Single handed.....

Nev

Featured Posts

To follow on from my previous thoughts I might leave you with this.

A long time ago (1979) I was single in Audlem bottom lock going downhill.

Put Olympian in lock and walked down to pull bottom paddles.

I saw a boat adrift across the cut by the wide 'ole.

I only pulled one paddle and walked down to tied up the boat.

Upon my return Olympian had silled and water was pouring over the top gates into the hatches.

It washed all the way through the boat and boy did the floor sparkle after I cleaned it up.

Moral

Never leave yopur boat unattended in a emptying or filling lock

Always use both paddles as in this instance the one paddle did not create enough draw to keep the boat against the bottom gate.

Or what about this last year

Bringing Jaguar back from Brinklow alone I came down Atherstone as it was getting dark.

The Bolinder was paddling slightly which can be a blessing as well as a curse.

The boat came out of the top lock under its 'paddle' and I was able to close the gates and step on (I already had next lock ready of course)

The second lock was another matter as the pound was full and hence the boat came out of the lock a bit faster. Result! I hesitated and missed the boat.(He who hesitates is lost) Of course it never goes towpath side ! It finally stopped on the offside. I wandered over fences and bramles to get to the boat only to have it reverse when I was about to get on the fore end and start going back away from me. Back to the other side and then stemmed up

too far from the bank. I evenually had to let the water do the work. Result I normal do top lock to home on my own on 1 hr 20m with nobody around. Got home at Grendon in 3h 10 m. with deep scatches up my arms from the brambles.

I might add that 5 years ago I would have easily made a long step onto the motor but time goes on!

The second lock was another matter as the pound was full and hence the boat came out of the lock a bit faster. Result! I hesitated and missed the boat.(He who hesitates is lost) Of course it never goes towpath side ! It finally stopped on the offside. I wandered over fences and bramles to get to the boat only to have it reverse when I was about to get on the fore end and start going back away from me. Back to the other side and then stemmed up

too far from the bank. I evenually had to let the water do the work. Result I normal do top lock to home on my own on 1 hr 20m with nobody around. Got home at Grendon in 3h 10 m. with deep scatches up my arms from the brambles.

A similar thing happened to me last year when coming up the Northampton arm on the way back from St Ives. All the locks had been against me and I was running backwards and forwards like a mad thing. I had just been getting the lock above me ready when, as I walked back to 'Alnwick' the top gate of the lock that it had been sitting in, slowly opened and the boat made its way unaided through the wide pound toward the next lock. I hadn't deliberately left it in gear but it must have been close enough for the forward clutch to catch on the vibrations, then the thrust of the prop would have pushed it into gear even on tick-over. There were several gongoozlers about so, with the boat too far away for me to do anything other than watch, I walked casually to the next lock as the boat continued in a straight line, bumped the lock entrance, then slowly entered the lock and gently came to rest with a bump against the top gate sill. Those watching must have thought it a very clever manoeuvre and could not have known about the near heart attack I suffered when I saw the boat moving (unexpectedly) on its own! It could have been a complete disaster!

A similar thing happened to me last year when coming up the Northampton arm on the way back from St Ives. All the locks had been against me and I was running backwards and forwards like a mad thing. I had just been getting the lock above me ready when, as I walked back to 'Alnwick' the top gate of the lock that it had been sitting in, slowly opened and the boat made its way unaided through the wide pound toward the next lock. I hadn't deliberately left it in gear but it must have been close enough for the forward clutch to catch on the vibrations, then the thrust of the prop would have pushed it into gear even on tick-over. There were several gongoozlers about so, with the boat too far away for me to do anything other than watch, I walked casually to the next lock as the boat continued in a straight line, bumped the lock entrance, then slowly entered the lock and gently came to rest with a bump against the top gate sill. Those watching must have thought it a very clever manoeuvre and could not have known about the near heart attack I suffered when I saw the boat moving (unexpectedly) on its own! It could have been a complete disaster!

:o:);) Classic!!!

two ropes required in locks. Use centre rope and either stern or bow too. hardly rocket science, but it took me a while, and a thames lock keeper to suggest it, for it to click with me. When I bought my boat it didn't have a centre ring for a rope on it, so the previous owner clearly knew how to use the current etc etc to control the boat, and neither the bow or the stern are long ropes. I take great delight to think there was an element of boating the previous owner could do as his DIY was.. erm.. well.. erm... history.

edit: mooring up on a centre line is completely and utterly stupid.

I'm a bit lost now, do you mean mooring up in a lock on centre line is daft, or just mooring up will a centre line anywhere?

