Cutting 70mm cable......bolt croppers vs junior hacksaw?

jenevers

Featured Posts

Cor! Want!

I'll try croppers once then jubilee/saw if croppers no good.

Ordinary croppers tend to crush and splay the cable, I wouldn't try them it will just make a mess. Of course the ones linked-to are the bees knees but overkill for an amateur. I'd strongly recommend the tape/jubilee clip and hacksaw method.

Ordinary croppers tend to crush and splay the cable, I wouldn't try them it will just make a mess.

I use this method all the time and it works well

Each to their own

Are we talking about the same kind of cable? Many, many fine strands

Richard

There is another type of wire cutter that I used to use, we called them parrot beaks (not the parrot beaks used for

steel wire) they had a double curve to the blade and were good for fairly big cable but I don't think I ever used them for much over 35mm or poss 50mm (to be honest can't remember, when it was big I always used the ratchets) If I can find them on the net I will check

found them in RS as well

F0254232-01.jpg

Edited by John V

Agreed - like most cheap tree loppers biggrin.png

Richard

Yes that is the point, if the are bolt cropper types they are normally like scissors or at least have straight blades that come together at an angle, and just push the cable away, spread and flatten it. If they are curved and entrap the cable, that should be fine.

There is another type of wire cutter that I used to use, we called them parrot beaks (not the parrot beaks used for

steel wire) they had a double curve to the blade and were good for fairly big cable but I don't think I ever used them for much over 35mm or poss 50mm (to be honest can't remember, when it was big I always used the ratchets) If I can find them on the net I will check

I know the type. Again, bypass blades.

Tony

Put a jubilee clip around the cable where you want to cut it, run hacksaw down the side of jubilee clip, cut, remove clip - 'Tidy Job' !!!

Oh I like that idea as I don't have any loppers...sadly poor timing as I have just finished my installation...rolleyes.gif