Pumping out by hand

Joelsanders

Featured Posts

I only have experience of a pump out. Yesterday was the first time I've looked at an Elsan point. It's an experience I'd like to keep to a minimum.

I'm with you there Joel! There's a dog waste bin next to an elsan point near my mooring and, if it came down to it, I'd rather spend time in the dog bin!

Exactly

Just once in 8 years have I been reduced to this level on indignity, whilst I believe some boaters choose to do it a couple of times every week!

...............Dave

I'd suggest the point of a pump out & a bigger tank is that you have to deal with loo emptying less often than with the cassette option.

I'm trying to think of yesterday as a practical experience in character building and humility rather than outright humiliation / indignity.

In my land based days, I had unlimited water and unlimited toilet flushes. The same is true of gas & electricity . Consequently, I took those things for granted.

Part of the importance of this lifestyle is that these essentials are no longer limitless. They all require some effort and, for that, i appreciate them more. Engaging with these basics, unpleasant as it might sometimes be, makes me feel more alive and that's why I love boating. It's not for everyone but, for me, it's been a good thing.

My holding tank is about 400 lts and is under the bed. No, it doesn't smell at all.

However, I do get a bit of a pumpout list, (adjusted by moving a bag or two of coal) just before the warning light comes on.

Once the light is on, I start looking for a pumpout point or marina. I have gone two weeks with the light on

but I don't push it.

Rob....

400 litres is a huge tank. Mine is about 120, I think. Presumably ( if you are a solo boater ) you only need to pump out every couple of months ?

On the one occasion my tank got too full. It broke the non-return valve in the pipe work.

On a more practical note, how about a cheap rubber door wedge to jam it in with?

Hmm. That might do the trick y'know

You could just ask a passing looky loo if they would hold it in for you....they probably won't mind.[/quote

There's a thought.

Come to think of it, my hand pumpout was a rare boating experience where people did not stop to take my photo.

And thank God for that.

I'm with you there Joel! There's a dog waste bin next to an elsan point near my mooring and, if it came down to it, I'd rather spend time in the dog bin!

It's easier to dispose of dog poop than it is for a boater to dispose of his. That can't be right, surely?

Edited by Joelsanders

I thought CaRT specifically state you shouldn't pump out into Elsan disposal points, (even using a container) as nearly 100 litres at one go is too much for the system?

Not to my knowledge: the one at Cropredy has a Self Pump-out sign attached to the door of the disposal sluice. Perhaps some do and some don't.

Not to my knowledge: the one at Cropredy has a Self Pump-out sign attached to the door of the disposal sluice. Perhaps some do and some don't.

I know of a couple of private marinas with smaller elsan points which do not welcome self pumpouts. If it was forbidden across the board though, why would anyone buy or sell the kit?

i don't know much about elsans but am I right in thinking that some (private) get full and have to be emptied whilst most (public) are bottomless (contents direct to the sewer).

I know of a couple of private marinas with smaller elsan points which do not welcome self pumpouts. If it was forbidden across the board though, why would anyone buy or sell the kit?

i don't know much about elsans but am I right in thinking that some (private) get full and have to be emptied whilst most (public) are bottomless (contents direct to the sewer).

A 'Speed camera detector' is available for anyone to buy - Its not illegal to sell it, its not illegal to own it, its just illegal to use it. - (apparently illegal as a mate got in trouble from the Police for having one in his cab)

There is always someone daft enough to use either a speed camera detector or a pump-out toilet.

A 'Speed camera detector' is available for anyone to buy - Its not illegal to sell it, its not illegal to own it, its just illegal to use it. - (apparently illegal as a mate got in trouble from the Police for having one in his cab)

There is always someone daft enough to use either a speed camera detector or a pump-out toilet.

You can buy a manual pumpout at most chandlers though (including BWML ones which are owned by CRT).

Surely that's an endorsement of their validity ?

You can't buy a speed camera detector from Halfords or DVLC.

Ahh composting ... The under appreciated third way.

Compost loos are too new for my liking .

I don't trust them.

They occupy the same part of my brain as the zx81 and Betamax.

Edited by Joelsanders

I'd suggest the point of a pump out & a bigger tank is that you have to deal with loo emptying less often than with the cassette option.

I'm trying to think of yesterday as a practical experience in character building and humility rather than outright humiliation / indignity.

In my land based days, I had unlimited water and unlimited toilet flushes. The same is true of gas & electricity . Consequently, I took those things for granted.

Part of the importance of this lifestyle is that these essentials are no longer limitless. They all require some effort and, for that, i appreciate them more. Engaging with these basics, unpleasant as it might sometimes be, makes me feel more alive and that's why I love boating. It's not for everyone but, for me, it's been a good thing.

400 litres is a huge tank. Mine is about 120, I think. Presumably ( if you are a solo boater ) you only need to pump out every couple of months ?

On the one occasion my tank got too full. It broke the non-return valve in the pipe work.

Hmm. That might do the trick y'know

It's easier to dispose of dog poop than it is for a boater to dispose of his. That can't be right, surely?

Also no one would care if you dropped dog poop into an elsan. Try emptying your cassette into a dog poo bin though.