Taking the advice of the boat seller, I always moor up when staying somewhere long term with bow, stern and centre lines. Is this wrong? I see some other boats do, some don't.

Taking the advice of the boat seller, I always moor up when staying somewhere long term with bow, stern and centre lines. Is this wrong? I see some other boats do, some don't.

I cannot think of any benefit that would be offered by using the centre line in addition to the bow and stern lines, unless you suspected that the bow or stern lines were likely to come undone.

I'm a bit lost now, do you mean mooring up in a lock on centre line is daft, or just mooring up will a centre line anywhere?

The reason many people don't moor up (anywhere) with centre ropes is because in winds, currents or when other boats pass the centre rope will cause the boat to roll more than ropes that are attached to the boat lower down.

However, if you want to moor with a centre rope in addition to your bow & stern ropes for extra security, then just make sure the centre rope is loose.

two ropes required in locks. Use centre rope and either stern or bow too. hardly rocket science, but it took me a while, and a thames lock keeper to suggest it, for it to click with me. When I bought my boat it didn't have a centre ring for a rope on it, so the previous owner clearly knew how to use the current etc etc to control the boat, and neither the bow or the stern are long ropes. I take great delight to think there was an element of boating the previous owner could do as his DIY was.. erm.. well.. erm... history.

edit: mooring up on a centre line is completely and utterly stupid.

I had one of my arms in a sling up my jumper (recovering from an encouter with a canal world forum banter) when I tried to do the River Wey a couple of years ago. Single handed boating in that case was rather unfunny. I had a serious sense of humour failure for most of the journey.

We have a centre rope loop in the middle of the boat, it really is invaluable. Lynn can easily hold the boat using the centre rope. I had assumed all boats had a centre attachment, just not the sort of thing you look out for i suppose, The loop is plenty strong enough as a second plate has been welded to the roof for additional strength and the loop welded to that secong plate, it's done in a diamont pattern shape to for the asthetics. My brothers boat has the same built by the same builder, he cruises single handed and would consider a centre rope essential especially in locks.

This was posted in the widebeam handling thread also.

We have a centre rope loop in the middle of the boat, it really is invaluable. Lynn can easily hold the boat using the centre rope. I had assumed all boats had a centre attachment, just not the sort of thing you look out for i suppose, The loop is plenty strong enough as a second plate has been welded to the roof for additional strength and the loop welded to that secong plate, it's done in a diamont pattern shape to for the asthetics. My brothers boat has the same built by the same builder, he cruises single handed and would consider a centre rope essential especially in locks.

This was posted in the widebeam handling thread also.

i had one fitted, I find it imposible without one, but am impressed the previous owner managed. I tried for a year, but gave up!

I'm normally singlehanded and when I moor up I use the center to stop the boat and bring it tight to the bank.

I then loosly secure the center line, so I can secure the bow and stern lines without the boat drifting off.

As for always securing the boat in a lock, the Oxford canal doesn't have any bollards so you don't always have the option

I have to move the boat single handed this weekend for the first time, encountering a couple of double locks. Going up, not down

How is this done? I presume I just tie up to a bollard or keep hold of the middle rope when opening the paddles. Do you open paddles on both sides, or just one side. How do you hold the rope when opening opposite paddle?

There are some interesting points here. Like many things there are many ways of achieving the same thing clearly safety is the main consideration here. Many will argue but I believe that single handed boating can be safer in that you are far more aware of what is going on and you have far more control of things. I’ve been in locks when “helpers” have operated the lock for me and although I appreciate the help I sooner do it myself as I can keep control of the operation.

I have nearly always boated single handed and I find that I can sometimes work a lock quicker than with a crew. I never rush or feel pressured by onlookers because I trust my system.

Every lock is different even if the paddle arrangement is the same, some locks when filling can be a bit feisty and have their own quirks. Most of the locks on the Avon end of the K&A I have sussed out, each one I treat differently. I have a beefy centre rope with a climbers clip on the end, which, if I have to climb lock ladders I clip to my belt, then I’ve got all hands and feet for the ladder. The windlass is either thrown up or stuffed in my belt. If going up in a lock I try to put the boat on the right hand side, tie it up tight using the centre rope on a centre bollard. I then set the lock and open ONE paddle A FEW CLICKS ONLY, usually the opposite gate to where the boat is tied, so for example if the boat is on the right I open the left top paddle. I then return to the bollard to man the rope.

Depending on the lock, initially the flow of the water will tend to push the boat back, and then as the flow gets deeper the water tends to go under the boat and try to push it forward. Of course the reverse can happen if the water is coming in from side paddles which will initially push the boat to the side then forwards and out.

