nb Beech

Featured Posts

Ring any More bells Peter?!

post-5975-0-93832300-1454622894_thumb.jpg post-5975-0-32261600-1454622929_thumb.jpg

post-5975-0-50297700-1454622999_thumb.jpg post-5975-0-74899700-1454623051_thumb.jpg

post-5975-0-52540100-1454623221_thumb.jpg post-5975-0-02976200-1454623414_thumb.jpg

The lower cabin must have been mostly original to 1887, and opening the cupboard doors would show the bare steel hull and framing - no insulation at all. There were two cupboard beds below, a clothes rail over the gearbox, and an Elsan Bristol in its own cupboard. Access via the covered folding hatchway behind where Lou is sitting writing.

Yes, can't hear anything but bells ringing now, and that while Christmas has gone.

Thinking back some 43 years (as I looked at her around febr.'73), I think that there was a sort of séparation between the wheel and the living quarters of this fairly big wheelhouse.

Don't know if that was still the same when you owned her.

I liked her, but my wife (ex) didn't so whe didn't buy.

Thanks for the photos, they helped my memory.

Peter.

That's right. Better make this the last image - I think we've hijacked the BEECH thread enough!! blush.png

post-5975-0-25083600-1454664920_thumb.jpg

I took the door off its hinges as it took up too much space opening into the saloon. The engine and combined gear control can be seen just to the right of the wheel.

Small world! We exchanged with a young couple wanting to do camping boat holidays in France. They took her down on the Medway for some repairs and basic fitting out, then a few years later saw an ad for just the same sized vessel in Rouen. Might have been a different one though.

Very sorry to have hijacked the "Beech" thread, but that's often the case, caused by something one recognizes and without further thinking continuing on the discovery.

So I won't write anymore about it after this, I've never seen her around in France, but I'll keep my eyes and ears wide open, you'll never know.

Thanks again for your informations and photos.

Peter.

• 1 month later...

She is so pretty, it's true - I mentioned earlier in the post about the work that she requires immediately and I've no idea what that work would cost, and after that what budget should be set aside monthly in a "trust fund" for her upkeep... would there be enough left every month to keep a Bolinder?

If you really so attached to the Bolinder then nothing else comes close (we were privileged to ride on Mary's Bolinder powered Swan), otherwise I'd jump at a 2 cyl Samofa... and you could always swap it out later...

I had a quick google for Umea - it seems she's still much loved by Mr Bryan... if they divorced I guess it would be very expensive... It could be worth an email regarding a shared ownership scheme, and that would naturally then put you first in line to buy him out should he retire from the cut...

Sorry bolinder man threw & threw. Funds for any work and running / keeping the bolinder ant a problem its getting the right boat!

I have a very short list and the boats that fit it are getting fewer.

I was bought up on wooden boats with bolinders i work on peacock & play with other boats and still i cant get past the sound & smell of wooden boats with bolinders.

Umea & dane are at the top of the list. The cost wouldnt matter.

Then lilly & lapwing (lapwing now sold it was too much to convert back to put an offer in)

After that its any toc boat then any josher still with a wooden bottom.

I would always want to track down an acutaul bolinder that was previously fitted for a boat if i couldnt get the originals. Hence umea is at the top even if the money was silly i would have to try and take the chance.

I couldnt do a share i would want her. I cant get over umeas lines and dane well i was brought up on her.

Beech yes needs work but if i can get her at a reasonable price and find a bolinder ill be all over it.

• 2 weeks later...

If its old wooden and has an original or original type of engine fitted and still saveable (at a reasonable cost if its on its way south) or at a reasonable price im intrested apart from a very few saltley boats.

You are so right about wooden motors, Felt that way about Roger in about 1982 fortunately sanity prevailed otherwise she would be now gone .... couldn't have managed it . Saw her last year and very happy to see another survivor. Nearly ran the Dane down in braunston in about 86 . thaxteds headlight had failed and we were hammering through with the butty on cross straps. The oil light on the bow showed up Richards shiny door handles on the back cabin doors just in time . I think the bolinder may have been having a moment, or his headlight was out..( or I had a lot too much wound on)

Thats what i thought but my dad said he didnt know anything about it. So i have no idea if it is or the price in mind.

