Single handed.....

Nev

Featured Posts

I took my boat down to Streethay yesterday on my own from Fradley - not a big issue for all you seasoned single handed boaters I know, but for me the first time I have been out on a boat on my own without my lovely wife..... I quite enjoyed the challenge and it gave me confidence that so long as you take your time and are aware of what is happening around you it is quite easy.

Only question is - even being gentle on the top paddles filling the locks the boat still came forward very quickly in the lock, giving the top gate a bump. I did try on one lock leaving the boat in tickover forward so the front fender was up against the gate which seemed better - is this accepted good practice or should a rope be used to secure the boat?

I would definitely use the in gear technique for going down to avoid the cill?

Any advice guidance appreciated,

Nev

Well, I must admit Nev, I too have used this technique, (rightly or wrongly). In general I have found it works well for me too. However it is important to inspect every single lock gate. Shugbourgh, for example, only a little rise in this lock, but the top gate has a central metal plate which is vertical to start with, then as you look at it has a 30ish degree tilt over the water, my boat did tip a little as it got temperally caught by the forward rope fender.

The design of many of the gates on the canal system does seem to vary greatly, obviously due to the history of our waterways, Bosley locks on the Maccy can catch the bow of the boat I found, so i guess its proceed with care.

Assuming we're talking about narrow locks.

The boat wants to come forward on its own - so you can let it do so without being in gear. Leave the boat as near to the front as possible, open the paddles part-way until the boat has established itself firmly against the top gate then open the paddles the rest of the way. Keep an eye on it to make sure the front fender can't get caught, but because it isn't in gear it will easily push back if there is a slight or sloping obstruction such as MarkAdrian reports; also you will wear the fender less. When the lock is almost full you can walk to the back of the boat and put it gently in gear, so that it will help you open the gate and then come forward for you.

Going down, there is similarly no need to be in gear, just start with the boat at the front of the lock and open the paddles all the way. The draw of water will keep the boat clear of the cill (with one exception that I know, for some strange reason the 2nd lock at Hurlestone draws the boat back instead of forwards) but when the lock has finished emptying the boat will drift back away from the gates all by itself.

Allan

As ever, excellent informed advice, thank you.

I did keep a close eye on the front fender dragging or getting snagged on the lock gate - the gates at Fradley are pretty good and have good plates for the fender to slide up against.

I think on reflection and for full control I will tie up - this will allow me to get in and out of the lock by the ladders without the boat still moving (albeit slowly).

Next challenge is swing and lift bridges.... a trip to the Caldon is planned.

Take care and enjoy that extra hour....

Nev

Hi,

All the replies so far are good sound advice. I find part of the fascination with canal boating lies in observing the way the boat moves in locks and windy channels and learning to use that behaviour to your advantage rather than fighting it.

When going up in a narrow lock, the boat will first be pushed back (because the water level rises under the bows as the water first comes in) then as you have observed is drawn forwards sharply by the surface flow reflected from the bottom gates.

Try this. Start with the boat forward near or against the sill or top gate. Raise a paddle about half way. Wait, and watch as the bow is pushed back. Then as the flow begins to draw it forwards again, whip the paddle the rest of the way up and the surge will slow and cushion the bow fenders arrival back against the sill/gate where it will then sit happily.

If you do decide to use a rope, and when single handed I always have a rope ashore, even if just laid along the ground in case you need it, then a method we sometimes use when horse boating (no engine, big vulnerable rudder!) is to take a line from the mast, or the centre line in your case, forward, and take a turn round the balance beam. Just tuck the end under the standing part, i.e. the bit going back to the boat where it goes over the top of the beam (a thumb hitch) so that the harder the pull the tighter it will grip, but it can be freed easily in need. Once the lock is half full and the boat has settled against the gate you can coil it back on the roof.

This method is useful in some of the more turbulent locks where the boat tends to thrash about, and on windy days, but as has been said, most of the time you don't need it. And either trick is more satisfying and less stressful than all that motor revving and smoke while trying to keep the boat still in the middle of the lock!

Go with the flow!

Rick

I always have the boat right up to the front gate, going up and down. I do a loose tie onto the gate's bar while I go and close the back gates, just to stop it falling away from the front gate. As soon as I start the paddle wind, I can release the rope as the boat is pinned in place. It's true you have to check for things the bow can catch on, but I prefer this that banging the gates.

