Missing boat - Holly - NOW FOUND!

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

With free speech comes responsibility, not an opportunity to say what you wish to the detriment of others!

That doesn't sound like free speech to me.

The only constraint to free speech is that it should never be used to call for another's right to free speech to be curtailed.

However, I accept that this forum isn't one where free speech reigns, and that there are valid reasons for that.

I shall say nothing anywhere that might actually prejudice a trial.

I shall say nothing here that people might (wrongly) think might prejudice a trial.

In other words, in free forums, I will go closer to the line.

The Americans (who have had free speech far longer than us)have a principle of law, that you can have free speech, but you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theatre, meaning if your free speech harms others, forget it.

Edited by fuzzyduck

The Americans (who have had free speech far longer than us)have a principle of law, that you can have free speech, but you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theatre, meaning if your free speech harms others, forget it.

What if there is a fire?

In america, this "mustn't talk about it" nonsense doesn't exist - the media can report what it will. Speculation is just that - speculation. It has no bearing insde the courtroom. It is up to the legal representing parties to seat a non-biased jury by appointing people they believe to be objective and impartial. There is a system in place to help the attorneys in chosing such a jury. But at no time are the people on the street forbbiden to speak freely - or write things - or whatever method of ordinary everyday expression they choose. Only members of the jury - those who are part of the due process and are charged with a sacred duty must avoid exposing themselves to public opinion. If the case is sensitive, or high profile enough they may be a sequestered jury to lessen the possibility of them being tainted by the media.

You can't have it both ways - you either live under a freedom of speech system or you don't - this country, it seems, has a freedom-of-speech-unless-instructed-otherwise, policy. Books, music and other forms of expression can be banned at the whim of some 'superior' entity.

I guess if that's the way it is - then that's just the way it is - sad though.

Edited by Starry

I'm really chuffed Holly has been found. (it's not that I'm slow, just that I've been off work for a couple of days ill)

Whether it found because of a direct result of this forum or not I think you can all be very proud of yourselves for the unselfish work that you've done.

It's restored my faith in the canal community.

It's a shame there are a couple who spoil it and everybody knows who they are but as in life the majority outweigh them massively.

Cheers all(well nearly all)

BOATIE

The issue of free speech on this forum is not up for debate. You can search for the many previous topics on the subject. Please can we keep this topic to Nb Holly where appropriate.

Jon

Jon

Can you print the jpg that I emailed you?

If you view the forums as a guest you get another hour in the day it just told me it was 5pm (a bit early I thought) then when i 'logged in' it was 6. Oh well I guess that's not really the point. sorry.

That's because the default forum time is UDT. We are now BST so when you log in the forum selects your time zone.

Dave, what Jpg?

Jon

An abbreviation as a file extension for JPEG: Joint Photographic Experts' Group. It defines an algorithm for making huge picture files much smaller. It is lossy. So if you keep editing jpegs and resaving them you will gradually lose quality.

Nick

It'll be the politically correct way of saying GMT, upsets the French and embarrasses the British 'cos we once had an empire. <_<

And as this UT implies it is the Universal Timescale (in a Universe of 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 suns) it just goes to show how some very small minded people like to think they are very important when they are not. (Guess who!)

At least the Britsh GMT was the time standard at Greenwich and not for the Universe - but then we had a more balanced view of things back then in the 1800s!

An abbreviation as a file extension for JPEG: Joint Photographic Experts' Group. It defines an algorithm for making huge picture files much smaller. It is lossy. So if you keep editing jpegs and resaving them you will gradually lose quality.

Nick

I know what a jpg is, I just don't appear to have received one from Dave! <_<

Dave, can you resent if it's relevant to this thread?

I know what a jpg is, I just don't appear to have received one from Dave! <_<

Dave, can you resent if it's relevant to this thread?

Sorry, duh!

I misread the message and mentally added "is a" into it!

Nick

She's home now - I walked along the towpath this morning and went to watch for a minute from the bridge, what looked like officials removing belongings from the boat. I took one or two pics with my phone a bit later after they had gone - but i don't have the where-with-all to get them onto the computer. <_<

If I had been thinking, I would've grabbed the digital camera, but I was just happening by so I didn't think about it.

Edited by Starry