Because the rope is tight the boat can’t go anywhere only up. If the lock is quite tame I’ll open the paddle further and return to the rope and start taking up the slack as the boat rises. By this time the flow of water in the lock has settled down to a steady flow so I’ll might open the paddles further if all is sweet then just be patient until the lock is full. If the lock is a bit of a feisty bitch treat it with care (just like a woman) and just take your time and she’ll soon melt in your hands.

When all is done I open the right gate and trundle out dead slow, I’ve got a short strap I use when locking that I use to strap the boat on the strapping post if there is one or use the longer mooring rope and just keep hold of her while I reset the paddles.

Swing bridges.

Just a quick one here for swing bridges

There a quite a few swing bridges on the K&A most of them are well used so are quite free and easy to swing so this is the system I use.

1. Tie up on the towpath side.

2. Get boat shaft and “Bridge rope” This is a rope I have that sinks and again fitted with a climbers clip.

3. Go back to the boat and get the bloody BW key that you forgot to pick up.

4. Unlock the bridge and clip your rope to the hand rail or similar.

5. Stay on the towpath side keep hold of the other end of the rope and then push the bridge open with your boat shaft.

6. If it’s a nice friendly bridge it will stay open. Leave the end of the rope on the bank, the rest of which has now sunk to the bottom of the canal.

7. Return to boat and SLOWLY motor through the swing bridge, knocking it out of gear as you go over the sunken rope so you don’t make an arse of yourself with fifty foot of rope in your prop.

8. Pull up and tie up or like me strap the boat on the strapping post and leave her in gear at idle this stops her drifting about.

9. Return to the rope and pull back the swing bridge, relock and unclip the “bridge rope”.

10. Go back and get the bloody BW key you left in the lock.

The key thing in all of this is to take your time, devise your own system and be safe as possible. When in a lock alone I’ve always got a rope either in my hand or close to hand so if anything goes Pete Tong you’ve got some help at hand.

Good luck

Cheers

Jay

I'm normally singlehanded and when I moor up I use the center to stop the boat and bring it tight to the bank.

I then loosly secure the center line, so I can secure the bow and stern lines without the boat drifting off.

As for always securing the boat in a lock, the Oxford canal doesn't have any bollards so you don't always have the option

Yeah we use the centre rope that way also. Approaching a mooring Lynn will hop off with centre rope in hand. pull the boat snugly to the bank, this allows me to hop off securing bow and stern. If on a canal and moring for more than a day we secure the boat with all 3 ropes. The other advantage is casting off, if Lynn holds the middle rope, I untie the bow, then on the stern. Lynn can then let the front of the boat drift out, and hop on the gunwale midships. Job done. For a singlehanded the centre rope is invaluable in this respect, as if when approaching the bank exiting with centre rope in hand, the entire boat can be locked off without bow or stern swinging out into the cut in the path of other craft, allowing ample time to moor securely instead of rushing to lock off bow & stern, then go back and do it properly.

Yeah we use the centre rope that way also. Approaching a mooring Lynn will hop off with centre rope in hand. pull the boat snugly to the bank, this allows me to hop off securing bow and stern. If on a canal and moring for more than a day we secure the boat with all 3 ropes. The other advantage is casting off, if Lynn holds the middle rope, I untie the bow, then on the stern. Lynn can then let the front of the boat drift out, and hop on the gunwale midships. Job done. For a singlehanded the centre rope is invaluable in this respect, as if when approaching the bank exiting with centre rope in hand, the entire boat can be locked off without bow or stern swinging out into the cut in the path of other craft, allowing ample time to moor securely instead of rushing to lock off bow & stern, then go back and do it properly.

You have to use all three ropes on the bath end of the K&A cause of the bloody great “party boat” that goes thundering up and down at night. Most of the skippers are ok and will slowdown. One used to go belting through ripping all the boats out from the bank. Pulled my boat out late at night I threw a mooring hammer at his boat but missed I was in my kacks at the time, the party boat was full of tarts on a hen night. Now I only have a fitters hammer to put my pins in lol.

You have to use all three ropes on the bath end of the K&A cause of the bloody great “party boat” that goes thundering up and down at night. Most of the skippers are ok and will slowdown. One used to go belting through ripping all the boats out from the bank. Pulled my boat out late at night I threw a mooring hammer at his boat but missed I was in my kacks at the time, the party boat was full of tarts on a hen night. Now I only have a fitters hammer to put my pins in lol.

:o:) Hi Bro forgot all about that bloody party boat ;) Again another good use for the centre rope :D Although strangling the skipper with it would have been a better use :D