Bolt Cutters ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

I have a variety of cutters, from full blown bolt croppers through to side cutters and old scissors (prepared for most eventualities!).

For nearly everything that won't yield to a decent pair of side cutters, I use Knipex compact bolt cutters - excellent leverage and hard blades:

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=1473

Chris G:

I have a variety of cutters, from full blown bolt croppers through to side cutters and old scissors (prepared for most eventualities!).

For nearly everything that won't yield to a decent pair of side cutters, I use Knipex compact bolt cutters - excellent leverage and hard blades:

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=1473

Chris G:

Thanks for the link Chris I guess we will be needing a few choppers and a good bread knife then.

I am not looking forward to putting my hand around a prop not knowing what part of a dead animal I might be touching :-(

I've read some horrid stuff.

Thanks for the link Chris I guess we will be needing a few choppers and a good bread knife then.

If you are going to have to buy a "good Bread Knife" a cheap pruning saw might be worth considering.

http://www.diy.com/departments/verve-pruning-saw/291220_BQ.prd?gclid=CLGridXwqMkCFdQ_GwodJUcNYg&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA291220_BQ&ef_id=VjET@QAAAVGlVSnu:20151124104535:s

Bloody hell that looks lethal, great idea thanks Jerra.

What would I do without CWDF. :-)

Bloody hell that looks lethal, great idea thanks Jerra.

What would I do without CWDF. :-)

They have a "set" (outward twist) in the teeth for cutting wet wood and are sharper than a bread knife. They also have the advantage of folding to protect the teeth (and you).

I would go for (I have them on the boat anyway) a pruning saw and a Stanley knife in addition to various cutters - things like rubber sheet and bundles of clothes need something really sharp to cut them.

Chris G

I'd second the pruning saw suggestion, but you might want to get one with smaller teeth than ones with big deep teeth designed for cutting green wood, these tend to get stuck in the kind of crap you might need to cut off. Yes I've got both types, that's how I know ;-)

I'd second the pruning saw suggestion, but you might want to get one with smaller teeth than ones with big deep teeth designed for cutting green wood, these tend to get stuck in the kind of crap you might need to cut off. Yes I've got both types, that's how I know ;-)

I know what you mean but (being pedantic) surely all pruning is cutting green wood at least that is what I have been told by horticulturists.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-android-samsung&hl=en-GB&oe=utf-8&safe=images&q=hydraulic+bolt+croppers&source=android-browser-type&qsubts=1448364485327#imgrc=Q30UjzuVsb_c2M%3A

In the fire service we used to use a hydraulic cutter like in the link, no handles restricting access to tight spaces as you get with a weed hatch.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I know what you mean but (being pedantic) surely all pruning is cutting green wood at least that is what I have been told by horticulturists.

I think you know exactly what I meant -- some pruning saws have small regular teeth (usually cut on pull only), some have the big "W" shaped deep teeth (often cut both ways) -- these cut bigger diameter soft green wood faster but also jam much more easily when cutting other stuff.

Talking of tools for weed hatches I also keep a length of cord to tie to the tool just in case I let go. I also have the keys in my pocket when I am down the weed hatch.

I think you know exactly what I meant -- some pruning saws have small regular teeth (usually cut on pull only), some have the big "W" shaped deep teeth (often cut both ways) -- these cut bigger diameter soft green wood faster but also jam much more easily when cutting other stuff.

As I said I know what you mean and I did say I was being pedantic - sorry.

Some years ago I bought a "bargain" pair of bolt cutters only to find they don't fit down the weed hatch when opened, total waste of money.

What has worked well is a patio weed knife sharpened on all edges attatched to a broom handle, often I can clear the prop without getting my hands wet. Obviously no good on wire for that I have wire cutters and a junior hacksaws one conventional one bent so the blade is at 90 degrees to normal. All have a piece of string attatched . So far those tools have handled everything I've picked up, including a mattress (picked up while passing a mattress factory ), yards and yards of cable armouring and good old fashioned weed.

Top Cat

Yes Slim what I meant was what sort of length average can you use to make the job easy.

My dads just bought these 30" they are pretty heavy duty jobbys.

From this and other posts the best think you can do is take your dads credit card away until after he has a boat.

Unless you are really unlucky you wont need bolt croppers very often. Ive used them twice in 8 years, and we do over 1000 miles a year.

Most stuff can be patiently untangled by working out how it went on and turning the prop the opposite way as you manouver the stuff off.

A good pair of scissors (on a string) will get through a lot of suff, so that just leaves the "wire pulled tight" thing. In this case the biggest pair of bolt croppers that you can get down the weedhatch and still get open is required. This depends on the size of the weedhatch and how deep down the prop is.

A hacksaw is good too but its surprisigly tricky to saw down a weedhatch.

A quick blast of reverse will get 90% of stuff off the prop.

................Dave

Unless you are really unlucky you wont need bolt croppers very often. Ive used them twice in 8 years, and we do over 1000 miles a year.

Most stuff can be patiently untangled by working out how it went on and turning the prop the opposite way as you manouver the stuff off.

A good pair of scissors (on a string) will get through a lot of suff, so that just leaves the "wire pulled tight" thing. In this case the biggest pair of bolt croppers that you can get down the weedhatch and still get open is required. This depends on the size of the weedhatch and how deep down the prop is.

A hacksaw is good too but its surprisigly tricky to saw down a weedhatch.

A quick blast of reverse will get 90% of stuff off the prop.

................Dave

Kiss of death as I am heading to Stoke, I have never used my bolt croppers,that is in over 20 years of boating including when we had a share boat, 14 on this one.