If you're going uphill you can leave the boat on fast ticker as once the water levels are straight the boat opens the gates for you :cheers:

It's a bugger when you don't catch it in time though once it's left the chamber :cheers:

If you're going uphill you can leave the boat on fast ticker as once the water levels are straight the boat opens the gates for you :cheers:

It's a bugger when you don't catch it in time though once it's left the chamber :cheers:

The trick is to be standing at the gate lowering the paddle as the boat leaves the lock. As the stern passes you, reach out and knock it into reverse. You'll have enough time to close the gate as the boat comes to a halt then reverses back to you. You just step on board, re-engage forward gear and drive away.

I have a bowline on the end of my centre rope which I drop over a bollard and leave the boat ticking over in forward gear. This holds the boat alongside whilst allowing for the rise/fall of the lock. Also useful at swing bridge moorings or anywhere else where you want the boat's handbrake on for a short while. The biggest advantage I find with this is that the boat remains snugly alongside when locking down as well as up.

I just tie up on the centre rope and never go anywhere near the gates with the bow or stern. Perhaps with longer boats you need different techniques but I don't see any reason to touch the gates - it's a 72' lock and I've got a 57' boat.

Oh if only it were that simple not all canals have 72 foot locks.

When single handing the best method, IMHO, is take your time, asses the situation and then use the safest method to move the boat through the lock. Remember the safety applies to you and anyone else around, when your singlehanding you get lots of offers of help not always from people who know what they are doing.

Ken

All,

We have always fitted the front fender so that if it gets caught in a gate going down it will lift up and clear.

Going up, if it catches, we fix the fender chains to the boat with thin rope which which will break if necessary. If you tie each side separately it is most unlikely that you will actually loose your fender.

This done, either leave things in gear or take a 'tack string' ,a light line, on to the bank and strap the boat to the gate.

The main thing has to be to pay attention if you are on the paddles.

Tim

Or you can hold the boat back in the lock (towards the bottom gate) using a decent centerline. Which is what we do, becuase of our vertical stem, which cant be left to rub/bump against the cill.

Daniel

There is some very poor advice here, leaving your boat unattended, in gear in the bottom of a lock is foolhardy to say the least and completely unnecessary. What would happen if your prop was to foul up, with the safety clutch slipping, your gearbox will be wrecked by the time you have got to it. I think some people are trying to copy the techniques which was used with working boats with others copying them.

Routinely climbing up and down lock ladders when alone with no-one else within calling distance is extremely foolish, and again unnecessary, lock ladders have been installed for safety reasons and should be used for nothing else.

On the other hand I have always said the canals are over populated so why should I care.

There is some very poor advice here, leaving your boat unattended, in gear in the bottom of a lock is foolhardy to say the least and completely unnecessary. What would happen if your prop was to foul up, with the safety clutch slipping, your gearbox will be wrecked by the time you have got to it. I think some people are trying to copy the techniques which was used with working boats with others copying them.

Routinely climbing up and down lock ladders when alone with no-one else within calling distance is extremely foolish, and again unnecessary, lock ladders have been installed for safety reasons and should be used for nothing else.

On the other hand I have always said the canals are over populated so why should I care.

I can't comment because I have never done a lock single-handed. I must say though that your post is most unhelpful John, because you are simply saying that "everybody is wrong" whilst adding no useful or positive input. So what is the sensible way to lock when single-handed? I too would like to know because I may have to do so one day.

Hi Catti.

The following I posted last January and I am sure there were many similar ones before that time, so at least you may say I am reasonably consistent. It is near impossible to make definite pronouncements on this matter as there are a million minor variations with individual locks and structures, the best that can be done is probably to start off giving ones self a few general rules and getting into good habits with reasonably safe procedures. These should not include scrambling up slimy vertical ladders and leaving your boat alone in the way described.

'In my view it is very bad and dangerous policy to routinely uses the fixed ladders when locking, they were only installed universally only 10 or 20 years ago and were intended for emergency use only.

It is certainly not essential either to have a centre line even though they make life easier, the best way to control your boat when it is in a lock is to rely almost entirely on the the paddles, usually best just to use just one, "One click at a time is the golden rule" as I was told many years ago. The boat can be controlled perfectly well by this method.

When going up or down, step off the boat as it enters the chamber'.

And another last July.

When I started boating 25 years ago it was a disembowelling offence not to close all the gates, still is I think. But why all this clambering up and down lock ladders, it is unnecessary and can be dangerous.

As I haven't done much single handed stuff in recent years I thought it must be me when reading about it the way others do it. Recently I was left on my own for an hour with a lock in front of me. It took hardly longer than with having a crew.

