Basic stove use

Pennie

Featured Posts

Its only to heat the hot water, not radiators so should work out well enough.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your review Mike.

You can all feel less sorry for me now ^_^ the boat is back up to 18 oC, over 20 at one point but I think that only happened because of heat generated from cooking. Last night was an experience I don't want to experience again in a long time.

Thanks you for all you advice guys, you're all champs :-)

Its only to heat the hot water, not radiators so should work out well enough.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your review Mike.

You can all feel less sorry for me now happy.png the boat is back up to 18 oC, over 20 at one point but I think that only happened because of heat generated from cooking. Last night was an experience I don't want to experience again in a long time.

Thanks you for all you advice guys, you're all champs :-)

Last night you probably had the freezing strong wind blasting at the boat and whistling through vents. Tonight is a lot calmer.

... and have put the CO monitor right near the stove at waist height.

Pennie, I have followed this thread with massive sympathy and wish I could help you.

My only contribution is that you should MOVE your CO monitor to your bedroom, at pillow height. That is what will be important to you if there's CO floating about. Then, the alarm will tear you out of your skin, if it's right next to you.

The alarm being next to the stove might not detect rising (hot) CO, while it passes by overhead the alarm unit. It then cools and mixes with the normal air - and will then find its way to your bedroom unannounced.

Seriously Penny, get that alarm close to where you sleep.

Good luck and keep warm safely.

I'd check with Eddie because the back boilers on the old original Boatman stoves were a welded in tank, welded in at the top area of the back plate using the stoves back panel and top plate as the back and tank top sides, ok, but the full heat of the fire can't completely surround the tank like that, just the bottom and front face of it which would cut its efficiency down by about 30% or so and so struggle to heat perhaps even just one radiator. A proper back boiler should be placed with a passage all around and behind it too, you then have three sides plus the ends and a bit of its top presented to the full fire's heat for best efficiency.

Perhaps Eddie now does this on his latest stoves, I don't know.

Think mine is the same on my new style Boatman (12months old), but the backboiler can easily reach boiling point with a rather large rad and cylinder, I have no doubt it could run a couple more rads easily.

Think mine is the same on my new style Boatman (12months old), but the backboiler can easily reach boiling point with a rather large rad and cylinder, I have no doubt it could run a couple more rads easily.

That's good, but I am surprised.

Hi Pennie- Sometimes you just have to make an investment.

This weekend on our boat has been great! Cold outside, Boatman with back boiler heating rad in bathroom & fin rad under bedroom gunwhale & piping to the expansion tank at the stern. Nice & warm. We had ours professionally installed & the key I am told is

the elevation / level of the piping etc (cannot offer any more tech than that but it works a treat).

I was sat listening to music with a glass of red with Missus Sonic. No TV, just bliss.

Get a new one. It will be worth it as a stove on a boat should be too hot to touch with the ickle eco fan spinning like a good un as MTB stated.

Boatman stove gets a vote from me, especially now Eddie has upped the spec again.

Our boat is 40ft btw with stove in the middle. We get 20 degrees+ easily.

Sorry been asleep most of the day catching up on what I missed that awfully cold night. Have put the alarm on a shelf above the stove for now and will take it to bed with me, my new sleeping companion :-)

Excellent. I'm assuming from the lack of contradiction here, that you've made a wise move. Hope you get warm. It should be several degrees warmer from tomorrow, for a week or so.

Sorry been asleep most of the day catching up on what I missed that awfully cold night. Have put the alarm on a shelf above the stove for now and will take it to bed with me, my new sleeping companion :-)

Frankly, that's plain daft. If you only have one CO detector, it needs to be where you sleep.

Unless you have been sleeping on the shelf above the stove today :)

Putting it where you sleep is critically important. I know a boater who was rescued by a neighbour in the middle of the night. His CO alarm was sounding in the saloon but he didn't hear it after a heavy night in the pub. The neighbour was actually woken up by it at 3am and they got up to investigate!!

Frankly, that's plain daft. If you only have one CO detector, it needs to be where you sleep.

Unless you have been sleeping on the shelf above the stove today smile.png

Putting it where you sleep is critically important. I know a boater who was rescued by a neighbour in the middle of the night. His CO alarm was sounding in the saloon but he didn't hear it after a heavy night in the pub. The neighbour was actually woken up by it at 3am and they got up to investigate!!

Yes, agreed. I missed that bit (I was just happy that she is at least going to sleep with it).

Pennie, screw it to your bedroom wall at pillow height.

At least someone else seems to have been a bit concerned for Pennie's welfare (MtB)

Pennie does say she will also take it to bed with her! I took that to mean she'd move it at sleepy times.

That's not enough. If she gets on the sauce or the aromatic baccy, she might forget.

Pennie, screw the 'cker to the wall!

