Pilot light not staying lit

Featured Posts

Just before Christmas my boiler stopped working. Pilot light won't stay light.

The gas engineer came out to service it and changed the thermocouple but still the same goes out after a few seconds. The engineer was a bit confused over it, was supposed to contacting adle but I havnt heard back after several messages and voice messages.

Any ideas.

Sorry forgot to say its a Alde comfort Bolier.

Edited by rustydiver

First thing I would have said is thermocouple too, assuming the pilot flame shape is good. I guess the next possibility is the safety valve that's controlled by the thermocouple.

However, I'm no expert on Alde boilers and I think a call to them would be the most productive way forward.

Did he try a 2nd thermocouple just in case the replacement was faulty?

Check the pilot lite is clean and the flame is playing on the tip of the thermocouple.

Also look below where the thermocouple enters the gas valve, if there are 2 wires going into nut then the boiler has an overheat thermostat.

If you have a multi meter see if there is continuity across the wires, there should be.

The overheat thermostat cuts the thermocouple connection if there is a problem I.e overheating or it could itself be faulty.

Check these before spending money on any parts, good luck.

Google "graham cutmore"

He's the Alde expert and will travel....he used to be Alde technical manager and knows all the ins and outs.

I'm just a satisfied customer.

Cheers

Gareth

Definitely agree with Gareth

Graham Cutmore knows his stuff and was very obliging about meeting up with us in different locations (though that was a few years ago now).

If you can't find his contact details, I may be able to unearth them somewhere for you.

Good luck

For what it's worth. We have had, in the. Past, problems with our comfort boiler.

Ivechanged the thermal couple, igniter, and burner nozzle?? is that the name of it?

Worked fine for over a year. Your problem may be the burner bit. Easy to change once you get the burner unit out.

Mr Cutmore seems a nice chap. He passed me onto another chap who covered the area where we were. Charged us a fortune and didn't fix it. Luckily we were in Calcutt sometime later and they couldn't have been more helpful, and they had the bits.

Definitely agree with Gareth

Graham Cutmore knows his stuff and was very obliging about meeting up with us in different locations (though that was a few years ago now).

If you can't find his contact details, I may be able to unearth them somewhere for you.

Good luck

Graham has retired now, but someone else is doing his work, i had him out to service my boiler as suffered the same as you, took him about 30 minutes to sort and service, £100 as he had to travel which he charges £50/hour.

Forgot his name, phone number 07425540966

He also offers a refurb unit service to save travelling costs if you are happy to remove yourself.

Nice chap!

Edited by Dave Payne

Just heard today that she went to the boat yesterday and took out the heater unit to send back to the manufacturer for reconditioning.

Fingers crossed we get some proper heat back on board soon. The visits over the last few months have been a bit chilly.

Thanks for your ideas and contacts to sort it out.

I will report back when it's done.

Edited by rustydiver

• 2 weeks later...