Beta JD3 tug engines

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, 1stArthur said:

I think you’re right it’s a JD . 
any idea where to get spare hoses. Any parts? 

You really do need to sort out which you have. The Beta BD3 is a completely engine from the Beta JD3 which superseded it, even though the two engines look superficially similar and do the same job. 

5 hours ago, john.k said:

The small bore  hoses on the oil cooler need to be correct ......I found any kind of flex hoses would develop a kink and shut off coolant flow.

I’m not sure I think now it’s a JD 3 it has a ford block . So far it’s ok but what concerns me is the hoses ether end of the heat exchanger and the reduction hoses from the engine. 

IMG_0255.jpeg

As a routine test of coolant hoses (not exhaust hoses or spiral reinforced hoses) check the ends where they extend beyond the clips. This is where perishing often first becomes visible. Then squeeze the hose somewhere away from the ends. It should just squeeze in a bit with no or little resistance. if it crunches then it tells you that the inner layer(s) have perished, so the hose will need changing very soon. To get the "feel" try it on  sevearl hoses.

1 hour ago, 1stArthur said:

I’m not sure I think now it’s a JD 3 it has a ford block . So far it’s ok but what concerns me is the hoses ether end of the heat exchanger and the reduction hoses from the engine. 

IMG_0255.jpeg

That looks like a BD3 to me as it is similar to mine except mine has the handstand. If it has Ford on the castings that would also point to it being the BD3. Can you post a photo of the engine and the manual that you said you have

1 hour ago, 1stArthur said:

IMG_0255.jpeg

That don't look like a JD3 to me so I assume a BD3 but hopefully somebody will confirm this. I suspect that hose/elbow is a Beta special. BD3 is now a very old engine so can't really expect Beta to have all the parts.

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

That don't look like a JD3 to me so I assume a BD3 but hopefully somebody will confirm this. I suspect that hose/elbow is a Beta special. BD3 is now a very old engine so can't really expect Beta to have all the parts.

Nor does it look to me like the BD3 I used to own. In particular I don't remember it having that nice brass gauge in the corner of the photo. 

Maybe 1stArthur could post a photo of the whole engine, and get a consensus view on what it is. 

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Nor does it look to me like the BD3 I used to own. In particular I don't remember it having that nice brass gauge in the corner of the photo. 

Maybe 1stArthur could post a photo of the whole engine, and get a consensus view on what it is. 

IMG_9819.thumb.jpeg.02970b3f0d5c745d61004dca8a8c0c8b.jpeg

Just now, 1stArthur said:

I can take more pictures if you like it would be good to clear up what the engine is , ether a BD3 or a JD 3 . As for the manual is was forwarded to me by a kind gentleman on this forum so may or may not be correct for this engine. I will post a pic of it .

5 minutes ago, 1stArthur said:

I can take more pictures if you like it would be good to clear up what the engine is , ether a BD3 or a JD 3 . As for the manual is was forwarded to me by a kind gentleman on this forum so may or may not be correct for this engine. I will post a pic of it .

I think that should read DB David Brown.

38 minutes ago, 1stArthur said:

I think that should read DB David Brown.

Definitely a BD3.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

I have observed that the Beta BD3 had no standard build. On some the brass oil guage was on the other side of that support where @1stArthur is shown. Some had different air filters fitted. But that is definitely a BD3 version. Sleeman & Hawken may be able to supply hoses if the same hose was fitted to the Lister Classic CRK3

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I have observed that the Beta BD3 had no standard build. On some the brass oil guage was on the other side of that support where @1stArthur is shown. Some had different air filters fitted. But that is definitely a BD3 version. Sleeman & Hawken may be able to supply hoses if the same hose was fitted to the Lister Classic CRK3

Thank you very much I’m glad I now know what it is a BD 3. 

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As a routine test of coolant hoses (not exhaust hoses or spiral reinforced hoses) check the ends where they extend beyond the clips. This is where perishing often first becomes visible. Then squeeze the hose somewhere away from the ends. It should just squeeze in a bit with no or little resistance. if it crunches then it tells you that the inner layer(s) have perished, so the hose will need changing very soon. To get the "feel" try it on  sevearl hoses.

Thank you I will try that .

22 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I'm lost, is it a john Deere or a Ford Lister we are talking about?

As far as I’ve been told especially after posting pictures the engine is a BD 3 . As for the hoses I think after looking on line I can have them made up. It’s not that I need the immediately but I like to carry spares.

12 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Parkers Motor Factors of Leicester are  good for odd hoses especially their Syston branch.

Thank you I will have a look at them . 

9 hours ago, Tonka said:

That looks like a BD3 to me as it is similar to mine except mine has the handstand. If it has Ford on the castings that would also point to it being the BD3. Can you post a photo of the engine and the manual that you said you have

I agree with that, the bent hose from the water pump and the brass oil pressure gauge looks BD3

6 hours ago, Tonka said:

. Sleeman & Hawken may be able to supply hoses if the same hose was fitted to the Lister Classic CRK3

Just looking at the Lister CRK3 book and it doesnt have that bent pipe having a radiator