If anyone knows ill happy pass on my email on number to them so the owner can get in touch.

Edited by billybobbooth

Returning back from The Port after Easter and Tay had a "for sale" sign hanging from the back end rail, so presumably it's still available.

There may have been a phone number but didn't make a note of it. Maybe a local could give more info?

Dosnt tay have a diffrent engine to the one claytons replaced the bolinder with? I sort of hope tay would be out of my price range but beeing no / hardly any work needed strait off it maybe in the budget.

Unfortunately for beech if tay its in budget and for sale still beech wouldnt stand a chance againts tay.

Back to beech im hoping to go see her soon so my wife can decide if she likes her it will also be the decider for me as the back end is going to be my worry as the last pics i saw of the back end something just didnt look right was something about the counter but couldnt put my finger on it but the pics were in 2010 or 2012.

We will see im going to upset the wife tomorrow when she finds out about tay so please any info please pass it on.

Just found this so think tay still has it

No, I don't think so. I knew about Roger's, and the one which I fitted into the Thos Clayton 'gas' boat 'TAY', it's the one in King Arthur of which I was unaware. Roger may know of others?

Tim

Edited by Timleech, 10 May 2015 - 04:34 PM.

Engine is more than likley this engine (shame)

Edited by billybobbooth

I spent a lot of time with Tay and Tony Phillips when he bought her from Claytons in the 60s. In those days there was a single pot cold start Bolinder fitted, 9hp if I recall, perhaps the 1051 model. No starter fitted, a brisk crank on the starting handle and off it went. Hope this helps, I don't know what happened subsequently other than a major rebuild of the hull at Malkins Bank in the 90s. I last saw her at Anderton Marina a few years ago. Lots of memories!

Dave

Did tco pearl have the same type of engine fitted?

I wouldnt have thought a 1051 was powerfull enough to pull a loaded butty (never played with a 105 series engine so maybe more powerfull than i think)

This is the problem with history i guess.

Thanks for the info dave. Did it have electrics for the cabin ect or just for the running of the engine? Odd not to have a starter

Pearl was also in Gas St in those days, I used to stay on her at times. She had no engine then, I think it may have been a hot bulb Bolinder that had been removed, but I can't be sure.

Tay had simple electrics, just a cabin light and headlamp on a short stand for tunnels and night work, though how the battery was charged I can't remember, probably a dynamo powered by a pulley somewhere. There may have been a starter ring on the flywheel, but I only ever remember hand starting the engine.

Cheers

Dave

Did tco pearl have the same type of engine fitted?

Pearl was also in Gas St in those days, I used to stay on her at times. She had no engine then, I think it may have been a hot bulb Bolinder that had been removed, but I can't be sure.

Period photographs clearly show that PEARL had undergone an engine change by October 1963 as the exhaust position is on the opposite side of the pigeon box to a Bolinder semi-diesel. Roger Wickson claims in Waterways World magazine October 1979 page 66 that this was a cold start Bolinder, but does not state how many cylinders (I would suggest a 1051 or 1052).

PEARL attended a boat rally at Earlswood and was seen there for sale on 27 August 1967 - still unconverted and for sale but now fitted with a single cylinder Ruston.

Within a couple of years of the 1967 observation the Ruston was removed and replaced with a Dorman M4DSM, which itself was later replaced by a Lister SR3.

So who fitted the Ruston ?

Yes pearl and tay are the only 2 that i know of that had the engines replaced from semis to cold start diesels been doing some looking and the exhausts seam to sit just to the left (very small gap) and to the back a little of the pigeon box.

Tays was done fairly early the pearl shortly after i wonder if the engine broke down so they swapped them as around the time of the change they were starting to sell off boats quite quickly.

But the only pics of tay i can find after the engine swap was of her as a single motor but i have the read some of the loading papers and she did do some runs with a butty. Why i was asking if a 1051 was powerfull enought. May have been a struggle hence why she is pictured on her own bit like the 9 hp semis