Mechanic/engineer Penkridge

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Could try Teddesley Boat CO - oh-one-seven eight five 7 1 4 6 9 2

at Parkgate lock.

Every time we have been near Teddesley it has appeared to not really be open for any kind of trade.

This may just be an impression, not a fact, though!

What's wrong with Streethay Wharf? Just asking so we can avoid them in future - if they are iffy.

(oh - just looked them up. we pulled in there in June and they were very friendly and I made a mental note to use them if ever we were their way. looked OK to me)

Edited by Emerald Fox

Is that a recommendation ?

Every time we have been near Teddesley it has appeared to not really be open for any kind of trade.

This may just be an impression, not a fact, though!

I thought it was an emergency - silly me - and TBC have always been helpful to me over 30 years of cruising... so yes it was a recommendation.

Perhaps I'll stop bothering in future.

A phone call to them might have produced someone local if they couldn't help.

Yes, they may be somewhat laid back; that's sometimes the charm of boating.

Edited by OldGoat

I thought it was an emergency - silly me - and TBC have always been helpful to me over 30 years of cruising... so yes it was a recommendation.

Perhaps I'll stop bothering in future.

A phone call to them might have produced someone local if they couldn't help.

Yes, they may be somewhat laid back; that's sometimes the charm of boating.

It depends on how you define an emergency I guess, I need a repair doing. I'm grateful for the suggestion, but the way you wrote it made it sound like you'd just given me a number you saw for them in a directory. I'll give them a call.

What's wrong with Streethay Wharf? Just asking so we can avoid them in future - if they are iffy.

(oh - just looked them up. we pulled in there in June and they were very friendly and I made a mental note to use them if ever we were their way. looked OK to me)

I personally had very poor service from them and left feeling ripped off. A similar experience happened to a close boating friend of mine. I don't want to go into detail on a boating forum but my experience of Streethay is that their sole interest is to do the bare minimum of work and then charge you handsomely for it. I've never felt so much like I'd joined a production line anywhere else on the network.

It depends on how you define an emergency I guess, I need a repair doing. I'm grateful for the suggestion, but the way you wrote it made it sound like you'd just given me a number you saw for them in a directory. I'll give them a call.

So often I go into lots of detail only to find that's not what the OP wanted - thus this time I'd just answer the direct question.

As you've had some more specific answers, perhaps you'd be better advised to try one of those.

JD Marine at Gailey, David is good at eletickerys. Also 'Blackhands' Richard Milligan he is a proper mechanic as well. Last time I saw him he was moored in Penkridge. Further out at Stourbridge is Andy Dowling a qualified electrical engineer.

Richard Milligan - 07973 826260

James

Teddersley ripped me off very badly for a basic repair years ago and I've never forgiven em - avoid unless you want to pay top notch for someone sucking air through their teeth (double time if they tut at the same time) and doing a poor job after.

Can't help on the local good people though - may be worth seeing if whoever you normally use would drive out.