companies can (or think they might) include the public liability for trading within the existing public liability whilst others want to almost double the premium to effectively combine a marine trade policy with a liveaboard policy.

Current policy this year increased from £408 to £508

One company will do £290 plus an unknown extra bit for trading and an unknown extra bit for contents.

Two have been in the region of £1000

...............Dave

Hi

You can add the extra bits such as contents but we dont personaly bother We have a standard liveaboard policy for 50k cover of the usual stuff we have a 100 squid excess and have just renewed at £201. for this year. We have been with them for I think most if not all our liveaboard boating and I never bother shopping around.

Tim

Hi Everyone

We are VERY new to this and have just been through the survey process ourselves. We thought everything would be fine but the survey brought up lots of things which need resolving and so I would definitely agree with the first comment and make sure you have a survey done..... it was well worth the £'s.

The guy we used was completely independent to the broker but there was some restrictions on the times we could get the boat out of the water. It took about 5 days for the written report but very kindly gave us a verbal "heads up" so we knew in advance of the report what the problems are and were able to discuss these with the seller and move things along.

Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Or just use an insurer that doesn't require a survey...

Assuming the OP wishes to get comprehensive insurance, which companies will offer this on a newly purchased boat, no already over 25 years old with no survey available?

Edited by alan_fincher

Assuming the OP wishes to get comprehensive insurance, which companies will offer this on a newly purchased boat, no already over 25 years old with no survey available?

Craftinsure.com appear to. They only require a survey when the boat hits 30 years old.

Not sure if living aboard is ok though. One of the declarations they require a customer to make is "The boat will be used for private and pleasure purposes only."

Craftinsure.com appear to. They only require a survey when the boat hits 30 years old.

Not sure if living aboard is ok though. One of the declarations they require a customer to make is "The boat will be used for private and pleasure purposes only."

Isn't living a private purpose? I won't be hiring the boat out, which is what I'd assume that statement to prohibit.

They surely hope that living aboard will be a pleasure, and it will be their private home, so should be O.K. on both counts.

Craftinsure, as I already said in this thread several times.

Yes Craftinsure are ok with liveaboards, the private and pleasure bit means not for hire etc. They just gave me a reasonably good quote for boat insurance but have not get back to me yet with the extra stuff that we need for trading.

................Dave

I've emailed Craftinsure to see if they do contents insurance, or whether I need to add the value of (replacing) my belongings to the value of the boat- which I assume is the price I pay for it?

You need to talk to them on the phone. They will need value of boat and also value of your contents, plus list of any expensive items (laptops etc). I think you also need to specify if you want items insured when away from the boat (stolen from your car etc etc).

Its also worth reading some policy documents to get an idea how boat insurance works, its a bit less forgiving than house insurance.

If you sink due to a rust hole or other lack of maintenance then you will most likely not be covered......hence the survey!

................Dave

Its also worth reading some policy documents to get an idea how boat insurance works, its a bit less forgiving than house insurance.

If you sink due to a rust hole or other lack of maintenance then you will most likely not be covered......hence the survey!

................Dave

Our insurance policy actually has a statement to the effect "insurance is not an alternative to regular preventative maintenance" & "Remember that your policy is not a maintenance contract. It is up to you to ensure that all measures are taken to maintain your vessel and machinery".

What is not covered

4.10 Gradual Deterioration unless it could not have been identified by routine inspection and could not have been prevented by servicing, maintenance or replacement in accordance with the relevant manufacturer’s instructions, or generally accepted practice and advice from a qualified marine surveyor who is a member of their relevant professional surveying body.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

To be honest I'd expect that. You aren't insured if you allow the MOT to lapse on your car; same thing, I'd have thought.

I am with craftinsure they do cover livaboards. and your insurance is still ok if your MOT has expired

I am with craftinsure they do cover livaboards. and your insurance is still ok if your MOT has expired

Good news, but re the MOT, I thought you invalidate your insurance if you make illegal journeys- so you'd be covered on the trip to the MOT, but not if you were driving around generally without the MOT. Am I wrong?

Ref insuring.

How long between Surveys is required?

The boat in question was done less than 2 years ago.

Surely that transfers with boat?

I am hoping so! Day off tomorrow- lots of calls to make.

Good news, but re the MOT, I thought you invalidate your insurance if you make illegal journeys- so you'd be covered on the trip to the MOT, but not if you were driving around generally without the MOT. Am I wrong?

I am hoping so! Day off tomorrow- lots of calls to make.

Yes you are wrong driving without MOT is a £60 fine. If driving without MOT meant your insurance wasnt valid the fine would be larger points on your license and car removed by transporter, ask me how I know rolleyes.gifhelp.gif Good luck with all your jobs and hope everything goes well with your new home smile.png

Yes you are wrong driving without MOT is a £60 fine. If driving without MOT meant your insurance wasnt valid the fine would be larger points on your license and car removed by transporter, ask me how I know rolleyes.gifhelp.gif Good luck with all your jobs and hope everything goes well with your new home smile.png

Not necessarily - it would depend on the insurance policy concerned. They could put a clause in saying the car needs to be MoT'd for the insurance to be valid. AFAIK most don't have this clause, though.

Ref insuring.

How long between Surveys is required?

The boat in question was done less than 2 years ago.

Surely that transfers with boat?

What little validity a survey has is only 'valid' for the few seconds when the surveyor walks away from the boat - it may have a clause in it that certain things are warranted for 1 month / 3 months / 6 months.

The first page in the survey will normally contain a paragraph something like : "this survey was commissioned by Mrs XX ZZZZZ, and is only valid for her, no other person may place any reliance of this survey'

The last page of the survey is normally the 'small print' and will have a paragraph something like " I cannot make any comment on anything that I have not been able to view or access, I do not lift carpets or move items, or investigate anything that requires tools to view"

A survey does not 'travel' (change ownership) with the boat.

Not necessarily - it would depend on the insurance policy concerned. They could put a clause in saying the car needs to be MoT'd for the insurance to be valid. AFAIK most don't have this clause, though.

They would only be able to invalidate the comprehensive part of your cover. Third party is always valid.

They would only be able to invalidate the comprehensive part of your cover. Third party is always valid.

Cheers it is. I was stopped the MOT had run out 9 months before I knew the bobby he told me to go get a MOT which I did, It was taxed and I just forgot