My holding tank is about 400 lts and is under the bed. No, it doesn't smell at all.

However, I do get a bit of a pumpout list, (adjusted by moving a bag or two of coal) just before the warning light comes on.

Once the light is on, I start looking for a pumpout point or marina. I have gone two weeks with the light on

but I don't push it.

Rob....

I have a similar size tank (390 litres). I recommend getting an MCS gauge fitted. Mine revealed that the red light comes on when the tank is halfway between half and three quarters full. I can now go almost twice the time between pump outs.

They are easy to fit. You give MCS the measurement of the depth of the tank and they supply the bits. You then cut a hole into the top of the tank, put in a rubber bung, push fit the sensor unit, cut a hole somewere for the gauge and connect the wires up. Took me less than an hour.

I have a similar size tank (390 litres). I recommend getting an MCS gauge fitted. Mine revealed that the red light comes on when the tank is halfway between half and three quarters full. I can now go almost twice the time between pump outs.

They are easy to fit. You give MCS the measurement of the depth of the tank and they supply the bits. You then cut a hole into the top of the tank, put in a rubber bung, push fit the sensor unit, cut a hole somewere for the gauge and connect the wires up. Took me less than an hour.

I have one actually. My light used to come on at around 3/4 full but recently - since I moved things around to stop my boat listing - it comes on much later.

I try not to let the light come on. I hate it when the light is on. The worst thing is, sometimes after pumping out, the light stays on. Even though I know the tank is empty, that little red LED troubles me way more than it should.

All that said, it's a useful gadget - much like the MCS fresh water tank gauge.

We have the kit ( came with boat ) but have yet to use it , Guy I bought the boat off used to apparently use it all the time so must be some Elsans that permit it . As with OP I think we would only use in an emergency . We had a cassete in our last boat and after regular elsan trips over serveral years I aint going back to that ..

could do with a bigger tank though ours is 215 lites which is about a 100 ltrs to small for my liking hence we keep chucking bacteria in each pump out to chomp up the solids so it we get max usage out of it gives us an extra week on average I reackon

We have the kit ( came with boat ) but have yet to use it , Guy I bought the boat off used to apparently use it all the time so must be some Elsans that permit it . As with OP I think we would only use in an emergency . We had a cassete in our last boat and after regular elsan trips over serveral years I aint going back to that ..

could do with a bigger tank though ours is 215 lites which is about a 100 ltrs to small for my liking hence we keep chucking bacteria in each pump out to chomp up the solids so it we get max usage out of it gives us an extra week on average I reackon

That's still a big tank, 10 back & forth fills of a 25 litre container. I'd be more reluctant if my tank was that size.

What bacteria do you use? Yeast? How much / how often and does it make a big difference ?

And one of the Braunston ones

whilst most (public) are bottomless (contents direct to the sewer).

No, far from it.

lol No much longer certainly less than twice 17 litres smile.png

Sorry - not following the logic of that :

1) Remove the cassette from the boat, walk up to the elsan point, empty cassette, walk back to boat, replace cassette, start engine. drive off.

2) Get pump-out pump out of storage, connect up inlet and outlet hose, pump out 20 litres into container, wash down end of pipe ( or just lie it on the deck / tow path), put lid on container, carry container up to the elsan point, empty container, walk back to boat, put pipe into container, pump out 20 litres into container, wash down end of pipe ( or just lie it on the deck / tow path), put lid on container, carry container up to the elsan point, empty container............................... repeat another 5 times.

I wonder which will take the longest time.

Our boat had three (3) pump-out toilets / sea toilets, We have removed one and making a large shower room, will be removing another and installing a cassette and leaving the 3rd for use at sea.

Pump-out tank is 175 litres which is not big enough - it is designed as a 'whilst in harbour' usage, which we can then pump-out at sea.

Sorry - not following the logic of that :

1) Remove the cassette from the boat, walk up to the elsan point, empty cassette, walk back to boat, replace cassette, start engine. drive off.

2) Get pump-out pump out of storage, connect up inlet and outlet hose, pump out 20 litres into container, wash down end of pipe ( or just lie it on the deck / tow path), put lid on container, carry container up to the elsan point, empty container, walk back to boat, put pipe into container, pump out 20 litres into container, wash down end of pipe ( or just lie it on the deck / tow path), put lid on container, carry container up to the elsan point, empty container............................... repeat another 5 times.

I wonder which will take the longest time.

Our boat had three (3) pump-out toilets / sea toilets, We have removed one and making a large shower room, will be removing another and installing a cassette and leaving the 3rd for use at sea.

Pump-out tank is 175 litres which is not big enough - it is designed as a 'whilst in harbour' usage, which we can then pump-out at sea.

I never pumped out to containers, that to me is crazy. Always pumped straight to the dump point.

lol Sounds like the tank I had on the ketch lol always glad to get to open sea.

I never pumped out to containers, that to me is crazy. Always pumped straight to the dump point.

lol Sounds like the tank I had on the ketch lol always glad to get to open sea.

Unless I get a much longer hose, my 60 ft narrowboat will not be pumping out at sea