No use of the ladder or ropes, (going uphill, gates open) I chugged slowly into the chamber and stepped off at the same time selecting neutral. The boat came to a halt before reaching the far gates, I shut the bottom gates and the began opening the top paddles, very slowly at first, one click at a time. That I was told many years ago is how the working boatmen did it.

At no time did the boat come close to either gate and the process did not take long at all. Going down is just as easy, just pull the boat out with the centre line. So no hauling on ropes, no scrambling up and down ladders it's easy. Remember 'one click at a time'.

How can you go single handed with partner and kids inside? The number of times I have helped people through a lock because they were short handed, only to see as the boat pulls away, spouse and teenage off-springs watching TV inside. Really warms your heart that.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi Catti.

The following I posted last January and I am sure there were many similar ones before that time, so at least you may say I am reasonably consistent. It is near impossible to make definite pronouncements on this matter as there are a million minor variations with individual locks and structures, the best that can be done is probably to start off giving ones self a few general rules and getting into good habits with reasonably safe procedures. These should not include scrambling up slimy vertical ladders and leaving your boat alone in the way described.

'In my view it is very bad and dangerous policy to routinely uses the fixed ladders when locking, they were only installed universally only 10 or 20 years ago and were intended for emergency use only.

It is certainly not essential either to have a centre line even though they make life easier, the best way to control your boat when it is in a lock is to rely almost entirely on the the paddles, usually best just to use just one, "One click at a time is the golden rule" as I was told many years ago. The boat can be controlled perfectly well by this method.

And another last July.

When I started boating 25 years ago it was a disembowelling offence not to close all the gates, still is I think. But why all this clambering up and down lock ladders, it is unnecessary and can be dangerous.

As I haven't done much single handed stuff in recent years I thought it must be me when reading about it the way others do it. Recently I was left on my own for an hour with a lock in front of me. It took hardly longer than with having a crew.

No use of the ladder or ropes, (going uphill, gates open) I chugged slowly into the chamber and stepped off at the same time selecting neutral. The boat came to a halt before reaching the far gates, I shut the bottom gates and the began opening the top paddles, very slowly at first, one click at a time. That I was told many years ago is how the working boatmen did it.

At no time did the boat come close to either gate and the process did not take long at all. Going down is just as easy, just pull the boat out with the centre line. So no hauling on ropes, no scrambling up and down ladders it's easy. Remember 'one click at a time'.

How can you go single handed with partner and kids inside? The number of times I have helped people through a lock because they were short handed, only to see as the boat pulls away, spouse and teenage off-springs watching TV inside. Really warms your heart that.

Thanks John :cheers:

Hi Catti.

And another last July.

For someone who spent half their life charging round a race track , you don't half talk a lot of Twaddle about dangerous activity John.

What a very well behaved boat you have John! And what perfection in timing! Every other boat I've seen in locks have been moved about by the flow of water - pushed forwards to the front gates, no matter how gently the paddles are opened.

I'll step in to come to John's defence......in a way.

If your boat is small enough to move about in locks, tie the bloody thing up. Then open the paddles to fill the lock, instead of pussyfooting about holding everyone up for ages.

As to climbing ladders. It's just as dangerous to step off a moving boat, as it is to climb a slippery, vertical ladder; but they are preferable to climbing slippery lock gates. When I'm on my own I've no choice but to do this. Disagree John? Take your boat single handed through one of the large Trent locks without. Yes, it would be possible, but there's a real chance you'd end up swimming out to your boat.

So HOW am I defending you.......as you have spent 'half your life' riding round race tracks, you will have aquired the skill of sliding movement, and timing. Sliding a boat at 1mph on liquid is very easy, compared to sliding a machine on sticky tyres on tarmac at 100plus mph.

So a 60ft by 6ft 10inch boat in a 61ft by 7ft lock should present little problem to anyone :cheers:

David.

For someone who spends a lot of his time banging on about working boats and their crews in the days of old, what's all this 'twaddle' about how the boatmen would scamper up and down lock ladders all day long. They were only installed during the 1980's.

I didn't spend anything like half my life racing around circuits but I did spend a significant bit of it climbing vertical ladders on big plant machinery, they by law have safety hoops fitted, they don't have organic slime all over them and in the main they are used by fit young chaps not geriatric wrinklies like us.

They are and always have been regarded by the authorities as extremely dangerous and only allowed if a staircase is impractical for some reason.