Paddington Arm - journey time?

labougie

Featured Posts

Magnetman - we've been downriver in Petite - locked through Richmond and took the tide down aiming to get to central London at low water. Everything was fine until approaching Westminster when it actually became unpleasantly lumpy - that sort of randomised directionless swell doesn't suit an open 12 footer at all and Francinette got frightened so we turned tail and ran back only to discover we had (only a little but still too much) wind over tide so it was just as horrid until Chelsea Bridge. She's not anxious to repeat the experience hence the interest in the canal route. Of course, early morning before the trip boats are running would be a much better bet and I'll suggest it, but don't hold your breath. Does the Limehouse lock operate at 5.30am?

There was an additional problem on that trip - for complicated reasons the outboard is a long shaft and although I didn't notice anything at the time, it overheated next time we went out and I discovered that I had only two vanes on the impellor instead of six! Must have got too close to the putty and picked up enough grit to marmalise the impellor although (disconcertingly) I can't think where.

I'll have a chat with Herself.

Quite a small outboard by the look of it.

Not that surprised you are considering the canal route. Central London is rough in normal hours. I went out at 6am in august this year to teddington, on two seperate occasions and have done the same a few times before that albeit in a larger boat.

Check with the marina office. Bookable from 0530 I believe.

It's quite impressive it's still floating! Yeah, we love it here. Ours is the boat with a Cameron mask wearing a pig nose in the window! ;)

I did notice they have a cracked glass in the window so someone has hit them a little bit at some point.

The thread looks a bit confused now not sure if labougie thought you were commenting on the seaworthiness of "petite" when you said about the houseboat still floating :unsure:

Edited by magnetman

"Quite a small outboard by the look of it."

Yes - 4hp. It pushes her along really well and we often punch tides between Richmond and Chiswick but (reality check!) but I'd be far less confident down there.

It is rough down there. One of my favourite pictures from the tideway (under tower bridge). I was on a 40x9ft steel canal boat at time :huh:

About Mid day on a summer weekend if I remember right..

They did speed up for me ;)

P1010008_zps6rngywbu.jpg

(Trip boat just out of picture to the left)

Edited by magnetman

That's actually not a bad idea. Pitch the tent quietly after dark and get going at first light and nobody will even know. Plus the evils won't be able to mess with you during the night.

Rather you than me! I think that island is actually just a mass of bird shit. I don't think it's inhabitants will take too kindly to a visitor for the night.

Once we have a date set, I'll contact St Pancras Cruising club to ask them about an overnight pitch and failing that, use the Camley Street park. Many thanks for all the info.

The Camley Street park is a nature reserve, so you may meet wildlife there too.

It has a building on it (I went to an event in there two years ago), which may well have a caretaker or some other sort of security. If it doesn't, it needs some, like any building in central London. So if you do chance it and camp there, stay well away from the building and keep a low profile. Here's a cautionary tale for you: remember what supposedly happened to Brennus the Gaul in 390BC when he attacked the Capitoline Hill in Rome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Manlius

The Camley Street park is a nature reserve, so you may meet wildlife there too.

It has a building on it (I went to an event in there two years ago), which may well have a caretaker or some other sort of security. If it doesn't, it needs some, like any building in central London. So if you do chance it and camp there, stay well away from the building and keep a low profile. Here's a cautionary tale for you: remember what supposedly happened to Brennus the Gaul in 390BC when he attacked the Capitoline Hill in Rome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Manlius

Just to clarify

My suggestion of camley street would definitely be preceded by asking for permission - would not advise doing it without asking :)

Rather you than me! I think that island is actually just a mass of bird shit. I don't think it's inhabitants will take too kindly to a visitor for the night.

It's always looked fine to me. I think I'd rather deal with a few geese than a gang of knife wielding muggers in the middle of the night.

dsc05533.jpg

Edited by blackrose

It's always looked fine to me. I think I'd rather deal with a few geese than a gang of knife wielding muggers in the middle of the night.

dsc05533.jpg

Put like that a Canada goose sounds ok but I once tried to take eggs from one of their nests and they scared the living shite out of me. I guess if they don't have nests it might be ok but if they do I would prefer handgun wheeling maniac crackheads to Canada geese tbh :lol: