Amazing Spaces Episode 9: Floating Homes

GreyLady

Featured Posts

View across towards Canary Wharf, not just the skyscrapers but also of cranes...certainly not on the Thames there either, well inside the dock system. However I did like the use of the concrete hull, and importantly how the hull was used for some of the accommodation, whilst on the 'container barge' absolute no use of the hull was made which I thought was a wasted potential.

The luxury houseboat was moored virtually outside our son's flat at South Quay, part of the West India Dock system. The lock entrance to the whole system from the Thames is just behind the restored tug boat. The houseboat was only there for just over a week while they made the programme. Though fully furnished, there was no one living in it, certainly in the few days I was staying in London. The actual mooring was on the far left of the photo, by the lifebelt.

As to 'premium' view. This is the view from our son's one bedroom flat, the rent for which was by no means 'premium', and relatively low for Docklands, especially as he'd only just started at the bottom of the job ladder.

12248229_10153768946237959_5510910326390

Yes, it's the Massey Shaw, first thing I noticed.

ex London Fire Brigade Fire Boat.

had to look twice as the Massey Shaw is moored outboard of a larger tug. (which I think is ST PORTWEY). A couple of my engineering friends are involved with Massey Shaw, it has a really impressive engine room, which also holds several fire pumps. I Haven't had a chance to have a trip on it yet myself.

EDT to add; worth having a look on U-Tube for some vids on the Massey Shaw, she is also one of the "Dunkirk Little Ships".

Edited by Dharl

Perhaps the mobiloo man comes and empties the dunnie now and again - that could work.

Yes, in some areas there are mobile pump-out facilities. There's a bloke near here who operates out of a hire boat yard and comes to the moorings with his land rover dragging a 1000 litre IBC tank and a pump. It saves people taking their boats down to him in winter when the river's running a bit fast. Fortunately I have no need of his services.

Edited by blackrose

ex London Fire Brigade Fire Boat.

had to look twice as the Massey Shaw is moored outboard of a larger tug. (which I think is ST PORTWEY). A couple of my engineering friends are involved with Massey Shaw, it has a really impressive engine room, which also holds several fire pumps. I Haven't had a chance to have a trip on it yet myself.

EDT to add; worth having a look on U-Tube for some vids on the Massey Shaw, she is also one of the "Dunkirk Little Ships".

Yes, she's an impressive bit of kit!

The trust have a good website for her too.

It was the best Salvage Squad episode by far, shame the didn't time the Gleniffer correctly!

They had a good bit of funding and had her rebuilt in Gloucester if I recall correctly

Yes, in some areas there are mobile pump-out facilities. There's a bloke near here who operates out of a hire boat yard and comes to the moorings with his land rover dragging a 1000 litre IBC tank and a pump. It saves people taking their boats down to him in winter when the river's running a bit fast. Fortunately I have no need of his services.

Confirming where there's muck there's brass!

I haven't a stout enough stomach to do that for a living! I hate doing our bog but seeing as Mrs Gazza is a nurse and deals with far worse for a living it doesn't seem fair to make her deal with it on her day off :)

It will have to be a bucket and chuck it or a pump out, that berth is a good way from the shower and toilet block.

My money is on a bucket and chuck it as getting it to the pump out the other side of the marina would be a right ball ache with no engine!

There's no mobile shit pump operating On the Ouse either.

ETA.

Perhaps the mobiloo man comes and empties the dunnie now and again - that could work.

sea toilets are legal on the Ouse, so it could have one, but I'm not sure whether Priory would allow one in the marina though.

It is an interesting concept and conversion but not something I would consider.
I've never understood the attraction of house-boats as, apart from some of the space constraints, you get all of the downsides of boating with none of the pleasures.

Boats are supposed to move

I think this chap will be swapping it for a proper boat within two years

He's always got the option of converting it into a widebeam. All he needs to do is find a suitable sized hull with an engine, crane the container onto it, and sell the pontoon. Then off he goes down the Ouse. The air draught might be a problem, especially getting under an arched bridge, but removing that pergola from the top would help matters.

• 2 months later...