Chester moorings

luggsy

Featured Posts

Do you need to be IN Chester - I think all the good ones are 48h. There's 3 spots which come to mind - the 2 bits either side of the winding hole before the staircase; and the large/wide pound just after, near Telfords warehouse and the dee branch junction. I'd say the best for mooring is below the staircase, but if you are turning round again its 1+ hour each way and quite a heavy set of locks to work too.

If you don't need to be in Chester then Christleton has a lot of good bits which aren't 48h

The moorings in Tower Wharf, the 'large/wide pound' is 14 days on the Telford Warehouse side. Well there are no signs to say otherwise and I've spent the best part of a fortnight there, in August, for the last few years.

Great Pub too; one of Chester's many.

Also recommend the Albion and The Brewery Tap.

James

Another vote for Christleton. Very civilised,a pleasant walk into town if you feel so inclined and good bus services.

That said, Chester does seem to have made an effort of late, to improve the canal environs near the city centre.

In winter 48hr become 14 day unless specifically signed otherwise.

What sign is needed for the mooring to revert to 14 days in wintertime?

What sign is needed for the mooring NOT to revert to 14 days in wintertime?

The reason I ask.....99.9% of the 48h moorings I've seen, simply have a sign which says "48h" - nothing about any time of year. And 99.9% haven't had their signage changed recently....so it says 48h.

Word of caution, last winter CaRT turned the visitor moorings at the bottom of the staircase at Tower Wharf into Designated paid for Winter Moorings which where fully occupied on the dry dock side, the moorings opposite where also nearly full so best send someone to walk down before you descend the staircase. otherwise its onwards towards Chester Zoo.

Word of caution, last winter CaRT turned the visitor moorings at the bottom of the staircase at Tower Wharf into Designated paid for Winter Moorings which where fully occupied on the dry dock side, the moorings opposite where also nearly full so best send someone to walk down before you descend the staircase. otherwise its onwards towards Chester Zoo.

They can only have turned 50% into long term winter moorings, the other 50% must have been simply occupied through being a busy/popular spot. Its the same with any mooring though - if its desirable, boaters will use it. Its plenty wide enough for breasting up, I'm surprised this doesn't occur (more often).

We spent Christmas at the top of the locks in the paved area by the winding hole!

There was a little noise, but that was to be expected by all the footfall in that area, never the less, the attitude of all was that it was Christmas, all were happy and festive..

It also has the advantage of being very close to the main town and for the first time ever, M and I had a beer on Christmas morning in one of the very good pubs in town!

An enjoyable place, pity we were the only ones moored there! blush.png

Nipper

Its surprisingly quiet in Chester, here's a pic from earlier today (below staircase):

post-14179-0-84608100-1448042877_thumb.jpg

The designated winter mooring area is above the staircase, by the Iceland (ie after the bridge & winding hole), heading north and there's no boats on it. The long area between Hoole Lane Lock and the winding hole is very quiet (1 boat). There's rings or bollards pretty much continuously from here to the winding hole, too.