Strange Business Procedure - Is it Just Me?

Featured Posts

If you don't like the terms offered, go elsewhere. I'm sure RCR will be utterly devastated.

if I had not declined there offer and hung up the phone then why would I even be bringing this to others attention?

I don't generally need to flounce or be told when I should flounce

I would not even touch them. Reputable or not, card details are not required till checkout unless a service is being booked that requires preauthorisation such as in hotels. You wouldn't hand over cash before getting a quote. If they want your custom they will quote without taking your card details. If not they'll learn their lesson that this is not an appropriate way to conduct their work when enough people walk away without giving them custom.

The reason they've given is also rubbish and rings warning bells. If the speed of work escalates so quickly, what's stopping them taking your payment details on the first day of the job?

That's an awfully big 'if'.

This sounds like a cracking good job, mending a broken macerator toilet, don't you think? I'm staggered there aren't hundreds of marine engineers out there desperate to dismantle and mend a broken macerator toilet. Well actually, I'm not - can you imagine why?

If the truth were known I'd speculate the real reason is that they want their 10% commission when the work commences, not after its done. Imagine the technician screws up and fails to do a good job. Quite commonplace I suspect, and they don't want to end up carrying the can. Can't imagine the dissatisfied customer calling RCR with their card details to pay the 10% agreed while they are still squabbling with the bloke who did a shyte job, so to speak.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

if I had not declined there offer and hung up the phone then why would I even be bringing this to others attention?

I don't generally need to flounce or be told when I should flounce

I said nothing about flouncing. Entirely your choice of words. I was making the point that the customer has a choice - accept on the terms offered, or find a supplier whose terms are acceptable. There is no tone of voice in a web post.

Hotels also take your card details on booking so they can charge you the no-show fee if you don't turn up.

It also protects them to some extent from idiots who think it's funny to tie up rooms for no reason.

I called RCR back and was put through to a chappie who explained that there is no void charge made upon the card but the card details are stored under encryption which he said they were entitled to do.

Upon further discussion it became apparent that the discussion I had yesterday was in fact extremely misleading. I was led to believe that a short time after handing over my card details I would be called with a quote for the job. Now firstly I failed to see how anyone could possibly quote for a job when it needs stripping down to investigate what the fault is but if someone wanted to then I was prepared to listen to the figures and see whether it was worth considering going ahead or not. Secondly, if that had been the scenario then I failed to see why they needed the card details.

I have now entered into a contract with them on the basis that they will get an engineer out to diagnose and quote. Obviously there will be a charge for this and so I was happy to hand over the card details on the basis that I am told it is likely the repair will be carried out by the end of the week (I will believe that when I see it)

The person I dealt with yesterday sounded very young and I suspect he was not ultra confident in his sales pitch. I think me firing questions at him that he was possibly unsure of the answers to may have exacerbated the situation as he got more flustered and less confident.

I spoke to someone else today who resolved my concerns over the card details before putting me back through to the young chap. The rest of the conversation was still a little difficult but, having spent years answering phones to people I know how daunting it can be and if you are not confident about what you have to say things can quickly spiral downwards so I will forgive him and hope he can learn how he can handle calls to instill confidence in his potential customers for future

Unless of course they have a nice reliable Vetus macerator system (ducks quickly)

I hope that pride does not come just before a fall - our Tecma has been ultra reliable for 12 years!

• Greenie 1

Glad your getting somewhere Cheshire R. My fingers are crossed for you. Like to add your recent post is a little ageist.

Ian.

Oh heck, not only did I refer to the person as young I referred to the person as male too so ageist AND sexist.

Well we were all young and inexperienced once upon a time weren't we.

Apologies if I have offended anyone with my remarks

Oh heck, not only did I refer to the person as young I referred to the person as male too so ageist AND sexist.

Well we were all young and inexperienced once upon a time weren't we.

Apologies if I have offended anyone with my remarks

I doubt many are offended. I bite easy when I see young people being complained about. They aren't all the same, as you know. Have a good day and once again good luck with your loo.

I don't complain about young people. In fact I rarely complain about anyone unless they REALLY deserve it. This thread was not intended to be a complaint, more a heads up to people about trading terms which seemed rather odd to me.

The fact of the matter is that in this instance my misunderstanding of the trading terms was a direct cause of one persons inexperience and lack of confidence. I think you read that as a complaint rather than an explanation of how the misunderstanding transpired

I happened to mention that this person "sounded young" I also happened to mention that this person was a male.

I suspect if I had chosen my words differently no one would have been any wiser what age or sex the person involved was but as I was merely relaying an outline of how my confusion had come about I did not feel that necessary.

For balance I am writing this as a middle aged blonde female which, if political incorrectness is to be believed is more likely to be the cause of my confusion. Especially when you add the fact that I was born in Essex into that equation.

