Glascote basin

Tonka

Featured Posts

With reference to a much earlier post of mine back in the summer . Yep Canopus is a lovely looking boat , but not when it smacks into you without slowing , rips your cratch cover , puts a dent your hull and the steerer utters those immortal words , 'CONTACT SPORT'. Even his wife had to hold onto something in the bow ( whilst yelling at him to slow down) he hit us with such force . Luckily I was hard in reverse when I saw his speed as he missed the corner , or it could of been worse , a possible insurance claim . As it is I can use a needle and thread and you only notice the dent when the curtains are up ( not often if it's a wet summer) . Still Canopus nice looking boat but don't want to see her that close too again . Bunny

With reference to a much earlier post of mine back in the summer . Yep Canopus is a lovely looking boat , but not when it smacks into you without slowing , rips your cratch cover , puts a dent your hull and the steerer utters those immortal words , 'CONTACT SPORT'. Even his wife had to hold onto something in the bow ( whilst yelling at him to slow down) he hit us with such force . Luckily I was hard in reverse when I saw his speed as he missed the corner , or it could of been worse , a possible insurance claim . As it is I can use a needle and thread and you only notice the dent when the curtains are up ( not often if it's a wet summer) . Still Canopus nice looking boat but don't want to see her that close too again . Bunny

Although perhaps worth bearing in mind that there are a few narrowboats called Canopus. Are you sure you have the right one?

I may be missing something but, why infantile? I personally like the look of most S.M. Hudson boats, but they have attracted a good deal of adverse criticism on here over the years, largely from adults.

I just think dissing a particular make of boat as not being 'decent' on the basis of a personal opinion lacking in any sort of adult constructive opinion a little bit something like a child would do.

Hence my comment.

Although perhaps worth bearing in mind that there are a few narrowboats called Canopus. Are you sure you have the right one?

[politically_incorrect_mode]

If it hit anybody it was highly unlikely to be the Canopus that can always be found on a short length of the Grand Union south of Stoke Bruerne......

I have never seen that move anywhere! :lol:

[/politically_incorrect_mode]

Out of idle curiosity, I'm wondering if this is the boat at Glascote that is being referred to?

05-25-2013+(15)s.JPG

(Image found on http://many-meetings.blogspot.co.uk)

EDIT: I think I have just fallen in - this boat is probably owned by a forum ember, and seems to have been fitted out by David Gunby at the very place we currently are - Brinklow Boat Services.

Edited by alan_fincher

Yep that's the boat recognise the bow, the fender went into the cratch above the gunwale and the bow went into our side. Poor wife in the bow was trying to hold on to the light . I did contact the forum member at the time . He kindly emailed back to tell me he had sold the boat . Still a nice looking boat . Bunny

Yep that's the boat recognise the bow, the fender went into the cratch above the gunwale and the bow went into our side. Poor wife in the bow was trying to hold on to the light . I did contact the forum member at the time . He kindly emailed back to tell me he had sold the boat . Still a nice looking boat . Bunny

Curiously enough I have just seen the very boat in question heading South at Brinklow arches. Certainly not anybody I recognised at the tiller, and, if I'm honest heading really rather fast into the bit that has a marked unstable cutting, and where as a result you are asked to limit speed to 2mph.

(Though to be fair the next boat following seemed to giving him a fair run for his money!)

Out of idle curiosity, I'm wondering if this is the boat at Glascote that is being referred to?

05-25-2013+(15)s.JPG

(Image found on http://many-meetings.blogspot.co.uk)

EDIT: I think I have just fallen in - this boat is probably owned by a forum ember, and seems to have been fitted out by David Gunby at the very place we currently are - Brinklow Boat Services.

That is not a Hudson boat, the back end rings are on upside down captain.gif

The back end rings are in the right position, ish...I'd prefer to see them a little lower and angled further, but that's only my take. I've no idea why they are set oppositely on some boats. The builder does know what he's about, IMHO....

Dave

The back end rings are in the right position, ish...I'd prefer to see them a little lower and angled further, but that's only my take. I've no idea why they are set oppositely on some boats. The builder does know what he's about, IMHO....

Dave

I though I left a smilly clapping.gif

I may be missing something but, why infantile? I personally like the look of most S.M. Hudson boats, but they have attracted a good deal of adverse criticism on here over the years, largely from adults.

There have been other builders based there. You jumped to S M Hudson

There have been other builders based there. You jumped to S M Hudson

Not in my time, lad. Steve was already established there the first time I went through Glascote. I don't see the relevance anyway.