All cabins with a fuel burning appliance should have a CO alarm fitted

If fuel burning appliances, generators or engines are used whilst people sleep, all sleeping quarters will need their own alarms

If the boat has a single multi-use cabin, one alarm is OK

not-above-heat-steam_252x69.jpg

For the best protection, follow the alarm manufacturer's installation instructions as far as the space and nature of the boat allow

But if the placement directions are difficult to meet on your boat, these are the 'best practice' points

Try to place the alarm:

• in living quarters between 1m and 3m (on plan view) from the appliance
  • in living quarters fix alarms high up on a wall, but at least 150mm from the ceiling and where the indicator lights can be seen
  • in sleeping quarters have the alarm in the "breathing zone", i.e. near the bed head
  • before fixing, test that you can hear an alarm from any position in the boat (or buy an additional alarm)bss-graphics-pg-12a.png

And if anyone is showing these symptoms, considering getting medical help mentioning your concerns about potential CO.

You should also deal with any potential sources of CO, - stoves with faults, chimneys with damage or deterioration, burners showing weak, floppy yellow flames - and don't delay. Dealing with CO is not an issue to put off. At low levels it can affect health, at medium to high levels it can kill (dogs and cats too).

bss-graphics-pg-4b.png

All cabins with a fuel burning appliance should have a CO alarm fitted

If fuel burning appliances, generators or engines are used whilst people sleep, all sleeping quarters will need their own alarms

If the boat has a single multi-use cabin, one alarm is OK

not-above-heat-steam_252x69.jpg

For the best protection, follow the alarm manufacturer's installation instructions as far as the space and nature of the boat allow

But if the placement directions are difficult to meet on your boat, these are the 'best practice' points

Try to place the alarm:

• in living quarters between 1m and 3m (on plan view) from the appliance
  • in living quarters fix alarms high up on a wall, but at least 150mm from the ceiling and where the indicator lights can be seen
  • in sleeping quarters have the alarm in the "breathing zone", i.e. near the bed head
  • before fixing, test that you can hear an alarm from any position in the boat (or buy an additional alarm)

And if anyone is showing these symptoms, considering getting medical help mentioning your concerns about potential CO.

You should also deal with any potential sources of CO, - stoves with faults, chimneys with damage or deterioration, burners showing weak, floppy yellow flames - and don't delay. Dealing with CO is not an issue to put off. At low levels it can affect health, at medium to high levels it can kill (dogs and cats too).

Nice timely piece of advice, Rob. We have one in each sleeping cabin at head height.

The one time that both of them went off in the night was when our guest innocently placed our BBQ (Which LOOKED like it had gone out) in the cratch area, with the front doors closed for the night. Both CO alarms went off at about 0300, several hours after the BBQ was cold.

It was only after googling CO causes that the penny dropped. BBQs were listed as the worst offenders. The boat was opened up end to end and the offending BBQ booted out onto the cabin top and back to sleep when the alarms stopped a while later.

Penny, good advice from the BSS man.

Have you put it in your bedroom and left it there, yet?

We got a CO2 alarm when we had our new Rayburn fitted at home. We kept it in the kitchen on the window ledge a couple of feet away from the cooker, and checked it frequently. It never registered anything but nought for a whole year. Now it lives in a drawer in the utility room, as we could see no point in keeping it where it was. We always have a window open in the kitchen anyway.

Its now in the bedroom and it'll be staying there. Love the term "aromatic baccy" that made me chuckle, haven't heard that one before. Can't part-take in drinking atm as I must focus on my studies and keep my mind focused. So going to the pub after the deadline! Its a new local too so I many new things to try (I hope) :D

We got a CO2 alarm when we had our new Rayburn fitted at home. We kept it in the kitchen on the window ledge a couple of feet away from the cooker, and checked it frequently. It never registered anything but nought for a whole year. Now it lives in a drawer in the utility room, as we could see no point in keeping it where it was. We always have a window open in the kitchen anyway.

Maybe because you put it in the wrong place to start with, on a window ledge with a window always open. It may have picked up the lawn mower going by at some point.

Its now in the bedroom and it'll be staying there. Love the term "aromatic baccy" that made me chuckle, haven't heard that one before. Can't part-take in drinking atm as I must focus on my studies and keep my mind focused. So going to the pub after the deadline! Its a new local too so I many new things to try (I hope) biggrin.png

Excellent. Enjoy your pint and sleep soundly.

If that alarm ever DOES go off, don't ignore it and think it's a false alarm! You'd be gambling your life and you WON'T know you're being poisoned until you start throwing up. XXX

I am starting to think its just a useless stove.

Maybe time to spend a lump of money.

Most boaters would have nothing but a Morso Squirrel, but a few of us think a well made welded seel stove is better.

Search this forum, have a look at the Boatman stove, be careful with ecentric hand made stoves, they might be all looks and no heat...its takes a bit of learning and experience to make a good one.

...................Dave

We have steel multifuel. I can't fpr the l;ife of me, remember the maker's name. I was pleased that it is steel when I asked the local baotyard to weld lugs on the feet so that I could bolt it down.

Regarding its controllability. It is superb! It is so airtight that we can put it out just by shutting all the draughts.