Boat collection and delivery

Tammy and mo

Featured Posts

My husband and I would like to offer our services of moving your boats. We have a share in a narrow boat and have done several collections and we don't charge. All we ask is that fuel is provided and we can use the time it takes to get your boat from A to B to have a short break aboard. We are based in the Midlands but some travel to collect the boat should be fine.

What level of insurance cover do you have?

Doesn't one's own insurance cover others who are steering too? I really don't know, but if no money is exchanging hands and moving the boat isn't being done for commercial profit, then for insurance purposes wouldn't it be the same as lending the boat to friends?

Doesn't one's own insurance cover others who are steering too? I really don't know, but if no money is exchanging hands and moving the boat isn't being done for commercial profit, then for insurance purposes wouldn't it be the same as lending the boat to friends?

Except they're not friends. So its not the same.

Probably... I've made pretty much this same point recently in another topic, and not got an answer, which suggests to me that so long as no money changes hands, a typical insurance policy would cover the OP's proposed arrangement. My main doubt would be whether a policy imposes conditions on who the boat may be lent to if the owner is not aboard; I'm not sure how "friends" could be accurately defined! However the absence of replies may just suggest that everyone reading the topic felt that they had something more exciting to do than carefully reading all the small print of their boat insurance policy.

I was given a choice on the application form (and in each renewal). I could tick to say either that I wanted my insurance to cover me on any boat or that anyone using my boat with my permission, would be covered. My daughter often uses the boat so I picked the second.

Frank.

Thanks frahkn, that sheds a bit of light on the subject and makes sense, in that underwriters might well see lending a boat as an extra risk needing a higher premium, rather like insuring a car for any driver. The latter is not an exact analogy of course, because car drivers have to have passed a test.

It is a minefield and every boat, situation will be different, the only answer is to ask your own insurance, if you wish to take the risk or the OP have their own insurance with proof of what or what not it may cover.

My insurance states :

Section I – General Conditions that apply to the whole Policy

1 You must comply with all of the following conditions:

1.1 If You give permission for someone else to be in charge of the Vessel, You must take steps to ensure that they have experience to do so.

1.2 The Vessel must not be navigated single-handed by anyone for a period in excess of 18 consecutive hours.

It is your responsibility to define "suitable experience", but hopefully your definition and the insurance co's definition will not be at odds.

Tammy and mo: You sound like you're genuine but I think you'll face an issue of trust at first, rather like someone starting out on eBay.

Since I began crewing for people other than my brother six months ago, I've crewed for four people, none of whom I'd met before I appeared at the boat, but I had two big advantages in getting invited aboard; I'd already been around on the forum for a while, and these people were going to be on the boat themselves (with the exception of paulmeds when he fell in at Kidlington).

Perhaps those that try to make a living delivering boats, and there are some on this forum, would club together and send you some Sunday lunch tomorrow, oh! and what about your dog, would you like them to feed that too!

Your taking away the bread and butter of those that have far more experience than you. They also pay national insurance, work insurances and taxes where appropriate too.

And what if you break down, or have another problem, are you gonna sort that out like the professional will, using a well tried network of fellow professional boaters or are you going to call out CRR?

By all means do it, but don't advertise it in front of there faces on here!

It's not like me to have a rant on here but I felt it was needed!

Nipper

Perhaps those that try to make a living delivering boats, and there are some on this forum, would club together and send you some Sunday lunch tomorrow, oh! and what about your dog, would you like them to feed that too!

Your taking away the bread and butter of those that have far more experience than you. They also pay national insurance, work insurances and taxes where appropriate too.

And what if you break down, or have another problem, are you gonna sort that out like the professional will, using a well tried network of fellow professional boaters or are you going to call out CRR?

Nipper

Surely, anyone who is in the same business, is in competition with the couple of people on the forum who are known to move boats? The customer is free to choose the level of service, including amount of insurance, assurance in breakdown/other situations, etc

Yes, Ii understand where your coming from, but what your doing is totally undercutting all those in the delivery business!

I had the very same in my business, in the end i just had to give up because i was continually being undercut by retired people with no insurances, including Public Liability, not much experience, but they liked the idea, then making complete hash of things, then coming cap in hand for information and help!!

All work has some experience involved. Experience that you don't get taught, but has been learned in a lifetime of doing that work.

As i said, carry on, but please don't rub the professionals noses in the dirt whilst your doing it!

Be quiet and discrete, because when the sh..t hits the fan,and it will, those profesionals might be there to help!

As an aside, i didn't think the forum allowed advertising!

Nipper

Surely, anyone who is in the same business, is in competition with the couple of people on the forum who are known to move boats? The customer is free to choose the level of service, including amount of insurance, assurance in breakdown/other situations, etc

Indeed!

• Greenie 1

Nipper

You mean like all the CRT volunteers

You mean like all the CRT volunteers

Yes, but methinks thats another topic!

But, in theory, who is in charge and giving the instructions!

I would like to think that a well experienced canal man was, but maybe that is just a dream!

Nipper

As an aside, i didn't think the forum allowed advertising!

Without mentioning their names, there's several people on the forum (not just boat movers but others) who have a large percentage of their work come through via the forum. If we didn't allow this thread, we'd have to disallow the others too - be careful what you wish for.

Without mentioning their names, there's several people on the forum (not just boat movers but others) who have a large percentage of their work come through via the forum. If we didn't allow this thread, we'd have to disallow the others too - be careful what you wish for.

Yes, i have been on this forum long enough to know who they are,

and i don't think i mentioned that i was wishing, did i?

But, carry on putting words where there not! I'm easy!

Nipper

Yes, i have been on this forum long enough to know who they are,

and i don't think i mentioned that i was wishing, did i?

But, carry on putting words where there not! I'm easy!

Nipper

Well you mentioned the non-advertising rule. If we have a rule, there's 2 ways to do it: either favour some and not others; or have a general rule which applies to all.

Tammy and Mo may be the nicest people you could ever hope to meet, and their intentions are probably very honorable, but, this whole idea seems wrought with problems from start to finish.

Like everyone, I pay insurance premiums and I avoid doing anything underhanded that might give my insurance company an out. If Tammy and Mo are moving someone's boat from point A to point B for them, that is not the casual loan of the boat to a friend. For one thing, an owner would have to be crazy to just hand the boat and the keys to a well-recognized professional, let alone to a perfect stranger. In both instances the owner, and the mover, would want a very comprehensive written agreement specifying exactly what could and could not be done with the boat and what each party's respective rights and responsibilities are. By virtue of the contract that both the owner and mover would each want to protect themselves, this would probably be classed as a commercial venture, regardless of if no remuneration were involved, and I would think that would raise all kinds of insurance issues.

Tammy and Mo may be the nicest people you could ever hope to meet, and their intentions are probably very honorable, but, this whole idea seems wrought with problems from start to finish.

Like everyone, I pay insurance premiums and I avoid doing anything underhanded that might give my insurance company an out. If Tammy and Mo are moving someone's boat from point A to point B for them, that is not the casual loan of the boat to a friend. For one thing, an owner would have to be crazy to just hand the boat and the keys to a well-recognized professional, let alone to a perfect stranger. In both instances the owner, and the mover, would want a very comprehensive written agreement specifying exactly what could and could not be done with the boat and what each party's respective rights and responsibilities are. By virtue of the contract that both the owner and mover would each want to protect themselves, this would probably be classed as a commercial venture, regardless of if no remuneration were involved, and I would think that would raise all kinds of insurance issues.

Totally agree!

I was trying to say the same in my uneducated way, but without actually saying it!

Well done!

Nipper