For balance I am writing this as a middle aged blonde female which, if political incorrectness is to be believed is more likely to be the cause of my confusion. Especially when you add the fact that I was born in Essex into that equation.

Now you are being ageist again.

Once you admit to being a blonde Essex girl, no one will accept it is anything to do with your age ;)

I can totally understand why they do this. I operate a similar policy where my customer is not going to be present so I don't have to waste time after, chasing for payment.

Anyone who is any good at what they do and therefore in demand is in a position to dictate terms of business. There are no 'rules'. I get the occasional one who objects too along similar lines, saying it is not 'normal business practice' (usually letting agents objecting!) but I don't see why I should expose myself to extra risk just because my competitors do.

My view is the type of customer who objects to paying up front is the same customer who is likely to be evasive when chased for payment after to work has been done. (Not suggesting you wouldn't pay CR, just explaining my and probably their thinking. Thye've already told you their old policy resulted in not getting paid sometimes!)

Thing is, I don't need the customer who quibbles about payment terms, I prefer them to go to a competitor and my policy smokes them out in advance. I suspect RCR feel the same.

Have you tried asking the manufacturer of your loo for a list of service agents? I bet they get asked all the time!

My view is, it's usually bad policy for a customer to pay anything up front. I see no moral problem with the practice of withholding any payment until the work has been satisfactorily completed to the standard agreed prior to commencement (possibly in writing), or paid for in stages, as may be the agreement.

You may be an honest dealer, but there are plenty of rogues around. It cuts both ways.

Now you are being ageist again.

Once you admit to being a blonde Essex girl, no one will accept it is anything to do with your age wink.png

Now who is gulity of stereotyping? smile.png

I am proud of my roots (they are natural colour - white coz of my age)

Edited by cheshire~rose

I think Essex girls are a Good Thing.

They have added greatly to the gaiety of nations. They have kept impoverished newspaper tycoons in business, and, by being rather indiscriminating in their choice of bed-fellows, they have struck a blow against discrimination.

Those of us who are not in any great danger of being snapped up by Hollywood have reason to be grateful to those girls from Essex and their similar sisters who have happily embraced the plainer male.

Edited by George94

I think Essex girls are a Good Thing.

Those of us who are not in any great danger of being snapped up by Hollywood have reason to be grateful to those girls from Essex and their similar sisters who have happily embraced the plainer male.

The one to whom I have been married for 28 years certainly is, though I'm not sure she'd be flattered to be called a "thing".

Not altogether sure that I and my brother-in-law are plainer males either, but then of course we're biased.

The one to whom I have been married for 28 years certainly is, though I'm not sure she'd be flattered to be called a "thing".

Not altogether sure that I and my brother-in-law are plainer males either, but then of course we're biased.

"A Good Thing" refers to Essex girls as a category. I wasn't suggesting that each or any one of them was a "thing".

I'm intrigued to know why you are content to hand over card details now before work is carried out or service provided, on the promise that it will be, when you weren't before?

What's changed?

Been schmoozed by a good salesman...

An update.

Last Wednesday (2nd March) I outlined to the RCR Contracting service that although I had found someone who could "take a look" at the problem next Thursday (10th of March) I was hoping to find someone who could at least start to investigate what the problem is before then as I anticipated a potentially lengthy delay while locating parts once we had identified what we need. I specifically asked them when they anticipated they might be able to get someone to look at it. The reply I received indicated that they would expect to have the problem "sorted" by the end of the week. I left with them my mobile and land line numbers expressing either of those would be more suited to contact than the one on our account as that belongs to my husband and he might be in a meeting if they called.

On Friday 4th of March I had heard nothing so I called and was told they had been struggling to find anyone who could do it. They said they still had a few more lines of enquiry to follow up and would call me back in around an hour. That did not happen.

I called this morning. I have been told they have drawn a blank and they are unable to find anyone who can come out to look at the problem. I understand they have been trying to get a domestic plumber to look at it and none of them in our area have any experience of macerator loos on a boat (surprise!) Their suggestion is we take it to our nearest boatyard. (easy to say, not so easy to do - wait until April so hubby can take some time of work so we can take the boat out on tidal waters to get to a boat yard!)

They tell me they left a voicemail. As I never got one I checked what number they left it on, they say they left it on my husbands number (the one I told them was best not to use) Hubby has since checked his voicemail there is no message there either.

The upshot is the entire experience has been very negative. A very misleading description of how they operate was given. a totally impractical expectation of when the job might be completed was set and when they failed to find anyone to do the work they either lied about leaving a message or called a wrong number.

We have just wasted 5 days by trying to tap into their database of reliable contractors (when in fact they were simply using Google to locate plumbers in our area) If anyone else does consider using their service then do not believe their suggested timescales as they just make it up as they go along. We will certainly not be relying on their contracting service again