Trojan T-105 battery charging tips

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

I meant technically, how can a manufacturer construct a battery whose capacity grows after delivery?

Perhaps they coat the plates with some kind of slightly porous laquer that the electrolyte can only seep through gently at first, then as the laquer gradually wears off, then after 75 cycles, ''so someone said'' the plates start getting their full dose.

I meant technically, how can a manufacturer construct a battery whose capacity grows after delivery?

:) Sorry Mike misunderstood. Sorry you asked :) Have a read of this think it will give you an idea https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwis_6yl1IjKAhVJORQKHYAgA6UQFggyMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digatron.com%2Ffileadmin%2Fpdf%2Flead_acid.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEB-Ntdyj6uM0IxtvZPwJ74UD3_2g&bvm=bv.110151844,d.ZWU

That sounds to me as a plumber, rather unlikely. How can that happen?

I can't see how that could be the case. I think it's far more likely that they're just a bit sulphated from storage and it takes a while to shift that.

Probably fairly stratified too, and that might take a while to sort as well without some prolonged high voltage equalisation.

I can't see how that could be the case. I think it's far more likely that they're just a bit sulphated from storage and it takes a while to shift that.

Probably fairly stratified too, and that might take a while to sort as well without some prolonged high voltage equalisation.

Have you ever asked Trojan, maybe you should have

To: *********.com
Subject: Trojan Battery Contact
Date: ************
Hi,
Our T105 is rated at 225 amp hours. This is the 20 hour rating. The recommended charge voltage is 2.45 volts per cell or 14.8 volts for a 12 volt system. It takes about 75 cycles for our flooded batteries to reach their peak performance (capacity) but brand new batteries should provide around 70% of their peak capacity. For the T105, 70% of peak is about 168 amp hours.
Please let me know if you have other questions.
Have a Happy New Year,
Technical Support Engineer
Trojan Battery Company
Edited by Graham.m

Perhaps they coat the plates with some kind of slightly porous laquer that the electrolyte can only seep through gently at first, then as the laquer gradually wears off, then after 75 cycles, ''so someone said'' the plates start getting their full dose.

I still haven't got anything on, well apart from my underpants, which people recommend, and my battery is still holding steady at 12.9v

I still haven't got anything on, well apart from my underpants, which people recommend, and my battery is still holding steady at 12.9v

I get my batteries from 'Shield' their factory and shop is just up the road from me. I ask for a dry charged one and watch them fill it, I then trickle charge for hours before installing and putting them into service.

All good stuff. All I can say is that this is the first time i've ever had batteries that were twice as good as new, over a year later!

That has to be a result.

Glad you had the facilities to support them, however I don't think they are twice as good as new :) Twice as good suggests 336Ah capacity surely not?

Glad you had the facilities to support them, however I don't think they are twice as good as new smile.png Twice as good suggests 336Ah capacity surely not?

That assumes that the original 70% was right. I dunno how that relates to mine - I always assumed that a LA battery was fully charged once it gets its first fill at the factory.

They seem loads better anyway, more than just 'noticeable', by a long shot.

That assumes that the original 70% was right. I dunno how that relates to mine - I always assumed that a LA battery was fully charged once it gets its first fill at the factory.

They seem loads better anyway, more than just 'noticeable', by a long shot.

??? LA battery ?????

Oh if they are Trojan's I have no reason not to believe that the 70% was right

Edited by Graham.m

Probably fairly stratified too, and that might take a while to sort as well without some prolonged high voltage equali

I feel that is wrong to use high voltage on the Op's batteries even Trojan say 14.8V. Hitting those batteries with hours of high voltage charging might not be good for them. The manufacturer does not seem to think new batteries should be so treated

I feel that is wrong to use high voltage on the Op's batteries even Trojan say 14.8V. Hitting those batteries with hours of high voltage charging might not be good for them. The manufacturer does not seem to think new batteries should be so treated

Trojan's own charge curve include 16V, at the end of a charge, as being within limits.

Trojan's own charge curve include 16V, at the end of a charge, as being within limits.

They most certainly do. And an extra 50mV per cell (15.1v vs 14.8V) is hardly thraping them.

Tony

I think excuses are being made, maybe just do as the manufacturers recommend might be the best way

Think you will find it is not 50mV per cell but per battery and that depends on the electrolyte temperature and if it is gassing I doubt the electrolyte temp will be low.

Edited by Graham.m

Following a manufacturer's own charging curves seems pretty much like doing as they recommend. To me, anyway.

Agreed 100%. Nowhere have I seen any Trojan advice for "Charging T105s off-grid from a generator". As their own charging curves go up to 16V and you're staying 6% below that I don't see a problem. Geez, it's not that long ago that we used to charge at 17V to give the batteries a damned good stir.

Batteries will gas at anything above 13.5V depending on the circumstances so carry on, corporal.

Following a manufacturer's own charging curves seems pretty much like doing as they recommend. To me, anyway.

I don't know what curve you are looking at, but maybe the guy who wrote the email knows a thing or two about looking after Trojan batteries

Agreed 100%. Nowhere have I seen any Trojan advice for "Charging T105s off-grid from a generator". As their own charging curves go up to 16V and you're staying 6% below that I don't see a problem. Geez, it's not that long ago that we used to charge at 17V to give the batteries a damned good stir.

Batteries will gas at anything above 13.5V depending on the circumstances

Interesting and maybe that was why batteries did not have long lives

mmmm Now you claim gassing at 13.5V on a modern battery. Perhaps you could tell us more?

Edited by Graham.m

I think that chart only shows that voltage for the last bit of the charge not the whole charge at low current thus low power

Perhaps you should look at this document rather than relying on a line or two from a salesman. http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

Anyway, do you have any evidence at all for what you are saying, or are you just making it up as usual? The only consequence of a slightly high mid-point charging voltage will be a slight increase in water usage, and anyway as I said earlier these voltages are all subject to a temperature co-efficient and thus the voltage needs to be significant higher for cold batteries. 15.1v at say 5C is equivalent to less than 14.7v at the nominal temperature.

Edited by nicknorman

.. and if it is gassing I doubt the electrolyte temp will be low.

Once again you are pontificating [apparently] without knowledge or experience. Gassing evolves virtually no heat and (with my battery temperature sensor at electrolyte level) I see no detectable temperature increase (ie less than 1C) with gassing. I really really do wish you wouldn't keep typing rubbish about stuff you [apparently] don't understand. We just have to keep refuting it again and again and it all gets very tiresome for everyone except you, who seems to just like the sound of your own (metaphorical) voice regardless of whether sense or nonsense. I do believe you enjoy typing random stuff just to wind us up, easy for you because we care about fact and truth and you [apparently] don't.

Edited by DHutch

Jusy lit a candle so I can sea to type. I've still gott nothingg on and my £3 voltmeater is still shewing a stedy 12.9v. I flicked an LED lighr on for a split secind and it sank to 12.8v,''what a wast'' but has since recovvered to 12.9v.