Eberspacher fuel consumption

Jen_P

Featured Posts

Can't use my multi-fuel stove at the moment due to breathing problems that landed me in A&E at the weekend. I am asthmatic - not normally an issue but it is at the minute.

I have an eberspacher DW5 but have lost the manual. Does anyone know what the fuel consumption would be? I don't want to run it then find I've used heaps of diesel.

Still in bed sick at moment so relying on small oil-filled radiator at the moment (on shoreline) but would be nice to sit in the lounge (currently freezing and too big to heat with oil filled rad) for a change!

Not sure of figures but it will also give lashings of hot water. The oil filled rad won't. I assume you have immersion for hot water so running eby will mean less electricity used. If you run engine for hot water then you might as well run ebby instead.

Above all you need, especially when not well, to be warm. Can you not get extra diesel in and not worry about it. Perhaps someone nearby can take boat to diesel or bring some in cans to you.

Get well soon and make sure that stove is safe before using it again.

hi we have a webasto but similar consumption I believe and it is very economical actually max of 1ltr per hour flat out prob much less . use it on average about 2-3 hours a day when cold to warm the boat up in mornings and evenings and top off with diesel about every 2 weeks when we pump out ( to keep bug at bay ) and only need about 20 -23 litres each fill and that includes diesel used by engine to maneavor the boat to the other end of the marina and back . So not three bad in my opinion

The only 'downside' of a eber is the electrical usage.

The D5W pump uses about 4 amps - extra if you have a blower (if you have it on all day & night that is 100Ah) make sure you are either plugged into the mains with you battery charger on, or run the engine a couple of hours per day extra.

We have an D8LC 8Kw eberspacher and thats very thirsty on both fuel and electricity

Fuel 1.05 litres per hour on 'high' and 0.4 litres on 'low'

Uses 10 amps so 24 hours use would be 240Ah

(Its 115 watts in operation & 330w on start up according to the manual)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Wow, thank you. A lot cheaper than I thought.

My boat builder said if I put the immersion on an hour beforehand and then started eberspacher, it would warm things more quickly. Do you do that?

Well that's true but I would suggest not doing it regularly. The reason being that the hot water the Eber circulates will reach the max temp sooner and it will continue in low power mode. General opinion is this is not so good for any of the small diesel heaters (Mikuni, Webasto, Eberspacher) as they like to be worked hard with the burner flat out to keep the combustion area clean.

I only use immersion heater and my Mikuni when returning to a cold previously empty boat.

Think that's when she meant - when starting from completely cold.

All useful advice. Thank you.

Using a little gadget, I just measured how much electricity the oil-filled rad is using in my toasty warm bedroom - 0.3 kW per hour which is 6.9p !!!

Much less than I thought.

Warm days await with no dust or mess from stove, I think!

I just spent ages typing in info and grey screened me!

Briefly, webasto thermotop C in 70 ft with double glazed portholes only.

Heating on all day 05:30 - 23:30 to maintain 19c and 15c during night (hasn't got that low in last couple of weeks).

Last 3 whole days (without the squirrel alight) has used 3.8 litres/day. So very pleased.

Edited by Markinaboat

Basically any "oil" from kerosene to diesel (inc red!) and veg oil and biodiesel all contain about 11 KWhrs per litre, usually assume that some being lost to make the chimney work so 10KWHrs comes from 1 litre, so likely a 5KW burner will take about 0.5litres of fuel each hour.

As ever most useful things stop working when the electricity runs out.

Think that's when she meant - when starting from completely cold.

All useful advice. Thank you.

Using a little gadget, I just measured how much electricity the oil-filled rad is using in my toasty warm bedroom - 0.3 kW per hour which is 6.9p !!!

Much less than I thought.

Warm days await with no dust or mess from stove, I think!

Whoop Whoop Whoop EMERGENCY EMERGENCY. UNITS CRIME. ALL PERSONNEL REPORT TO THIS THREAD

• Greenie 1

Thanks Tony. Don't understand but hey!!!

Tried eberspacher last night. Was disappointed. Immersion on for 40 minutes first then 1 hour 40 minutes of eberspacher and boat was still freezing so I resorted to electric heaters.

Thanks Tony. Don't understand but hey!!!

Tried eberspacher last night. Was disappointed. Immersion on for 40 minutes first then 1 hour 40 minutes of eberspacher and boat was still freezing so I resorted to electric heaters.

Maybe that's why its not using much fuel - with our Eberspacher we have heating within 10 minutes and within 20 minutes (ish) the cabin is comfortably warm.

They did after an hour. But took longer to warm up. My boat is big and lounge and galley are open plan.

There's no air lock. Have back boiler on multifuel stove on same system and it all kicks off big time with an air lock!!!

They did after an hour. But took longer to warm up. My boat is big and lounge and galley are open plan.

There's no air lock. Have back boiler on multifuel stove on same system and it all kicks off big time with an air lock!!!

That doesn't sound right to me. My Webasto gets the radiators lukewarm in 10 minutes and hot within 20, and that is starting with a cold calorifier.

Maybe the Ebersplutter needs do-coking or servicing?

It's brand new . yesterday was second time on!!!

It's brand new . yesterday was second time on!!!

Calm down Jen, it is a big boat same size as mine, you have a 5 kw heater and that is what I have for my central heating with the wispergen. It takes a long time for my boat to heat up just using the wispergen, 30 mins rads are warm 1.5 hours and they are hot. 3 hours and the boat is hot. So just leave it on for a bit longer young lady and all will be well. smile.png

Why? Have I calculated wrong? Is it £50 an hour or something and I'm going to bankrupt myself?!!!

I'm sorry Jen, it's been a long-standing thing here on this forum about people using the correct units! (In your case, correct would have been just '0.3kW', not 0.3 kW per hour. Kilowatts are ALREADY something per hour.

Don't take any notice of us boring old pedants, it's the only fun we get!