nb Beech

Featured Posts

You could do it cheaper by just doing the bottoms and not replacing the chine planks and kelson but 5 years time youll be doing it all again as the holes in the planks will have gone rotten and the kelson would prob be ok as its just bolted but as the bottoms have gone next to it its better to replace it as youll prob find its starting to rott it.

Im really upset about it as ive always wanted a wooden fmc boat and its really annoying knowing i can never have one as there are only 3 fmc ones left. I know there are a few thomas clayton Uxbridge built boats left but its still really annoying!!!

Have to pray one come up.

Edited by billybobbooth

• 4 years later...

I'm bringing this thread back to life, as although I have commented I never fully read the earlier pages about drawing and CAD designing......

OK, so Beech is on dock at Langley Mill and is in a very sad way. Without delving into the past couple of years, the hull is very weak and the work needed runs to the following....

New bottoms

New stem post

New bow planks

At least two new midship planks

New chine planks

New top stern planks

Approx 40% of scarfe joints need blocks letting in.

New counter block

New cabin lining and panelling. 

There have been no prospective purchasers coming forward to fund restoration so we are at the unfortunate position of carefully dismantling her. This is not something we want to do nor proud of it. Every detail is being measured and documented for the future, and where we can we will re use and repurpose all the wood, and keep the ironwork as a complete set should she get a new lease of life in the future. We will produce full drawings for our records from the measurements.

Should anyone wish to visit she will be on dock here for the next few weeks as we work our way though and document and record. 

Kind regards

Dan 

20200823_175956.jpg

20200823_180019.jpg

20200824_142316.jpg

20200825_113120.jpg

Edited by stagedamager
  • Greenie 2
  • Sad 1

As you know I had a very high intrest in beech, and already arranged to come see her, I was one of the first to view her when she went up for sale 4+ years ago (my offer was rejected) she then sold last year for just over what I offered - the dock fees and money she had spend weeks before she sold my offer was bang on.

She was in the middle of being restored by Ken ward before he died, he did alot of work and also had bought a bolinder for her (my dads spare i always remember it sat in the garage) dad knew Ken quite well.

When ken died beech with bolinder went to a boat person, the boat was then sold engineless (I got told this by the buyer) (also know the bolinder was the purchase of beech) for around 10k who then put a gardener in on loan then later the current engine. The boat was then put up for sale 4-5 years ago.

The boat hasn't had much maintenance or work done sence ken died. This is why she's in such a poor state, rather than having work done as needed its just been covered up prob one of the worst things that can be done on a wooden boat.

Edited by billybobbooth
  • Greenie 1

If you take numerous digital photos, these should be able to be converted into a 3-D composite from which the lines of the boat can be taken. At least one of the boats at the Waterways Museum has had this done - the West Country Keel - so they may be able to advise further. By deciding to save the ironwork etc, you have made a positive start. Realistically, the cost of restoring and maintaining wooden boats puts the survival of all but a few virtually out of the question, but good recording would be able to help future researchers and historians. Best wishes, Mike.