CRT winter moorings- bit confused

Leemc

Featured Posts

20151119_174518_zpswpoph1rl.jpg

posted elsewhere but more pertinent on this thread.

I came home today to this , stuck at the front of my boat, it must have been put there today or yesterday.

Someone in CRT has seen fit to authorise the production of this sign and the costs of installation of a new post which may compromise the integrity of a 200 year old embankment.

2 boats have paid for winter moorings here, there is room for another 2 70 footers plus if needed, plus space nearer the junction and through the bridge towards Braunston.

So why has this post and sign appeared at the front of my boat today???

Loads of them here on the eastern K&A (except they don't say Norton Junction). Pretty much every VM has them, and all stuffed full of boats displaying Winter Mooring permits.

Bloody good thing I have a gangplank...

but this wasnt there yesterday morning Mikey, and its not growing season.

Hello...New members.Old boaters ?

We would have gladly taken a general towpath mooring again this year at just under £400 for five months. Nice spot near family and friends (one has water hose in garden near towpath) Composting toilet so no elsan worries. Hey ho. Nearest affordable winter mooring this year - nearest tap through Bingley locks - shops and bus service nowhere near. Only saving grace is a pub. Price is similar to last year but for four months only.

Skipton winter mooring, which we have used in the past would now cost around £950 for four months. Can't afford it and it's not where we want to be.

Do CRT think we're totally stupid?? We will have to move around except for the enforced CRT approved overstay while cap'n recovers from an op.

Does anyone know exactly why CRT have come to the decision that the general towpath winter mooring was illegal whereas it's not illegal to offer totally unusable fixed moorings.

I went up he Slough Arm yesterday, apparently every boater must do it in their lifetime!
Well, I've done it, so I don't have to do it again, Thankfully!

Anyway, there was lots of room with quite good depth for a 70 footer.

It was after Largo made her turn that I saw it!
A nice big brand new sign stating that there was Winter Moorings there.

Now, those that know that particular Arm will be aware that the nearest Water Point will probably be at the services at Cowley Peachy Marina, also the Elson and Pump Out would be there too.
There are no pubs in the close area, Pearsons say there is, but there isn't,, and nothing else really except a Jewsons builders yard.

Now! What idiot decided that this spot was good for a Winter Mooring and that someone with a 70 footer would be willing to pay £13-50 a meter to stop there, that's £287.95 for a month to stop somewhere that anyone could stop for 14 days for free!
So in actual fact the moorings would cost that money for just two weeks!

Utter Madness!

Nipper

Edited to change a there, to a their frusty.gif

Edited by nipper

I think these last 2 posts bring us back to where thread started. Still confused as to why many people would be spending a lot for very little.

Sure some people say moorings are convenient for work family etc but without water/ loo stuff and diesel nearby, some of these winter moorings are a colossal waste of money.

But at end of the day everybody's free to do what suits them.

Keep warm everybody

:)

I think these last 2 posts bring us back to where thread started. Still confused as to why many people would be spending a lot for very little.

Sure some people say moorings are convenient for work family etc but without water/ loo stuff and diesel nearby, some of these winter moorings are a colossal waste of money.

But at end of the day everybody's free to do what suits them.

Keep warm everybody

smile.png

Indeed!

Does anyone know exactly why CRT have come to the decision that the general towpath winter mooring was illegal whereas it's not illegal to offer totally unusable fixed moorings.

Simple - allowing liveboards to stay in one place for more than 1 month requires planning permission, therefore the previous system allowing 4 or 5 months in one place was illegal.

The new system of allowing one month and then having to move meets the PP requirements and is therefore not illegal.

The choice of locations may be irrational but the principal behind the Winter Moorings is not.

The fact that you are paying 4 weeks 'cost' to stay for 2 weeks (above what you can already stay for) is down to the individual boater to decide if it is worth it or not.

Simple - allowing liveboards to stay in one place for more than 1 month requires planning permission, therefore the previous system allowing 4 or 5 months in one place was illegal.

The new system of allowing one month and then having to move meets the PP requirements and is therefore not illegal.

The choice of locations may be irrational but the principal behind the Winter Moorings is not.

The fact that you are paying 4 weeks 'cost' to stay for 2 weeks (above what you can already stay for) is down to the individual boater to decide if it is worth it or not.

there is no new system allowing this.

the new winter moorings are bookable at any notified location from Nov 1st to Feb 29th.

hope this helps your fact finding become reliable.

It also poo poo's the fact that the roaming winter permits weren't legal or viable. - MORE IMPORTANTLY

As Matty says, you have completely misunderstood this,

There is no change to Winter Moorings at a fixed location over previous years, other than they are now being offered for a maximum of 4 months, whereas more usually it has been 5 months. You can book all of that time at one place, and I imagine that is what most taking them up will continue to do.

I believe the explanation given for that was that Easter falls particularly early next year, and there might have been a conflict of interest at the more popular moorings if they were used as WMs when large numbers of cruising boats might be on the move.

Apologies I obviously have misunderstood.

I was under the impression that it was bookable in increments of one month & you could move onto your next booked mooring for the next month

Obviously miss read the situation but will know better for next time the question is raised.

I stand corrected.

As Matty says, you have completely misunderstood this,

There is no change to Winter Moorings at a fixed location over previous years, other than they are now being offered for a maximum of 4 months, whereas more usually it has been 5 months. You can book all of that time at one place, and I imagine that is what most taking them up will continue to do.

I believe the explanation given for that was that Easter falls particularly early next year, and there might have been a conflict of interest at the more popular moorings if they were used as WMs when large numbers of cruising boats might be on the move.

But the concession allowing boaters to stay for up to 14 days on most VMs continues until 31 March.

Pearley, where did you get this from?

Does it apply to all canals?

Rob....

From this page:

During the winter period (1 November – 31 March) most short-stay moorings will relax to 14 day maximum stay unless there is a clear safety or customer need to provide otherwise. If the short-stay mooring is in place all year then it will be clearly signed. If it is not indicated on site then the mooring is 14 days by default during the winter.