First Time with New Boat

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I have posted a few times elsewhere since I joined last week but on Friday I shall go boating on my own boat for the first time. I have bought Vulpes, a 35' tug that has spent 47 years in the Midlands and has had owners that are well known in these parts.

On Friday I shall start to move from Ashwood on the Staffs & Worcs Canal to Netherwich Basin in Droitwich where I have a mooring. The first leg this weekend will be to Hawne Basin. I have assistance from Pegg Sr on Friday and Pegg Jr on Saturday and Sunday.

A simple phone call to Stourbridge Bonded Warehouse and Withymoor Island Trust has got two nights of secure mooring and an invite to an Xmas party! Turns out a former owner was the president at Withymoor. Really great to speak to helpful friendly folk who know the boat and its former owner(s).

Hope I can do justice to the boat and those who cared for it in the past.

Jon

Edited by Captain Pegg

Thanks for comments all.

Hopefully I can get a decent photo or two at the weekend and post them Junior. Had a similar request elsewhere on the forum. Will just miss seeing Halsall on it's trip in to Brum as I am stopping a few miles short of the Main Line this weekend. Looks great loaded up in the photos.

JP

Too true , I'd not owned Halsall for 24 hours when I had to grap my OH by his coat to stop him falling in the cut.

Project and I came home alone and it was an uneventful journey . We met up with dear friends which is always good.

Don't think I will be at the basin this weekend but if Ian I will look out for you Captain Pegg.

Thanks for further encouragement and advice

Make sure you have a goodly-sized bottle of Bollinger '88 with you, and some nice glasses!

The first trip will be fuelled by tea as it involves cars at both ends but that did make me think I could charge a hip flask for the cold, wet and windy weather forecast for Saturday. And Saturday will end very close to the Old Swan in Netherton providing I can handle the boat well enough. I did manage a two hour trial without making a total a@%e of it.

JP

The first trip will be fuelled by tea as it involves cars at both ends but that did make me think I could charge a hip flask for the cold, wet and windy weather forecast for Saturday. And Saturday will end very close to the Old Swan in Netherton providing I can handle the boat well enough. I did manage a two hour trial without making a total a@%e of it.

JP

You only need another two hours and you'll then be as good as most boaters, IMHO.

Watch the winds this weekend, looks like it could get blowy again!!

It is I'm sitting it out in 40+mph...

JP

Hope you got where your going before this lot struck..

Everything went OK. No major dramas. The boat is now safely moored until next weekend and I am back at home.

The wind didn't get up until later in the day yesterday but it was blowing pretty hard by the time I moored up at Withymoor just before 1630.

Engine, stove and water heater all working fine.

We had a great trip in spite of the weather. Didn't see another boat moving during 13 hours of cruising. Friday was beautiful - photos below (hopefully).

Edit to say they were there but all at different orientations so will have another go and see if I can workout why. Posting from iPad which I don't think helps.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg