Trojan T-105 battery charging tips

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Its not a multi meter, its just a beautiful little £3 digital volts gauge with nice blue digits display on which I've put a plug and its permanently plugged it into a 12v cabin socket. My multimeter does confirm its readings.

Ive got a red one, the other wek it went up to 26 volts, I thought that's handy, I've been watching telly all evening and the batteries are charging themselves

As a novice, may I just note that nowhere in the e-mails quoted by Graham was there any mention of ambient/battery temperatures for the charge voltages given.

I would suggest that the voltages given were for an ambient/battery temperature of 25° C, a temperature we rareley see in this country.

My Victron batteries are advised to be charged at 28.8 v but I regularly see that the Victon charger (correctly set for the type of battery and temperature sensor) charges them at 29.2v

Just observations.

Well all this hi-tech talk has put me off Trojans for good.

They appear to require fastidious regimes & all kinds of wonderous devices

to maintain them in fine fettle.

Fank gawd for fork lift batteries.

They seem far less fussy.

Or maybe thats a reflection of the owners?

Au contraire. You can almost do what you like with them. All the arguments weren't really necessary. I see Tommy has gone to sleep too!

Many times you'll find that fork lift batteries ARE T105s ?

It's actually pretty simple but we have one member that likes to argue, scaremonger and attempt to point-score on any electrical subject. Shame really.

Tony

Was it art school?

<sorry, couldn't resist!>

My wife, an ex professional singer, comments whenever I sing a song "You should have been on the stage, Tony. Sweeping it!"

Observations that are absolutely correct.

And which have been repeatedly pointed out to the troll.

Au contraire. You can almost do what you like with them. All the arguments weren't really necessary. I see Tommy has gone to sleep too!

Tommy's probably exhausted with it all, taken to his bed in a darkened room, listening to either U2 or 'The Electric light bulb orchestra'.

Edited by bizzard

Where are you buying your fork lift batteries then??

Tommy's probably exhausted with it all, taken to his bed in a darkened room, listening to either U2 or 'The Electric light bulb orchestra'.

Or like me, installed gas lights...

As a novice, may I just note that nowhere in the e-mails quoted by Graham was there any mention of ambient/battery temperatures for the charge voltages given.

I would suggest that the voltages given were for an ambient/battery temperature of 25° C, a temperature we rareley see in this country.

My Victron batteries are advised to be charged at 28.8 v but I regularly see that the Victon charger (correctly set for the type of battery and temperature sensor) charges them at 29.2v

Just observations.

If as I suspect your Victron charger has a temperature probe which has been attached to one of the battery posts then it will be sensing the battery temperature. If it does not then it would concern me unless the charger is programmed to do a pseudo equalisation.

As for 25C being rare in this country, unfortunately you are correct. However it is not the ambient temperature that is being quoted for batteries but the temperature of the electrolyte in the battery. Now most batteries are installed in the engine room or under the floor with the engine, from personal experience temperatures in those areas when the engine is running can equal or exceed 25C. On my boat in the winter we leave the engine room door open so the lovely warmth reaches the helm and keeps them warm.

We're they suffering from a manufacturing fault?

Can't answer that question, all I know is they replaced a battery bank of 9 month old batteries with new. The story I was given was one had a fault and had pulled the rest down. What the truth was I do not know except the bank was not holding charge properly and they were replaced.

Lets put it this way, you put yourselves forward as experts on the subject, competent people, people who should know and therefore accept liability for what you write/say even if you do not get paid.

So you won't guarantee your advice then?

I see the children have been playing :)

Perhaps I would have been impressed if question would they guarantee their advice had been answered. It appears the answer is no.

It makes me sad that in a community the real boaters help each other, I know because I have been helped and helped other face to face not from a keyboard. Yet on this forum there was apparently not one boater who would get on their bike, or in their car or even walk to help the OP, sad.

.1. What is the lowest voltage at which a fully charged Lead Acid battery will gas. Depends what you are referring to by the term “will gas”. While batteries have a charge they produce gas, it is a produce of the chemical reaction and not normally visible. If you are talking about visible bubbles in the electrolyte that depends on the plate material.

2. Why do knackered lead acid batteries have the same fully charged voltage as new batteries? (This one is easy) They don’t, depends on why the battery is knackered. But I suspect the answer you want is so long as the electrolyte is OK then the chemical reaction is the same.

3. Why does a lead acid battery's voltage decrease as it discharges? (This one sounds obvious but It isn't. Trust me). It is related to the production of sulphate and acid moving from the electrolyte to the plates during discharge, the higher discharge current the faster this happens the greater the volt drop because of the higher the internal resistance.

Edited by Graham.m